The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Installed hybrid OEM/DNA cat back, resonator & RL y-pipe - 3.5 6MT sedan

Well, I'll make this short. Took me approximately 4.5+ hours to get this done.

Parts:
- DNA Motoring 3" to 2.5" dual stainless cat-back - $234 shipped through Amazon
- Different Trends 3" stainless perforated resonator - $39.95 shipped through eBay
- RL stainless y-pipe - Racing Line - $314.78 shipped through RL
- Various parts (3 - 3" band clamps & a 3" x 6" extension pipe) - Locally through Jeg's and Autozone.

Total cost was around $625 for all parts.

This exhaust is not fit for the 3.5L sedan even though it is marketed as such. It is approx. 6" too short in the mid-pipe area. I didn't know this until I had the rear section on and the front section on when I realized. Luckily, Autozone carried 3" exhaust parts in stock.

The resonator on the exhaust is hollow. YES! HOLLOW! So I purchased a real resonator and cut out the hollow one.

Exhaust is extremely tight fitting and I need to figure out how to lower the rear mid-pipe approx 1/2-1" because it is sitting against exhaust heat shield now.

Sound is aggressive with the muffler inserts removed. A bit too loud for me. I couldn't even imagine what this would sound like with the hollow resonator. OVERKILL! So I am extremely glad I put the resonator in before installing. I also installed the muffler inserts and took another drive. Much better sound and no drone on the freeway.

So, on with the pictures...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Hollow resonator cut off. Perforated resonator installed.

Pictures of hollow resonator vs. perforated resonator.

All the goodies.

I removed the entire exhaust from the stock y-pipe back to the mufflers all in one piece without taking any of the exhaust apart.

Stupid steel 3" pipe that is approx. 6" long that I had to put in place to fill the void. ( THANK YOU AUTOZONE FOR COMING THROUGH!)

Rear after I took a test drive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of right now I am absolutely amazed with these band clamps. No leaks that I was able to detect at all. Saved me from having to go to a shop and get welded and I was not going to use the u-clamps on this exhaust at all. Eventually I plan to replace the steel extension pipe with stainless and have a buddy weld everything where the band clamps are, but for now... ...I'm good.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the scrapes and bruises. :grin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice, good job!! Wish i could afford to spend that on my exhaust, if i could i would and do it just like you did. Lets hear some sound clips/vids???

·
Registered
55 Posts
I see you! Good work. I've heard before those clamps work really well actually. Do you still have the link to the cat back? I want to see what the deal is and maybe use the pipes to complete my exhaust.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you! Good work. I've heard before those clamps work really well actually. Do you still have the link to the cat back? I want to see what the deal is and maybe use the pipes to complete my exhaust.
EXHAUST LINK

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I realized these DNA catback mufflers are nothing more than hollow tin can's with perforated cores and 4" coffee can tips. They do nothing but create annoying drone in the trunk.

So, I took a chance and created a hybrid set-up this evening and am absolutely blown away. I swapped the OEM mufflers back onto the car. Exact fit. No modification needed. They bolted directly to the DNA catback rear y-pipe. I will change out the OEM tip's to something more my liking, but I am done...

...for now....

:devil

So, factory manifolds (w/precats) ==> Racingline y-pipe ==> 3" Different Trends SPORT resonator ==> 3" mid-pipe ==> 2.5" rear y-pipe ==> OEM Nissan (Calsonic Kansei) mufflers.

Pictures and video to come at a later date. It's freaking cold here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, factory manifolds (w/precats) ==> Racingline y-pipe ==> 3" Different Trends SPORT resonator ==> 3" mid-pipe ==> 2.5" rear y-pipe ==> OEM Nissan (Calsonic Kansei) mufflers.
Once you start messing with the exhaust things can get ugly. Especially if you don't know what to expect. But you did great man with the install process and all fabrication you ran into. Wish I had a garage to play too. LoL When I asked for the product link< if I was to buy the exhaust I would use only the piping. The rest would go... Not replacing the Flowmasters. Are the pipes quality? I am getting tempted to buy the RL y-pipe man. It is sad how there is no other options available for our platform. ..

I wonder if RL pre-cats for the 3th gen will fit in our cars?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are the pipes quality?
Honestly, the piping and flanges are probably the only good thing about the entire system. Unless you can find a local shop to mandrel bend stainless 3" piping and build the 2.5" rear y-pipe split, paying $234 is still a hell of a deal just for that alone.

The mufflers actually show signs of premature rusting just in the few days they were on the car (in the snow, salt and rain). The piping appears to be a different SS. I'm going to assume the piping is T304 and the mufflers are T409 or even cheaper. The mufflers are super thin and you can actually flex the shell by hand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you still have this on your car? Any update? Thanks.
No. The only thing I have left from this is the rear y-pipe (temporary until I replace with modified stock one). It never lined up properly out the rear, the 3" piping scraped ALL the time on speed bumps and anything else slightly higher then the road. Continually replacing gaskets due to these impacts. I fabricated a 2.25" catback from leftover stock piping, some straight pipe from PepBoys and a Thrush glasspack for a resonator. Using the stock rear mufflers. Still running the Racingline Y-Pipe up front. Pleased with sound. Super quiet in car. Slight gurgle out the rear. I do have two stainless performance mufflers that might eventually replace stock mufflers, but not sure I care at this moment anymore. AND NO MORE SCRAPING!!!!!

Reactions: d0ugmac1

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[duplicate post]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts