The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:soapbox: :banghead: :banghead: :soapbox:

Step 15 - install the provided 1/4 npt vent fitting into K&N Intake Tube as shown MY ASS

That plasic piece of junk vent fitting just BROKE OFF closer to the end of being screwed in (installed) into the tube! I did it correctly, perfectly alligined threads, piece going in as straight as it could only be, correct tool (19mm if i'm not mistaken wrench) and out of nowhere i got a piece in my hand and almost all of it's threads inside the tube. ****!!!!!!!! Plastic just snapped in 2!

I'm sure i did it all right, faaaaaar not the first time working with my hands and tools which leaves me with

EITHER:
Threads on the piece are a bit too long and when it reaches stopping point inside tube's threds(if there is one) it doesnt have any more room to go. At the same time there's still 3/16'' left to screw so vent fitting is all the way into the tube. using a wrench on a plastic piece force is not noticable so i applied too much of it and it snaped. If there is a stopping point inside the tube (hard to say for sure cuz it's bended + now i have plastic inside of it) then either a vent fitting should be a bit shorter OR there should be a washer provided.

OR:
tube's and fitting threads are not perfectly alligned, creating the force enuff to snap the fitting while it's being screwed in.

Either way i'm now left with my entire stock air system out of my car, can't finish installing K&N, K&N' is ofcourse closed, so noone to call and order a new vent piece from. :banghead:

ANyone know if i'll be lucky to find same plastic piece in Home Depot?

·
Registered
104 Posts
:soapbox: :banghead: :banghead: :soapbox:

Step 15 - install the provided 1/4 npt vent fitting into K&N Intake Tube as shown MY ASS

That plasic peice of junk vent fitting just BROKE OFF closer to the end of being screwed in (installed) into the tube! I did it correctly, perfectly alligined threads, piece going in as straight as it could only be, correct tool (19mm if i'm not mistaken wrench) and out of nowhere i got a piece in my hand and almost all of it's threads inside the tube. ****!!!!!!!! Plastic just snapped in 2!

I'm sure i did it all right, faaaaaar not the first time working with my hands and tools which leaves me with

EITHER:
Threads on the piece are a bit too long and when it reaches stopping point inside tube's threds(if there is one) it doesnt have any more room to go. At the same time there's still 3/16'' left to screw so vent fitting is all the way into the tube. using a wrench on a plastic piece force is not noticable so i applied too much of it and it snaped. If there is a stopping point inside the tube (hard to say for sure cuz it's bended + now i have plastic inside of it) then either a vent fitting should be a bit shorter OR there should be a washer provided.

OR:
tube's and fitting threads are not perfectly alligned, creating the force enuff to snap the fitting while it's being screwed in.

Either way i'm now left with my entire stock air system out of my car, can't finish installing K&N, K&N' is ofcourse closed, so noone to call and order a new vent piece from. :banghead:

ANyone know if i'll be lucky to find same plastic piece in Home Depot?
Your scaring me, mines coming monday i hope my install goes well. You should ask the members with the intake already installed to see if they had any problems with the install.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your scaring me, mines coming monday i hope my install goes well. You should ask the members with the intake already installed to see if they had any problems with the install.
From what i know there's only 2 members in here that installed it already. None of them complained so i'm sure it didn't happen to them. Then again if i'm not mistaken both of them were doing it when dark out so maybe they just did notice that vent fitting wasn't in all the way. :)

Besides that instructions are pretty clear and easy exept for which hardware provided to use. Most of provided screws/washers/bolts fit EVERYWHERE lol so i wasn't sure which on to use until i read the whole instructon and layed the process of installing out in my head. Thinking ahead where would be best to use which peice of hardware.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i'll be installing my intake in a bit. hopefully nothing goes wrong ill update you guys.

·
bleeds Black & Gold
954 Posts
show some pics.....i installed mine in daylight, and everything fit perfect for me. it was a bit hard to screw in that piece, but i got it in almost all the way.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After lots of cursing, extra work and time i finally installed it.

I went to Home Depot and used BRASS PIPE NIPPLE and PIPE BUSHING in plumbing department to somewhat replace that plastic piece. Does the job :shift:

I'll call K&N on monday to see if they can ship that piece to me. For now seems like plumbing toys work :)

I got a few pics of broken plastic piece and brass nipple and bushing, will post them in a little bit.

·
2008 2.5SL / 2006 SE-R
256 Posts
uhh yeah...

From what i know there's only 2 members in here that installed it already. None of them complained so i'm sure it didn't happen to them. Then again if i'm not mistaken both of them were doing it when dark out so maybe they just did notice that vent fitting wasn't in all the way. :)

Besides that instructions are pretty clear and easy exept for which hardware provided to use. Most of provided screws/washers/bolts fit EVERYWHERE lol so i wasn't sure which on to use until i read the whole instructon and layed the process of installing out in my head. Thinking ahead where would be best to use which peice of hardware.
Haha yeah I did mine in the dark... but you are right about that piece, I only got mine about 3/4 in and it looked like it was gonna snap if I tried any harder... I thought it was cuz I did it in the dark.. Lol but yeah for those who are about to install it, don't go 100% in. Go about 50% to 70%. Lol.. Still looks great cuz the engine cover will cover it.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics

Here a pic of broken plastic piece:

That's 2 of plumbing pieces i used instead of k&n's
On these pics they are not screwed in all the way strictly for a purpose of taking a picture

And here's what it looks like hooked up:

It should last until K&N send me the original plastic fitting if not for a lot longer than that.
Pics were taken with my phone + bad lightning so quality leaves room to be improved :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I helped one of the members here (t0e) install his K&N today. The plastic piece did not fit that great like what you described but we got it more then half way in without breaking it. I have to say it was a very poor design and it should have been welded in like other intake manufacturers. On another note, the heat shield was also loose even with the screws in place holding it.

·
2008 2.5SL / 2006 SE-R
256 Posts
I don't know about the heat shield being loose... but yeah that metal piece you got, vital, looks great! I think I might just go look for a metal one cuz I banged up the plastic pice pretty bad...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That plastic piece is very special. That's why K&N costs so much more than Fujita or Injen, who don't use a breakable screw in plastic piece.:)

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know about the heat shield being loose... but yeah that metal piece you got, vital, looks great! I think I might just go look for a metal one cuz I banged up the plastic pice pretty bad...
It's actualy 2 different pieces (bushing and nipple) screwed in together. When going to HomeDepot i was thinking of something else but that's all they had that would fit tube's thread and hose' diameter.

If u'll go for a metal piece (or2) get one that's longer where it meets the hose as with this set-up i'm not 100% positive hose woun't just slip up after a while.
I'll try plumbing supply when i have time, i'm sure they will have lots more to offer then home depot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well I just found out that my car is acting a bit weird after installing the intake. everytime I'm on cvt and going into 6th gear the car seems like it doesn't want to go the rpm stays around 2k anyone know what's wrong ?

·
bleeds Black & Gold
954 Posts
well I just found out that my car is acting a bit weird after installing the intake. everytime I'm on cvt and going into 6th gear the car seems like it doesn't want to go the rpm stays around 2k anyone know what's wrong ?
make sure their are no air leaks and your MAF is installed properly. also did you disconnect your battery when installing it? if not your computer needs to be reset.....disconnect the negative battery terminal for at least 5 mins and that should reset the computer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i didn't disconnect the battery while installing it but i did after but still its giving me the same response.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts