The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Infinity reference 5x7 installation issue

Well I have a 93 gxe and I'm trying to modify the stock door speaker mount which had a 4x6 in it to accept my reference 5x7's that I just got. I know I can make the fit in the mount with some modification and new holes to mount the speaker, magnet clearance may be an issue which can be resolved with a spacer. My main problem is that it looks like my rubber surround may not have enough clearance with the bottom of the speaker grill in the door even without a spacer. Right now it looks like I'm, going to have to cut off the stock grill to be able to fit these in properly.

Did anyone else have the same problem when putting in the 5x7's? I guess I should probably save myself the trouble and cut out the speaker grill and find some 5x7 grills to go over the speaker since the 5752fc's don't come with the grills since they should be able to be used with stock grills.

Also I am wondering if I should spare myself the agony of modifyint the stock mounts and just get some 1/2" mdf and use the stock speaker as a template, mount the mdf to the stock mount through the stock holes and use self tapping screws to attach the references to the MDF. Of course the grills would have to be cut out which I have no problem with.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after checking clearances and stuff without spacer over 1/4" they basket on the 5x7's won't clear the cutout for the 4x6 totally. Looks like I will be getting the mdf and making an adapter afterall.

·
I'm the drunk member
1,196 Posts
did 94 gxe come with 4x6 too? If yes then u looking at maybe 30min - 1hour work very easy, u just have to sand the pod in some places, and clearance for the magnet is just right.
Also cut off 2 mounts from the speakers the ones that located on the sides and drill holes for other 4.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just sand the pod so that the basket will clear the cutout? Also on the 5x7 the screw holes don't line up with the factory ones.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got one in after making a spacer out of some 3/8" masonite since the 5x7 basket wouldn't clear the cut out for the stock 4x6. drilled new holes in the mount and cut the grill out of the door panel and it fits like a glove. Now to work on the passenger side tomorrow hehe. Only problem I ran into was the 4x6 spacing for the screws was 4-1/4" and the 5x7's was 4-1/2".

·
Registered
214 Posts
I didn't have any clearance problems with rubber, good thing you reminded me, I'll check it out anyway. But when bass hits, something is rattling in passenger door, maybe its the speakers hitting the grill, have to check.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trust me, I took your advice into consideration and the basket wouldn't sit properly into the cutout thats ont he mount. It actually doesn't look bad at all right now.

This is only temporaty until I can clean it up a little. I didn't have time with work to screw around for a week getting them in right now. my blown speakers were really beginning to annoy me. I wish it was that easy but with my car....nothing is ever easy for some reason.

Regardless of what it will look like for now next year I will be following something similar to TL's door pod guide for my components that will be going in!

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144492
Also even with the 3/8" masonie for the adapter right now there is still 1 or 2 eights of surround where the grill used to be. I will take a pic later to compare a stocker vs the infinity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts