The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i think i've had the alty long enough for me to try and build a computer for the car =) ... if anyone knows of a case that is slimmer in regard to height than 88mm (or ~3.46 inches) please let me know of the link...i found this one here http://www.yeongyang.com/products/yy9201.htm and was thinking i might go with this but i still gotta measure the clearance under the passenger seat...if it wont fit either i will have to rig some sort of custom case (i've seen them done out of plexiglass, wood, etc) but really my only need is a powersupply under 150w and i'll be mounting a motherboard with sound, lan, video onboard . other than that i dont know yet i'll try to run the slowest processor i can find as long as its still 150ish mhz or more and even then i might underclock it as that much power is not needed for simply playing mp3s. i plan on controlling it through a num pad and at first transmitting through a RF transceiver however later when i get the system i may opt to get the computers lineout directly to the aux in of the stock head unit (non bose 6cd) . so the two mounting options now are either under the seat (although that ugly ass cut out with the vent is bothering me) or a trunk mount. if anyone has experience doing this in any car or even better the 2002 give me any tips you can =p ... btw i live in dallas so i dont know if charcoal interior + computer = death by temperature ... either way i'll prolly run power inverter as opposed to DC - DC system cause i sure dont wanna build my own and i can't find anywhere that would sell good ones, post any relevant links please :D

·
Former Alty Owner
961 Posts
Why create a home made computer to run MP3's??? Why not buy a new Head Unit that supports MP3's and burn the MP3's at home. To go through all that trouble just to hear MP3's is crazy, unless you're planning to do other things with this computer. Explain a little more about this.. I could be way off here... :confused:

·
Polished Member
51 Posts
because you can use 40+ gig laptop hardrive....and have your whole collection of mp3s right there. Use 802.11b to download new songs to the collection in your car.

If you have a computer there.....you could also hook in navigation functions.

I have been thinking about this as well.......just trying to find the right place to put it..... I am not quite daring enough to rip out the factory unit quite yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.