The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me tell you-it wasn't easy. Knowing what and how to do it isn't bad, just the lack of impact tools. All I had was a new Husky ratchet/socket set with the ratchet being only about 6" long, no cheater pipe or anything. I almost gave up but the throughbolt finally gave (Thank you Lord!!). The manual doesn't tell you to pull the bracket that is on top of the mount and blocks the bolts but it's done. Anyway, the car is somewhat smoother, not like I had hoped. I have a 93 auto, I replaced the lower mounts w/ Autozone replacements just last year and they appear to be fine.
Above 900 rpm you can feel almost no vibration-Don't get mad, but...it's like sitting in a Honda at idle! However, (may be my IAC) the idle drops a little close to 600 or so I'm guessing (gonna have it checked) a gets a little rough to where the steering wheel vibrates pretty good. The rattle that used to run through the roof (metallic rattle-know what I mean?) is pretty much gone all of the time AND the rattle behind the dash, however I'm not totally thrilled. Of course, I didn't replace the driver top mount and though I see know major splits it could probably use replacing. At $160+, I'm not gonna worry about it right now though.

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
It's all about having the right tools. You shouldn't try to break a bolt like that with a ratchet... thats what breaker bars are for. And a cheater bar... its not like those are hard to come by, just a pipe to slip over the handle. If you don't have a pipe, just hook the boxed end of the combination wrench over the end of your ratchet.

Please tell me you atleast put a floor jack under the engine to support it when you removed the mount? If the mount was really that screwed up you'd need it to lift the engine back to stock positon anyways.

Demmy

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Course I had a jack under it, however it was a spur of the moment thing at my bro-in-law's so no pipe, tools, nothing. That's what makes it so remarkable!:) I did have a hard time getting it back between the brackets it sits between and noticed it's just a little crooked though that's the way everything lined up. I really want to change the other big one but I am NOT spending that much money on this car right now!

And to the other question, the mounts keep the engine positioned properly and try to absorb the vibrations. Without decent mounts, your handling will be affected I suppose, with broken mounts you will definitely have a lower center of gravity at the front with the engine sagging so much!!:)

So Dementia, you never heard any vibrations in your roof, mine happened around 1500rpm, maybe it was Erynn...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts