The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Install instructions of UR pulley with pix(Kinda long)

From my bf who did the install:

First of all the install is very straight forward. The instructions
that Unorthadoxed Racing provides are pretty thorough. Tools we used were an air gun, air wrench, pulley puller, couple of misc wrenches, floor jack, dremel and a phillips screw driver. First disclaimer: If you have a 1st gen Altima, I would recommend you go ahead and file or grind the timing chain cover no matter what. There is really no way to tell if it will have the clearance without putting the pulley on and then pulling it all the way back off with the puller. We used a dremmel and a couple of bits to sand down these little raised ridges which are underneath where the pulley sits. You'll see what I mean when you pull the stock pulley off. Unorthodoxed Racing staples a little paper to the front of the instructions that says something to this effect. Second disclaimer: This is going to be a condesensed version of the install with a few pix just so you can get a basic idea. Again, the instructions are pretty straight foward that are provide to you with the pulley. I'm adding a few pix along with each paragraph and they are all different.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You'll have to jack up the car on the passengers side and remove the tire to gain access and room to work. There is a small piece of plastic molding you will have to remove to gain access directly to the pulley. This is 2 screws and two bolts with phillips screw head tops. Remove this and set it aside.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We next started with removing the belts. We just loosened the alternator up all the way and completely took off the smallest A/C pulley. This was the most time efficient thing for us to do. Both belts came off easily. The belts that Unorthoxed Racing recommends are Gates belts. Alternator-Gates K060507 A/C-Gates K040325. I was able to find both of these at my local O'Reilley's for about $33.00 for both.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We used the air gun with a big socket and it popped right off. It's
a BIG screw. And then the pulley puller pulled the stock off very
easily. *This is when you go ahead and grind the timing chain cover. Dremel made this very easy. There are little raised areas on the cover that you will see.* Next we just put the Unorthoxed Racing pulley on, it slide right in. We then decided to go ahead with putting all the belts back on but not tightening every thing up yet and put the big bolt back onto the pulley. Tighten this bolt to recommended 105-112 ft-lbs. I did mine to 110 ft-lbs. You may need to stick something in the pulley to stop it from spinning to be able to tighten it. We then put the A/C pulley back on, tightened it up, tightened the alternator back up. Made sure the belts did not have too much play. Started it up. *In our instance it was screeching real bad because the pulley was hitting the timing chain cover. Avoid this :) * Here is a pic of the pulley installed with the screwdriver for reference to see the size.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put the plastic guard back on, your tire back on, let the car down.
Have you and your buddy sit on the car to make sure it settles back down :) All in all it's a good mod. Car seems eager to pull harder in the mid and upper gears. Time estimated would have been about 50-60 minutes with air tools and if we would have grinded first. The A/C belt began sqeaking few days later. I take it the belts had just stretched a little. Tightening of the A/C pulley cleared this right up. No problems thus far. Good mod.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is a pic of the stock one off. It is noticeabley heavier, at least 5 times heavier and bigger of course. I took a pic of it off with a screwdriver next to it that is 7 1/2" long. Pic previously with the screwdriver next to the Unorthoxed Racing pulley for comparison.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
damn girl..im gonna have to give you the TOPNOTCH award...TIGHTEST GIRL RACER. some of these lame ass talkers cant even change out their headlight bulbs. :)

·
Official Troll
3,031 Posts

·
was up
2,503 Posts
this def needs to go in the faq...so when someone asks:D very nice detailed instructions

did yall get the header in yet or is it gonna be the weekend project?

·
Girl-Moderator
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It got put in last night :)

Neegra said:
this def needs to go in the faq...so when someone asks:D very nice detailed instructions

did yall get the header in yet or is it gonna be the weekend project?

·
Playing PS2
456 Posts
Av is definatley a smart alty owner...making the Texas Chapter proud..

Pillage

·
Registered
480 Posts
vtec killer said:
hey altima vixen, i got a set of jwt cams right here if you want to come install them....practice makes perfect you know.
damn, u got em that fast? i thought u said earlier u weren't buying anymore performance mods.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts