The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Info for people interested in clearing there headlights

What's up Altima folks, last week I cleared my "nissan" maxima headlights and I figured I would share the info, write up and pics with my fellow nissan brothers, this mod is the same for your cars. Heres the write up and a link to the pics.

2002 Orange headlight reflector removal: Info & pics
Tonight I decided to take appart my headlight housing and remove the annoying orange reflector. Heres a brief right up of what I did.

Tools: 1 hair drier
2 butter knives
1 sharp knive{swis army knife}
Silicone adhesive

First I started out by removing my headlight and bringing it into my room. Then I removed the HID ballast and all the bulbs{actually I left my HID in}. Next I grabed my hair drier and began heating up the lower right corner of the headlight. Once the glue got good and hot I grabed my knive and started pushing through the outside of the headlight capsule while constantly heating up the area I was working on with my hair drier. I worked it through a litte bit at a time. Once I made about 7 inches of progress I put my butter knive into the center of the area I cut through, doing this allowed the glue to not come back in contact and re-harden. Then with my knife I started cutting through the other side{oppisite direction from where I started}, then after doing another 8 inches of cutting I shoved another butter knive into the parameter of the headlight. From there I just continued cutting and shortly after the headlight was comming apart, I now used my butter knives as wedges and slowly{gentley too} seperated the headlight. Once the headlight was completly opened I used another butter knive to pop out the little orange refector, it just poped right out. After that I looked everything over to make sure I did not leave any stains or fingerprints inside the headlight.

Now it was time to put the headlight back together. I just re-heated the glue a little bit at a time and pushed the headlight back together.

Warning: This procedure is very dangerous, you can very easaly screw up and crack your headlight housing. The key to doing this is taking your time and looking everything over twice before doing it. If you break your headlights, don't blame me.

The pics of the procedure can be found here: http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/howto/orange reflector removal/ {thank Russ for hosting the pics}.

Also, I examined the tail lights on your altima's and just like our headlights your orange tail light reflector will pop right out.

Heres the finsished product.

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
emax - great job, i was going to tackle this project soon. i helped my friend do this on his S2000 and it was pretty intense, but the look is worth the work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, but why?

I assume this thread is about removing the amber triangle from the rear edge of the headlight cover. Looking down into the headlight, it doesn't appear as though this amber lens does anything accept perhaps make the blinker (turn signal) more visible from beside the car. So I'm guessing that is exactly why it is there.

Now my wife actually likes the way the amber looks. I'm indifferent. What I don't understand is what was so offensive about it that anyone felt it had to be removed? Perhaps it didn't go well with the particular color your car is painted?

Confused

OpalBlue

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
O_BLUE

I have to agree with you on that! I really fail to see the purpose, and I like the contrast in color of the stock set up. Oh well, if that is what u like, roll with it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I cleared the amber out of my headlights is the same reason people replace there amber turn singnals with clear ones{AKA clear corners, tails etc.}. That reason is obviuosly becuase I think it looks way better, most car enthiusiast would agree, infact you guy's are the first people do dislsike it or find the idea of doing strange. Ohh well, I guess different stokes for different folks..

Ohh yes and originality is another factor, I like making my car(s) look and drive different then all the masses. 99% of car enthusiast are the same way. BTW, why do anything to your car? It's all just a big waste of time and money :rolleyes: .

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
No it looks good alright. I think us Altima owners are enamored enough with our new headlights/taillights for the time being. I will do it someday but it's intense work for a minor cosmetic change.

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
emax - looks great, i just did on mine a few days ago. here is pic.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
ritepina said:
That's it. Pina is the mod king! So I guess with the sidemarkers you don't need the side reflector in the front headlight anymore? What did you replace the two orange lenses with? How hard did they come apart? How well did they seal back together?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ritepina said:
Looks good! Just keep an eye out for condensation.

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
it was actually pretty smooth. i used a heat gun and went very slowly. sealed back together well. as for lenses didn't replace, just removed.

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
emax - tell me about your clear bra?

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
Altimat said:
So what then, yellow bulbs? Are they visible now?
haven't changed bulbs yet, but may replace with yellow. the orange piece on the side is only a reflector and the bulb on top is recessed back about 2 inches.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
The orange piece on the side is the side marker on everyone else's Altima. You'll have to put in yellow bulbs right? How does it look lit?

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
not sure the legality of yellow or orange bulbs here in cali. i will probably go with a whiter bulb because this is a dual pole lamp. it is on whenever the lights are on and don't want the yellow.

i think it looks great. will take a better pic of entire front end tommorow or tuesday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ritepina said:
emax - tell me about your clear bra?
It was a PITA to install, other then that it is hard to see under most lighting and it seems to work great. I branch fell off a tree a few weeks ago and slammed into my front end{mid air} while i was going 55 MPH. The branch literaly exploded into pieces and did no damage to my front bumper or hood. With out the clear bra I bet I would have had some nasty marks in the nose of my new car.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Bulbs

I replaced my HID's with two Yellow bug lights from Lowes. Have not seen a bug on my front end since!:angry1:

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
9.9 out of 10 dentists choose...

emax said:
That reason is obviuosly becuase I think [clear lenses] looks way better, most car enthiusiast would agree...
Ah, well, I have to go with Opal and Willy on this one. I just don't get the fascination with all the bulb- and lens-changing. It seems like every second Honda in my area has the clear-everything treatment, and I for one think it looks silly. Juvenile. And on a nice, high-end car like the Maxima -- forgive me -- stupid.

But as you said, Emax, different strokes for different folks.
Ohh yes and originality is another factor, I like making my car(s) look and drive different then all the masses. 99% of car enthusiast are the same way.
The term you've chosen to repeatedly use, "car enthusiast," stretches a mighty wide chasm of meaning. As an enthusiast myself, I'm not sure if I like being lumped in with the Rice-a-Roni crowd. Perhaps the term "car customizer" would apply more in your context, Emax. Just give me a twisty, traffic-free road (living in Dallas, I don't remember what the hell those are like), a taut suspension, a manual transmission and a willing engine and I'm in nirvana. You can keep the decals, canister mufflers, three-inch drops, fake HIDs and cleared whatever.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

PS - Do I sound like as much an old fogey as I think I do? ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: 9.9 out of 10 dentists choose...

jkwright said:

Ah, well, I have to go with Opal and Willy on this one. I just don't get the fascination with all the bulb- and lens-changing. It seems like every second Honda in my area has the clear-everything treatment, and I for one think it looks silly. Juvenile. And on a nice, high-end car like the Maxima -- forgive me -- stupid.

But as you said, Emax, different strokes for different folks.

The term you've chosen to repeatedly use, "car enthusiast," stretches a mighty wide chasm of meaning. As an enthusiast myself, I'm not sure if I like being lumped in with the Rice-a-Roni crowd. Perhaps the term "car customizer" would apply more in your context, Emax. Just give me a twisty, traffic-free road (living in Dallas, I don't remember what the hell those are like), a taut suspension, a manual transmission and a willing engine and I'm in nirvana. You can keep the decals, canister mufflers, three-inch drops, fake HIDs and cleared whatever.

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

PS - Do I sound like as much an old fogey as I think I do? ;)
Wow, so I am "ricey" for doing a nice clean mod like removing the orange lenses? It's ignorant people like you who have no idea what the meaning ricey even is. I for one am anything but "ricey" Infact I find it VERYinsulting for you to even "lump" me in with the "ricey crowd".

I am probably one of the most performace oriented people you will ever find on any maxima or altima club. I guess you thought my Supercharged 5spd I30T was ricey to huh? How about around 330 HP in a sleeper like a I30? Do you have any idea how fast that car was? That car was the furthest thing from ricey you will ever see.. How about when I imported the only set of headers for a max from New Zealand and supplied dynoes for every one to see? Ya that's me, real ricey all right :angel1: . Lots of people got to see my ricey aluminum flywheels and ECU mods. In the last 2 years I put about $15K into making my cars faster and handle better. I would LOVE to see you call me ricey out on the street...

BTW, removing the clear lights on my max was just a nice touch, nothing annoying or offensive(like your post) looking, it does not yell out : look at me!. It makes the car look clean, that's it. It's not a 2 foot wing or a 5 inch drop. Also, I have never put any stickers on my car(s) you smart ass.. Don't make comments about people that you don't know jack shit about.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts