The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a Flash Drive to listen to my music. I have MP3 files arranged in more than 1 Folder by Music Genre. Flash Drives used are an 8 GB and 16 GB drives, formatted FAT 32. Problem: A lot of latency in switching between Songs in different Folders. The Player seems to get stuck in a Folder. Whatever Folder is chosen upon initial start up almost becomes the default. I say default because I can see all the Folders when I choose Source/Folders. I am using 5 Folders each with approx. 50 songs in it. Space used by these is only 600 MB. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chance, I just picked up my Altima yesterday. So, I am looking to learn as much as I can about the car. Some of the issues I have seen with other cars is if you have a mix of VBR and CBR music (ie, variable bit rate and constant bit rate), this can cause the radio to do funny things. Out of curiousity, will it move to a different folder once you hit the last song in a given folder or does it start looping on that same folder? I ask as I tend to organize my USB sticks by artist, so, I may have 40 or 50 folders on a stick. May have to out and play with the radio just to see what it will do.

Something else you may want ponder as I am finding that the radio is very quirky with having a cell phone plugged in. Are you experiencing the same issues when you have your phone plugged in as when it is not?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say "radio" I take it you mean the Player or Info-tainment system, as the Radio (Tuner) is just a part of the overall system. I am using MP3's and am not aware of which type they may be, as they are ripped off my iTunes, and some were created a decade or more ago, and others are recent.
It seems to Loop amongst the last few songs, as if there is a cache that needs to be cleared.
If I re-start the Player by switching to another function (like the Radio), then come back, it seems to clear up.
I do not have a cell plugged in.
Thanks for your insights!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chance, I would be talking about the whole info-tainment system. I have started playing with my system and I have not noticed any issues with switching between folders (just played with it and bounced between a few different folders) just to see what it would do based on what you had described happening to you. Keep in mind that I have only played with it one time for about 10 minutes in the driveway with the car off, but radio going. I stuck the USB into the USB port, turned on the car and then told the radio to look at the USB stick. It immediately started playing the first folder, first song on the USB. I let it play for a little bit, then I told it to browse and I picked a different folder and picked a song in the middle of the folder. Poof, music started playing of this new song. Let is play a little more and repeated picking yet a different folder and song, and poof, that started playing. With all this being said, I did notice that sometimes pushing a button, you will see it highlight, but it will not perform the function. I found by simply keeping my finger on the button for about a second, that would cause the function to then work. I know this trick as I have the same issue in my Jag (its radio is not super responsive, granted, that radio is 8 years old and was one of the first to have that sort of interaction).

Also, all of the music on my USB I have burned directly off of a CD and set up to be either 128 or 192 bit constant bit rate (CBR) music in MP3 format. The Jag will not play variable bit rate (VBR) music. Not sure if the Nissan will or will not (have not looked in the manual far enough to get into that detail). I also have probably 30 folders and 500 pieces of music on that USB stick (being a 16 GB stick). I may stress the system and put in the stick from the Jag as I know I have about 200 folders (with multiple subfolders) on that with about 3000 songs on it that is essentially full. Lets give it a lot to think about and see what it does.

I am thinking that I am going to need to take the car out for a long drive and just let if it does something different. I know the radio needs to read the USB and make a complete list of what is on the USB before it can access everything. It may be possible that it has an undocumented music limitation with the number of songs that can be on a stick. That would explain the issues you are seeing. I would look online and you should be able to find a CBR/VBR converter and that will tell you which bit rate your music is in. I know this can be an issue with players.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chance99, I have been playing with my car a little bit and am starting to find some of the same issues that you are commenting on. I arrange my USB sticks using a folder for the artists name and then under that the album from that artist. So, I put on an artist and let it start playing an album and then put on the "random song" option. I noticed that it picked all of the songs from that one song folder and nothing from anything else on the USB stick. It even started repeating songs from that folder. So, it would appear that the "random song" function of the radio has some limitations to it.

I am going to continue to play with it as I still have not played with the radio to see if it will repeat the same song sequence when starting and stopping the car like you mentioned. I don't see this overall as a "show stopper" as I tend to listen to music all the way through and album and then let it move on to the next album and even the next artist (which the radio seems to do).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts