The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed Front KYB AGX Struts**Updated Pics**

Well, finally got around to installing the Max. AGX struts up fornt. Also went and cut 1 coil off of my sprint springs to try and even the gap w/the bakc. Install went pretty easy except for some super rusted bolts, broken 3/8" adapter, and a strut stud that snapped and doesn't tighten.

The good news: They fit, there are a couple extra brackets on the bottom they aren't used. The adjustable stiffening settings work very nicely. The softest setting (1) rides like stock, very smooth. The stiff setting (4) really lets the suspension move nice and it tracks on a rail.

The bad news: The maxima strut might be taller than the altima ones, so there is no difference in the ride height of the vehicle. This surprised me since I cut 1 coil off of the top of the spring today. Maybe the springs will settle in the next couple weeks, but I'm not holding my breath since i've had these springs on my car for about 3 years. Maybe I should cut the bump stops in half, but I wasn't sure how exactly to cut them. But, I wish I had measured the difference in the strut height, if there is one. I will keep everyone updated on any changes.

Well, there you have it people, they fit, kinda.

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
taz said:
I have the max strut in my garage and the travel is the same. It's probably thatthe strut is so new and so stiff htet both the strut and the spring need to settle some.
That's what me and my friend who helped w/the install are thinking.

·
RacingLine Guy
5,846 Posts
well I'm glad someone finally stepped up to "officaly" confirm what I been saying since like october !

Shit me and redlion have bene on like suspension hunt the last while. he's on bushings I did max struts, A32 pillow mounts for 2nd gen d2's, the endlinks. Come on ppl the altima community is finally seeing real products for our cars.....but we still need more.

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
Hey, if the pillow mounts for the maxima works on the altima. Does that mean the altima and maxima shares the same strut mounts? I am trying to find camber plates for the front.

I know the coil spring seats might be different, but I am running GC's so that wont matter.

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Also, I didn't cut my bump stops any, could that make a difference, I don't think so, suspension travel, but you never know?

Would've taken pics, but couldn't find the digi cam until 10 at night. I should be able to take some pics of before/after and also i'll show the strut on the car and the extra brackets that aren't used.
Also, drove in to work today (22 miles on I95) on the 2 setting, a lot smoother over bridge joints and potholes than before. I will prolly just leave it on 2 for daily driving, but change it to 1 when i've got to drive 300 miles to NC this weekend.
Also, took it out last night to an empty parking lot on the 4 setting, wow, I can whip this thing around like no ones business. Only thing holding me back now is the stock rear struts and my wheel/tire combo that is heavy and slow to respond compared to the rest of the suspension.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
So, congrats Bowzer on a successfull install. So it went smooth with no problems eh? What type of springs do you have?

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$240 shipped from NOPI, instal went semi smooth, just so much rust.

On sprints, now w/1 coil cut off the top, hoping they settle, since there is no height difference as of now.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
^no he did that to even out the gap.. uhhh I hope we can find some rear struts that fit now.. I am still all for getting d2 though.

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decoy said:
^no he did that to even out the gap.. uhhh I hope we can find some rear struts that fit now.. I am still all for getting d2 though.

Correct, I just wish that I had either measured to see if there is a difference between the struts, or installed it w/out cutting the spring and see if there was much of a height difference. Oh well, you live, you learn

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BLACK SE said:
You can always go Illumina's in the front and HP's in the rear.
True, but I would love some adjustables in the rear. I rode in a Max w/full AGX setup and the rear gets very tight w/the setup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts