The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
W_______I_______D_______E
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I installed a GReddy catback w/ a high flow cat a couple days ago..

The replacement cat didn't have a hole for the o2 soo, I taped it good up in some metal to keep stuff from getting to it (water, dirt, etc.)

Here the thing though. No engine light. Am I lucky or will it come on as soon as I put my headers on??

And.. The sensor that goes into the cat, does that go into the downpipe when I install the headers?? If so should I get the hole for the second o2 welded close??

Wierd, Hopefully someone can figure this out.. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
OBD1 cars do not have the middle o2 sensor. just one in the manifold and one in(after) the cat. you should get a muffler ship to drill and weld in a bung in the catback for the rear o2 sensor. otherwise you will get a CEL after the header is installed and your ecu will get faulty readings about the exhaust gasses and adjust the fuel/timing incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Somewhat of a toss up in 95's. My 95 is obdII, which was a surprise to both jwt and myself, so it seems that nissan was in transition sometime in 1994.

UltimaSE

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
95 was the transition year not 96.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
yeah, you are OBDII. you may want to connect the second O2 sensor. your car may not be running the way it should, even with the CEL not coming on

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i think i'll get the second installed after the cat, but the cat is hollowed out so I don't know if it'll help.

NOW, my problem is this header i'm installing is causing major problems. I had to grind a little of the altenator, and clamp the pipe going to the egr. I wonder if the egr will hurt the engine being clamped. Any info??

·
Registered
95 Posts
i bought a cat conv. and it had the bolt opening for an O2 sensor, but my old cat didnt have an O2 sensor. I took a bolt that fit the thread and some weld glue from lowes and screwed that sucker in. i have a 97 altima.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
intrex_ed said:
yeah i think i'll get the second installed after the cat, but the cat is hollowed out so I don't know if it'll help.

NOW, my problem is this header i'm installing is causing major problems. I had to grind a little of the altenator, and clamp the pipe going to the egr. I wonder if the egr will hurt the engine being clamped. Any info??
what header is this? why would you need to grind the alternator or clamp the tubing for the EGR?

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i bought the header off a .net member....

it was on his 97. To make a long story short, it was custom made. I don't know if there is any difference in the years 95 and 97 for that particular problem. Anyways I had a Stillen 4-1 on my 93 and it was a straight bolt on. I figured out the problem. The egr is fine and the pipe going to it is clamped. The problem was where the radiator hose is. The headers weren't fitting tightly. It sounded like an old ford truck especially when the bolt where the egr goes came out. Louder than fock, but that'll be fixed tomorrow.

I think I'm gonna go get another stillen header in a couple months.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
i dont suppose you have a pic of this header? this thing sounds like it was made pretty shittyly. if you had a Stillen before, why dont you have it now?

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just got back in town..

yeah about the quality. pretty bad. i was told that the header was custom made but i'm thinking this is actually a obx or no name header. after a little grinding and eventually double gasketing the manifold it is working. i think i'm gonna go back with the stillen anyways.

and my old car was wrecked. head on collision, so the header was ruined.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts