The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a lot of talk about the removal of the stock cai leading to the filter box. I removed this piece after reading the segment on the free wai mod. In addition i removed the resonator instead of taping over the hole. By removing this resonator the smaller box in front of the filter box now has 2 holes for intake (stock cai and resonator connection). This is further improving the air flow to the intake. In addition the empty space where the resonator was is now opened up and it is a tunnel straight to down to the underbody in front of the wheel well. i think this may be pulling cold air from beneath the car and may offer a few more hoeses. I still only have a stock filter but plan to get a k&n filter soon. But someone else could dyno the 2002 3.5 (do not have acces to dyno equipment) with these mods and see if there is any increased H.P. I anyone can try this and let me know if it is better than just removing the stock cai.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Great idea. Obviously Nissan engineered the CAI with performance in mind, but the resonator if for cutting intake noise.

We're adding HP, but the trade off is noise. I'm sure that this mod is significantly quieter than a complete replacement of the air box. Possibly lower HP gains, but my car with 2500 miles should be smooth and quiet.

WOT with a K&N WAI is just too much on the ears.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking at those numbers...

Not any significant torque gain there. I think I will wait until there is some proven theory, I mean, the engineers at Nissan wouldn' t spend the dollars on research on this engine just to squash out the power for a part that can be that easily altered. If there is significant gain then Nissan would have done it. When you are hauling ass down the freeway you are getting more air forced into the intake than when you are on a Dyno anyway. Was this done with a 70MPH headwind? The most significant gains will come when we can flash the computer ROM in this sucker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DOn't forget Nissan has a TON of requirements to meet. It could be that the stock intake adds protection against water intake (preventing hydro-locking). It may be that for minimal risk, you can add significant HP by reworking the stock intake.
Just avoid driving in flood conditions! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
yeah but...

k-hill said:
DOn't forget Nissan has a TON of requirements to meet. It could be that the stock intake adds protection against water intake (preventing hydro-locking). It may be that for minimal risk, you can add significant HP by reworking the stock intake.
Just avoid driving in flood conditions! :D
According to the numbers on the Dyno that was posted in another thread there was little torque gain, actually the first run showed a torque loss. I know that opening up the air will help I am just saying that when you are going down the road there is more air going through there than you would imagine. Of course I could be wrong. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.