The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Polished Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not sure what the effects of using 5w40 would be......Does anyone know?

The oil is Shell Rotella T Synthetic, it is used mainly marketed for large heavy duty trucks,
.......but has has all the latest gasoline engine credentials (API SL, SJ, SH)

Anyway ... walmart has it for $37 for 6 GALLONS.....thats $1.55 a quart......FOR FULL SYNTHETIC

http://www.rotella.com/rotella_t_synthetic.html

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Synthetic at that PRICE?

:cool: :flipbird: Wild Willy should hear about this, He
will have a good answer.

It`s made by Shell and seems to have all the numbers and is fully synthetic.:eek:

Would my engine know it is not Mobile1:p

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,809 Posts
Re: Synthetic at that PRICE?

Ratwayne said:
:cool: :flipbird: Wild Willy should hear about this, He
will have a good answer.

It`s made by Shell and seems to have all the numbers and is fully synthetic.:eek:

Would my engine know it is not Mobile1:p
I am confused, Why you pickin on me? What I do?

·
sardonic patron
24 Posts
Dude, that's DIESEL OIL...

gibaholic said:
I am not sure what the effects of using 5w40 would be......Does anyone know?

The oil is Rotella T Synthetic, it is used maily for large trucks,
.......but has has all the latest gasoline engine credentials (API SL, SJ, SH)

Anyway walmart has it for $37 for 6 GALLONS.....thats $1.55 a quart......FOR FULL SYNTHETIC

http://www.rotella.com/rotella_t_synthetic.html

What do you guys think?
...I wouldn't use it in a gas engine. :rolleyes:

·
M W S
386 Posts
stick with what the owner's manual says.

take a look at the thread by hee1 who is desparately trying to save his warranty

if you think the savings is worth risking your warranty, then go for it.

let us all know what you finally decide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
gibaholic said:
hmmmm.....the website says " it’s ideally suited for use in heavy-duty and light-duty diesel and gasoline engines, even in the most extreme conditions. "
Call your Nissan service center, and ask to talk to the smartest lube/oil guy they have. Ask him what he thinks about using that oil in your car.

OpalBlue

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it is API SJ energy conserving I or II than it is ok to use in the Altima (actually you can also use some other oils, notable SG/CC and SG/CD according to the owner's manual). The manual does call for 5w30, or 10w30 or 10w40 if the temp is above 0, so 5w40 isn't technically specified, though you would be hard pressed to argue that the larger range is not acceptable. It sounds like the oil ou are considering does meet the specs.

Personally I don't use synthetic, but I don't want to start WWIII :D to each his own.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Synthetic at that price?

Wild Willy I`m not picking on you, I respect your opinion, that`s all.

This whole synthetic thing is confusing, someone mentioned in another thread that Syntec was not entirely synthetic...I wonder if that is true?

I use Mobile 1, I figure from these forms , the general opinion is IT IS DEFINATELY THE BEST!:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hunh???

marks said:

take a look at the thread by hee1 who is desparately trying to save his warranty

This isn't exactly the same as Hee1's little adventure. I would try to stick to the viscosity recommented in the owners manual.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,809 Posts
RATWAYNE

Ok, that is nice, I feel better now. I use Castrol, the conventional oil, I change my oil so often, i do not think i need synthetic. If i did use it I still would change it at 2-3K i am just goofey that way. would drive me nuts to have oil in there that long. It will take me 2 years to hit 10K on this car.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,809 Posts
For A couple Bucks

Scottnly is right, not worth the experiment. Go with a confirmed good synthetic, and then you can rest easy. If I did use synthetic,I would not skimp. I love castrol and have had great luck with it. I willbe tempted to go to Mobile 1 after about 3-4K. Ah but that is another year or so.

·
Polished Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know this is a good synthetic......Many truckers are getting a million miles out of their engines using the stuff. Granted they are diesel engines.......but the oil exceeds all the gaseline ratings to. That satisfies the nissan warranty. The viscosity is also within the nissans limits 5-30 to 10-40, they just recommend 5-30.

Looking on the shell boards, their "ask the expert" says it is fine in gasoline passenger cars.

I am still going to do some research, but I think I will probably use it.......I dont see it as a gamble ( not like a dry 95 shot )

·
Registered
432 Posts
I can`t get a Mobile 1 Oil filter here is NS so I use OEM .

I use Mobil 1 because it is the best and most Alty owners in the forms will agree.:rolleyes:

Castrol probably would be my second choice. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
marks said:

hey~~ why u pickin on me for?!~~ i didn't get into this trouble trying to save 5$! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.