The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the article in the Modifications thing on the front page about installing srpings/ coilovers. It was good but can i just get some more step by step instructions for it because me and my friends dad is going to install it. Installing it with in a day or two and need some more instructions. :confused: Thanks.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
how detailed do you need? here's the general way:
fronts are easy. After u take the wheel off and remove the brakeline from the strut, undo the bottom 2 bolts holding the struts. Then the top 3 nuts of the strut (from engine bay.)
When u got the spring/strut assembly out, use spring compressors and compress the spring till it freely moves from the strut. Use a deep socket and remove the nut on top fo the strut, then remove everything (remember the order of nut, washer, top hat, etc). Uncompress the stock spring, and compress the new spring. Have 1 person hold the strut vertically and hold the new spring in place. 2nd person puts the rest of the stuff on top. Then just put the assembly back into the car.
The rear's the same, except to access the top of the strut tower, u gotta take your rear seats out. Other than that, it's pretty easy.
Jay

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good. I just wanted to confirm how much of a bitch it is going to be to do the back. Thanks

·
got widebody?®
1,546 Posts
DON'T FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!!

Trim the rubber bumpstops in the front by one inch. It says to do so in the Intrax instructions. This evens out the wheel gap.

Trust me....you will DEFINTELY want to do this or it will look weird. Just use a heavy-duty knife or small saw I guess...I'm not sure what the guys at the shop used on mine.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
altima8 said:
DON'T FORGET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!!

Trim the rubber bumpstops in the front by one inch. It says to do so in the Intrax instructions. This evens out the wheel gap.

Trust me....you will DEFINTELY want to do this or it will look weird. Just use a heavy-duty knife or small saw I guess...I'm not sure what the guys at the shop used on mine.
dunno how important the bumpstops are, but they must be important cuz my eibach instructions also say to trim them. however, i think the majority of the altimas on this site didn't trim them. Your choice.
Jay

·
got widebody?®
1,546 Posts
ThurzNite said:

dunno how important the bumpstops are, but they must be important cuz my eibach instructions also say to trim them. however, i think the majority of the altimas on this site didn't trim them. Your choice.
Jay
Ok...over-reaction on my part....lol......

But seriously....the trimming of the bumpstops is only to even out the front and rear wheel gaps. There is no other way I know of to do this....but I am not a suspension expert. :D

·
got widebody?®
1,546 Posts
Peterson said:
OK, little lesson.

Bumpstops, the soft spongy things that go onto the strut piston, are there to keep the car from bottoming too hard. By trimming them you allow a bit more travel.

Cutting the bumpstops, or even removing them, will not change the height of the car in the least. The springs determine the height of the car....
Why would you only want to trim the front then? And the springs (front and rear) from Intrax are an equal drop but it's common knowledge that the Altima has a bigger gap in the front than in the back.

I would like to see a picture of a bumpstop if someone has one, preferably one that shows where it is and what it does...this seems a bit weird.

·
11,384 Posts
Your front wheels turn, your rear wheels don't. The front wheels have larger fender openings to accomplish this. So the gap will be slighlty larger.

The "common knowledge" of the front and rear having different gaps can easily be fixed by cutting the springs, or getting coilovers.

The bumpstops have NOTHING to do with the height of the car. If they did, that would mean your car is resting on the bumpstops...meaning your suspension is fully compressed. The bumpstops only come in to play when the car fully compressed, like when you hit a large bump...hence, bump stop....

The height difference is only due to the springs....not the bumpstops. I have even gaps front and rear...cuz I have coilovers that can be adjusted.....

·
11,384 Posts
Here is a pic of the top of a strut with GC's....the bumpstop is a small round thing made of a spongy material that has a hole in it, and it slides down the piston shaft and rests at the bottom. When the spring is fully compressed, the top hat will come down, and before the strut bottoms out, the bumpstop will come into play, and should stop the strut from fully compressing....

It's nice and soft so that it can compress somewhat gently, rather than being a solid piece that would jar the whole car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was just thinking...I don't have bumpstops on my car. At least I don't remember seeing them when I installed my struts last weekend. Weird.
I haven't bottomed out yet, so that's good.
Jay

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the information. I'm gonna install it this weekend, wish me luck. I just know that the back is going to a hard thing to do having to take out the seats. Now i know about the bumpstops. Thanks all.

·
got widebody?®
1,546 Posts
So are the springs designed by Intrax a diferent height in the front from the rear? I thought the drop was the same on these springs front and rear, but my gap was evened out when they were installed so.... I ASSUMED the bumpstops were the reason. Sorry for being pig-headed about it, it's just that it seemed to make sense.... :confused:

I have never seen an Altima on Intrax WITHOUT the bumpstops chopped though....so I guess it was a poor assumption.
Thanks for setting me straight. :D

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Peterson said:
We're all hear to learn...no biggie.

I don't know the numbers on the Intrax springs, but most springs, at least for our cars, give you a bit more gap in the front. When I had Sprints, I cut a coil off the front to make them even.
That's is exactly why i am on here. For you guys to teach me what you guys know and help when i have questions. The numbers? Don't know what that means. Drop?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Eibachs give 1.2 front and 1.0 rear. I had those in for 6 months now. I measured them (stock 152k struts) and had 26" front and 26.5" rear (from floor to top of fender, like how the FSM measures it). Stock is supposed to be 27.2" front, 26.7" rear. SE stock is 27.17 front 26.69 rear.
After putting in KYB struts recently, the car looks like it lowerd even more...so much that Me and Ry think the front's obviously lower than the rear. I haven't measured it yet cuz I don't have a yardstick.
Jay

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts