The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 GXE with 65K miles. While researching the net about Altima's and idle problems, I found this site. After a quick search of the boards I found other owner's with similar problems. Quite a few of the responses in the other posts recommended replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. This weekend I went to Autozone got the parts and installed them. The process was quick and painless. The engine runs much smoother now but, while the inconsistent idle has decreased, it is still present.

After the engine has warmed the following occurs:

1) the rpms on the tach begin to fluctuate between 400 and 700 rpm.

and/or

2) The engine will idle consistently at 700 rpm but it is shaking more than a stripper at a bachelor party

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
626 Posts
check your maf sensor connector and examine all your vacuum lines to check for leaks or bad hoses

if all is well test your IAC valve...change fuel filter...and so on

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Hey dogfest, I've been doing my tuneup for awhile now and was just wondering if you knew exactly how to clean the MAF sensor. SHould I just wipe it down or spray it or what?

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
^there are TB cleaner spray in the auto store. Pick the one that's electronic sensor safe and follow directions on can. A friend of mine almost have the engine hydrolocking for ignoring the instructions on the can. You might want to buy 2 cans, 1 for thoroughly cleaning the TB and MAF, and another to wash the intake hose.
Also, usually denatured alcohol with air brish also usable. If you're cleaning the wire element inside the MAF, use Q-tip, being very careful not to break the thin wire.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
ASHURA said:
^there are TB cleaner spray in the auto store. Pick the one that's electronic sensor safe and follow directions on can. A friend of mine almost have the engine hydrolocking for ignoring the instructions on the can. You might want to buy 2 cans, 1 for thoroughly cleaning the TB and MAF, and another to wash the intake hose.
Also, usually denatured alcohol with air brish also usable. If you're cleaning the wire element inside the MAF, use Q-tip, being very careful not to break the thin wire.
Good shit man, thanks:D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts