The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First you need to get the car off the ground. If you don't have a floor jack and jackstands, the Nissan jack will work - one corner at a time!

Tools needed:
Jack and 1-4 Jackstands
Rental Strut Spring Compressor ($9.50 for 4 hours)
14, 17, 19 mm Sockets, Ratchet, 3" Extension
17, 19mm Wrench
Flat Screwdriver
Lug Wrench

I have to recommend using a torque wrench and factory torque specifications during reassembly(I didn't). There also appeared to be some thread lock on the suspension bolt threads so you may also want to pick up some thread locker and apply a few drops to each fastener during reassembly(I did). Please be careful so you don't hurt yourself and have to sue me! :D

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Front first - remove the brake line clip with a flat screw driver and a bump from your palm (large arrow). Remove the brake line from the bracket. Remove the ABS sensor wire from the two holders if present (small arrows). Remove the 2 large 19mm nuts from the lower strut bolts (17mm heads), then remove the bolts.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The struts will fall right out.
The next step is to swap the springs on the struts. I used a rental spring compressor and followed the instructions included. Alternatively, you could bring the struts to a shop and have the springs changed for a nominal fee.
If you elect to do it yourself, clamp the springs with the compressor. I was only able to grab one coil spacing due to the lack of coils on the OEM spring, and the threads on the compressor bottomed out before the spring pulled away from it's perches, however, there are plenty of threads on the upper strut nut and tension was fully released before the nut was off. Remove the upper nut, upper mount and gray washer thingy. Replace the OEM spring with the Eibach, which only fits one way. Align the notches top and bottom, and reinstallation is the reverse of removal, except that you don't need the compressor. One person applying pressure to the assembly while another starts the nut worked for me. Just snug the nut for now, it can be fully tightened after installation. The upper mount holes are assymetrically spaced to insure proper positioning during reinstallation. There is a thin gasket between the strut mount and body that remained stuck to the body on my car.
It's hard to believe the Eibachs are the stiffer, lower springs in this pic:

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The rear couldn't be any easier!
First support the lower control arm (do not lift it, just support it) as shown. Then remove one bolt (arrow)- 19mm nut and 17mm bolt head same as the front lower strut bolts. Then lower the jack and the lower arm will drop. Pull out the jack, and push the lower control arm down even farther to remove the spring and the upper and lower bushings.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
And slip in the Eibach!...but first, reinstall the upper bushing. Crawl under and you'll see some metal tabs in the upper perch that engage slots in the bushing. Place them over the tabs and then turn them 1/8 turn and they'll hang there. Reinstall the lower bushing lining up the notch. Place the spring into position on the upper bushing, and rotate it to align the lower end of the spring with the recessed notch in the perch. The top is not notched. The rear springs need to be installed so that the label printing on the coil is right-side-up. Then lift the arm up with the floor jack to align the bolt hole. Reinstalling the bolt effortlessly requires that the lower arm be twisted slightly. I inserted a 1/2" breaker bar horizontally through the two large holes near the outer end of the lower control arm to twist it in the right direction.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
...and after 100 or so "spring-settling" miles.

This may be hard to believe, but the ride seems BETTER! More specifically, the smallest bumps which result in 1" or less of suspension compression (expansion cracks mostly around here) and utilize the more tightly spaced coils on the spring, are better absorbed. This is 90% of the bumps on the road! Of course, a big bump will almost launch you out of your seat, but Eibach seems to have considered the fact that this is a four door sedan after all, and designed the springs accordingly. I certainly wasn't left with the "OMG maybe this was a mistake" feeling that I feared getting after the test drive!

·
35 ALTIMATIC
165 Posts
Altimat said:
Last image brightened up a bit:
Lookin' good man, I just hope your still not considering cutting a coil on those, front gap looks perfect. I'm going with the Pro-kit on mine, too many potholes here in LA:( .

NISMO 4 LIFE!

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alxm said:

Lookin' good man, I just hope your still not considering cutting a coil on those, front gap looks perfect. I'm going with the Pro-kit on mine, too many potholes here in LA:( .

NISMO 4 LIFE!
Absolutely not! I was VERY happy not to have to do it. It is so low that I had to lift the body 1/4" to get the floor jack out when it was done! Looks like it settled about another 1/4" after the test drive too!

·
Registered
45 Posts
damn that ride is dope. thanks for the great pics...maybe a few more in brighter sunlight...

i am going with sportlines...no doubt!!!

by the way where are you Eibach decals? ;) j/k

·
35 ALTIMATIC
165 Posts
Altimat said:

Absolutely not! I was VERY happy not to have to do it. It is so low that I had to lift the body 1/4" to get the floor jack out when it was done! Looks like it settled about another 1/4" after the test drive too!
Cool man:) , it looks sweet and those eibachs have a "no sag" guarantee on them I believe, so hopefully they wont settle anymore in the years to come. My slammed ride days are over, just want to clean up that gap a little on the front of my ride. Have you tried a hard launch yet to see if the rear of the car squats as bad when the original springs were on?

NISMO 4 LIFE!

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alxm said:

Cool man:) , it looks sweet and those eibachs have a "no sag" guarantee on them I believe, so hopefully they wont settle anymore in the years to come. My slammed ride days are over, just want to clean up that gap a little on the front of my ride. Have you tried a hard launch yet to see if the rear of the car squats as bad when the original springs were on?

NISMO 4 LIFE!
Zero squat, zero dive! It's great!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts