The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, pretty soon I'll be installing my 8" Bazooka tube on my '00 Altima. I'm just gonna hook it up to my factory stereo. Has anyone done this before. Do the factory head units have the appropriate RCA (or low level) outputs for the Bazooka?

I've read that removing the head unit shouldn't be too hard. You just need to pop off the wood trim around the shifter, unscrew two screws near the shifter, and another two underneath the A/C controls. If this is incorrect or if there's much more to this, can someone clue me in on this?

Where is the best place to run the wire from the Bazooka to the battery?

Anything and everything is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

DK

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
uhmmm some amps have high level inputs. Therefore just connect the rear speakers and hope that the internal amp on your bazooka has a crossover.

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've removed the head unit, but there aren't any RCA jacks anywhere? Is this normal for a factory head unit??? How should I go about attaching the RCA inputs on the Bazooka to the head unit???

Someone help please! Thank you

·
8,112 Posts
Hey, I have a 10" Tube. I guess it would be best to buy a new head unit for RCA wires to connect. I ran the power cable right under my carpet and through my door jam because i couldnt it through the fender. Hope this helps. If not post again. -TP

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TPhelps155 said:
Hey, I have a 10" Tube. I guess it would be best to buy a new head unit for RCA wires to connect. I ran the power cable right under my carpet and through my door jam because i couldnt it through the fender. Hope this helps. If not post again. -TP
I'm low on $$ right now and my bro just sold me his 8" tube for $50. ;) So, I can't really get a head unit right now, but I'd like to install the tube and have that until I can afford a better head unit.

So, how am I supposed to hook up those RCA's to the stock head unit? There is a thread on here that suggests buying a 'line converter'? Does anyone know what they look like? I'm thinking about heading down to Radio Shack or a few other places to ask.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
First off, you never did read my post I guess. Check and see if you have high level inputs on the amp for the bazooka. If so it'll be easy. I could have told you right off the bat that your HU didn't have RCAs.

Otherwise if there are no high level inputs on the amp, you WILL need a line-level converter. It's the only way to hook it up w/o buying a new HU!

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
950 Posts
yup. dont even bother with taking the head unit out. run a line level converter from the rear speakers.

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I just made a visit to Tweeter and they said it'd be simple to just use a T tap from the rear speakers into the hi-level input on the Bazooka. The line converter, according to him and a few threads I've seen on this forum, are said to make some 'noise'. The tap is supposed to be pretty good though. What do you all make of that?

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
950 Posts
neither is as good as a regular rca out from a head unit.

either one will sound fine for that sub.

go with the taps straight into the high level input.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
DOES NO ONE LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY????

damn... I give up!

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next important question, and probably my last, where is the best place to run the power wire to the battery?

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
dee27kay said:
Next important question, and probably my last, where is the best place to run the power wire to the battery?
I shouldn't even bother since no one listens...

through the firewall (with a grommet), although you won't need a big gauge power wire with that amp/sub combo, so you can probably follow through with the stock wires. Then run it under the plastic going down the side of the door sils. They are snap on and come out fairly easily.

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rlaing said:

I shouldn't even bother since no one listens...

through the firewall (with a grommet), although you won't need a big gauge power wire with that amp/sub combo, so you can probably follow through with the stock wires. Then run it under the plastic going down the side of the door sils. They are snap on and come out fairly easily.
Hey rlaing,

I did read your posts, but since I was such a beginning, I had no idea what you (or anyone else) was talking about until I went to Tweeter and learned a thing or two. :D

I managed to get my power wire to the battery not by going through the firewall at all. I ran it up the driver side door and (with the hood open and the driver side door open), I ran it in between the car door and frame, then under the hood. I'll have to take a picture sometime.

My dad took a look at it and thought it was sketchy. He said that after awhile of closing and opening the door, the insulation from the wire will wear out and come into contact with the car frame. Not good. So, for now this is temporary I guess. I'm guessing something as simple as covering up the metal frame will do

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
You shouldn't run it through there, it's exposed to the elements as well as what your Dad said about the hod opening and closing. I know it's only temporary, but when your dealing with anything electrical ALWAY make sure it is safe. If that wire frays, it could turn into a huge fire hazard. Also, did you put in an inline fuse near the battery?

Take the time to drill through the firewall, cause a temporary install often turns into a permanent one. you;ll think all is ok and not bother going back to change it later, and then one day all will fail!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
dee27kay said:

So, for now this is temporary I guess.
Not a good idea. While you are doing the install you should go ahead and take the time to do the power wire right. Its not going to cost any more money, just will take a little longer and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts