The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm on a "you get what you pay for" kick. Purchased the eBay knock-off K&N Typhoon kit for $89.99 shipped with expectations it wouldn't fit just right.

After realizing some parts were just not included and the rubber bushings were missing the internal threaded nuts, my hillbilly ingenuity kicked in and I headed to Menard's, but not until after I noticed something Nissan used on their engine cover. Same rubber grommets that are on the engine cover are used on the factory airbox. The "real" K&N kit has rubber bushings and bolts to replace the grommet.

I decided to keep the grommets and install DIY'er OEM style.

Nissan grommet pins that hold the engine cover on:

Menard's parts bin $8 grommet pins: (nylon bushings, a bolt/nut, washers and leftover strut top-hat bushings for the insulator)

Final product. A $280 knock-off K&N Typhoon Intake Kit that I paid a total of $97 for.

Reactions: Throckmorton

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oh... I better go see if the hood shuts w/o any interference... :smack:

EDIT: NO fitment issues at all. :devil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very nice. I just got my 08 VQ 6MT sedan and am itching to get 20-30 more ponies out of her. Did you feel a differance, and is intake louder now I bet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice. I just got my 08 VQ 6MT sedan and am itching to get 20-30 more ponies out of her. Did you feel a differance, and is intake louder now I bet?
You will not get any more HP out of an intake. It will be louder, however.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Any performance increase there is to the driver much more than the car..........

I too do budget and you'd best have used self-locking nuts there or likely the nuts will back off to fall apart. Bolts rubber mounted like that always have blank shanks that end in threads, the threads get used up to bottom on the shank and how they stay in place. Your bolt setup can work but only by using correct length shanks blanked to the application. You won't find those, use self locking like nylock nuts instead, bulletproof then.

Take it from somebody that has been fabricating cheap crap parts forever on cars.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any performance increase there is to the driver much more than the car..........

I too do budget and you'd best have used self-locking nuts there or likely the nuts will back off to fall apart. Bolts rubber mounted like that always have blank shanks that end in threads, the threads get used up to bottom on the shank and how they stay in place. Your bolt setup can work but only by using correct length shanks blanked to the application. You won't find those, use self locking like nylock nuts instead, bulletproof then.

Take it from somebody that has been fabricating cheap crap parts forever on cars.
More then 3 years later:

Have no issues with the way I installed it. I did however remove it over the winter to diagnose some issues which ended up being unrelated. Have not put back on yet, but would not change a thing. Everything was still solid and exactly as I originally did it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts