The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap, I installed my new system this weekend and it basically blew my mind...and I still haven't properly set it up yet!!

First thing we did was some crazy sound deadening...RAAMmat all over the trunk as well as some Great Stuff between the outer skin and inner trunk, and more RAAMmat on the front doors. The trunk and doors now shut with a nice thud, but there's still vibrations in the car so I'll have to do some more deadening when I have more time.

Next we had to lay the wire...mostly standard fare except the 1/0 power wire. And to those who doubt it will fit, it fit very nicely in the factory wiring tray on the right side of the car.

Then we had to build a box for the dual IDmax v.3...~1.3 ft^3 after displacement as per specs. The thing is a beast I can definitely feel the extra weight when I'm driving...but it's worth it:) The maxes are the tightest subs I've ever heard...they blow my old RF Hx2 out of the water in both loudness and more importantly sound quality. I didn't know subs could sound so accurate! We did the box, as well as a new trunk carpet in black and it makes for a nice black/grey color scheme.

Next we wired up all the speakers. I put CDT CL-6x 2-ways in the rear deck...and although I have it faded foward for sq, I faded it back to see how they sound and I must say the sound is extremely nice, especially considering I got them for $35! Then I put the CDT HD-62 component set up front. There are some minor complications with this because the driver is pretty big and it's obviously not a 5x7. So we made a mounting baffle out of 1/2" mdf and it worked awesome...except that that bottom corner of the map pocket won't screw down all the way...but again...it's worth it because this set blows my mind. Also we cut out the sail panel to flush mount the tweets and they look nice, but since the sail panel is not perfectly flat, the tweets aren't quite flat...but I think I'm gonna throw a ring of black foam rubber to fill in the tiny gaps (they're not really noticeable but I'd like it to be as nice as possible).

Then the amps, a JBL BP1200.1 and a JBL P80.4, both well exceeded my expectations. Only gripe is the same most others have...the various knobs are hard to set...it's pretty much all guesswork.

Finally we put in the Alpine cda-7995 and wow, the thing is simply beautiful. I can't comment on how well all the features work yet because I haven't had time to really set it up, but right out of the box it sounds fantastic, and looks even better.

The system already sounds outstanding...I can't wait until I get a chance to go at it with my tuning discs and set everything up properly.

By no means am I saying the stuff I got is the best of everything...just saying that I am downright amazed at how nice everything sounds. Sorry this is so long I'm just really excited and wanted to tell people who might care.

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
Did you shoot the foam into the supports on the underside of the trunk lid?

Demmy

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
Dementia said:
Did you shoot the foam into the supports on the underside of the trunk lid?

Demmy
i did this yesterday, it helps with the little tapping sound, i sprayed it in every little hole on the trunk lid and around all the open parts ....

helped alot...

sounds like you got a good setup there, how are the idmaxx vs. shiva?

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
m3dia_lab said:
i did this yesterday, it helps with the little tapping sound, i sprayed it in every little hole on the trunk lid and around all the open parts ....

helped alot...

sounds like you got a good setup there, how are the idmaxx vs. shiva?
Keep a very close eye on your trunk lid... it warped mine. I didn't notice it until a few days later when I opened my trunk at it was tweaked so bad that it wouldn't shut right. We had to tweak it back into shape. It also rippled the top of the trunk lid, but that later dissapeared.

Demmy

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, we shot some great stuff in the trunk lid...but we were very careful with it...the stuff expands like crazy.

The IDmaxes dominate the shivas...you can't really compare the two though. MSRP on the max is more than 3x the shiva. The max is more on the level of the brahma which I haven't personally heard so I can't compare. Although I got my pair of maxes for $500 so I think at that price/performance ratio they probably kill anything:p

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
really the Max is a much much better sub than the shivayou might get a little mroe low end out of the shiva because of the incredibly low FS, but overall it is way outclassed by the Max. The max is one of my top 3 favorite sounding subs (actually tied for #2 with the ED A series), the Shiva is in the top 10 tho:) and at a price at least 50 % lower than all the ones above it except the ED K series.

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
i used the great stuff for windows, it has a lower expandancey(sp) pressure...

it did no worping...

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
I put the minimally expanding stuff in the trunk lid supports and under the rear deck. I hind sight I should have put a layer of plastic over the foam before I put the deck back on, but oh well. The insulation is now stuck permanantly to the foam instead of the deck, no biggie :) If the eDead stuff from elemental design works well on my bf's car, I'm gonna order a roll for my car.

Demmy

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
that component list sounds awesome. Get some pics up soon

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
great stuff is good and bad. sealed up holes that have sided that are stable enought that they would buckle or bow under pressure. I would be afraid to use it in a car..

off topic
I knew a plumber that put in a 2,000.00 black onix(sp) whirlpool tub and sprayed the great stuff under the tub after he had already bolted the tub down. It physically broke the bottom out of the tub and he had to eat the cost of the tub.. I used it to seal around my cabinets inside and down by the floor and it worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts