The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ahhh the power of Cheese
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried running a cold Air an a warm air intake into the same single pipe? Would runnin the 2 types of air effect the engine in anyway? Just curious about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
My guess is any real advantage would be due to the increase surface area over which air can pass into the intake stream because of having two air filters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
I forgot which member here at altimas.net has a INJEN CAI and converted it to a WAI. But the odd thing was the pipe after the MAF was short, like he cut the pipe. But I could be wrong. I wonder where he got the extra pipe? I hope He/She is reading this and post's up what he did.
 

·
Altimas.net
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
iceman55508 said:
I forgot which member here at altimas.net has a INJEN CAI and converted it to a WAI. But the odd thing was the pipe after the MAF was short, like he cut the pipe. But I could be wrong. I wonder where he got the extra pipe? I hope He/She is reading this and post's up what he did.
TweekersAltima went from CAI to WAI just to see the difference, on the Injen intake you can do this by removing one of the pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Well the one im taking about is not tweekers. Its another member. I saw his registry and the pipe after the MAF was a totally different pipe. Hopefully he reads this and you'll see his registry. I remember that he painted the engine cover red.
 

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
Joined
·
791 Posts
The way I figure it I don't think that there would be any benefit. A k&N filter can pass about 441 Cu/feet of air per minute according to the web site. I tried but could not find flow rates for other filters. I calculate that the V6 can move a max of 251 Cu/feet or air per minute. The extra surface would not really be that much of a factor, because one filter would flow more then enough air to keep the engine happy. The only catch might be that the actual intake pipe may cut down on the air entering the manifold.
 

·
Official Troll
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
SharkDogZ said:
Has anyone ever tried running a cold Air an a warm air intake into the same single pipe? Would runnin the 2 types of air effect the engine in anyway? Just curious about it.
Don't become the laughing stock of Altimas.net like member OTB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
BrandonS said:
The way I figure it I don't think that there would be any benefit. A k&N filter can pass about 441 Cu/feet of air per minute according to the web site. I tried but could not find flow rates for other filters. I calculate that the V6 can move a max of 251 Cu/feet or air per minute. The extra surface would not really be that much of a factor, because one filter would flow more then enough air to keep the engine happy. The only catch might be that the actual intake pipe may cut down on the air entering the manifold.
I agree. The engine can only breath so much air given it's throttle body size, intake runners, etc. Freeing up the air intake with an aftermarket unit certainly helps, but only to an extent. Once the air filter and intake tubing can move more air than the car is capable of taking in (without FI), it's useless to keep going. Other things then need to be changed to keep up. Kinda like the 5" ricer "coffee can" exhaust. They're not moving any more air.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top