The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inner tierod replacement

Just find a free play (by moving wheel) in horizontal direction looks like the inner or outer tierod joints.

Do I need any special tools to remove inner tierod joint (one on the power steering gear side)? Or maybe you have some advises how to do it?

Thanks Alexei

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Inner tie rods? I have never seen those go bad unless the rack was shot or the car was in an accident. Outer tie rods I see bad everyday.

First you must find out if the outer tierod is reverse thread or not then buy the right replacement. Second you have to remove the cotter pin on the outer tierod. I usually cut them off and pull them out with side cutters.

Next you need to remove the 19mm castle nut on the outer tierod. Sometimes the stud will spin, if that happens just take a prybar and wedge it between the tierod and the knuckle, use it for leverage.

Once you have the castle nut off thread it on so it is flush with the tierod stud. Hit it square upward with a hammer. It should pop right out of the knuckle.

Now depending if the vehicle is rusty or nut the tierod itself should unscrew. If not you will have to heat it up and then unscrew it. Leave the nut that is threaded on to the steering arm there.

Thread the new outer tierod on the steering arm and reinstall it into the knuckle. Do not reuse the old cotter pin, get a new one.

When all is said and done, have it aligned.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks REVEREND D!

The roads around area were I live is really bad. And car was newer in accident and I have about 60K on it.

I already replaced inner tie rod (repaired by shop) on the left side then I saw it removed (tierod itself) from my car the ball joint had significant free play but the outer was ok. Now I have it on the right (driver) side and I'm going to check it tomorrow is it inner or outer for this time. I think it's inner because the noise is coming some were in the middle (were the steering gear is and have same symptoms as it was on the lest side).
If it’s an inner do you know what the wrench size I need to unscrew inner socket (one inside dust boot)?

Thanks,
Alexei

1 - 3 of 3 Posts