The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what would make my Intelligent smart key to stop working ? I put a new battery in it but none of the buttons will work ,however if I have the key fob on my person I can manually unlock the doors by pressing the center button on the door handle and also manually open the trunk and sitting inside of car the engine will start as normal. My question is how do I get the fob buttons to work again, or is the key fob shot and do I need to get a new one? The one that I have is only 9 months old. Is there a easy fix for this or is there something that might be shut off that I don't know about? My second key fob that came with the car works fine, Anyone got any answers that I could try to get my intelligent smart key to start working like it is suppose to?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Does anyone know what would make my Intelligent smart key to stop working ? I put a new battery in it but none of the buttons will work ,however if I have the key fob on my person I can manually unlock the doors by pressing the center button on the door handle and also manually open the trunk and sitting inside of car the engine will start as normal. My question is how do I get the fob buttons to work again, or is the key fob shot and do I need to get a new one? The one that I have is only 9 months old. Is there a easy fix for this or is there something that might be shut off that I don't know about? My second key fob that came with the car works fine, Anyone got any answers that I could try to get my intelligent smart key to start working like it is suppose to?

I have an answer, your local Nissan dealer. This is why you have a warranty. Use it. Let them fix your problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Key problem resolved.

After searching the internet for my Intelligent key problem that had stopped working here is the answer that worked.
Remove key from the back of key fob, press start button twice inside of car but be sure not to start the vehicle. Next get out of car and close the door, insert metal key into drivers side key slot on door handle and turn key to lock and unlock position once. Go back into car and shut off ignition by pressing start button once, ignition is now off. Problem fixed, this worked for me which saved me time and effort running back to the dealer. Note this may have to be done again when changing a dead key fob battery, not to mention it might just save someone about a $100 .00 or more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After searching the internet for my Intelligent key problem that had stopped working here is the answer that worked.
Remove key from the back of key fob, press start button twice inside of car but be sure not to start the vehicle. Next get out of car and close the door, insert metal key into drivers side key slot on door handle and turn key to lock and unlock position once. Go back into car and shut off ignition by pressing start button once, ignition is now off. Problem fixed, this worked for me which saved me time and effort running back to the dealer. Note this may have to be done again when changing a dead key fob battery, not to mention it might just save someone about a $100 .00 or more.
Could you or someone who has had success with this elaborate a bit?

I have two intelligent keys with the 2013 Altima S I just purchased and the buttons don't work on either one. The dealer had replaced the batteries and I replaced them once again. Clearly, the transponder is working. The request buttons on the door handles and trunk lid work when the key is in proximity.

I tried the above procedure.

Removed metal key

Got in car (with keyfob also inside) and pressed start button twice without putting my foot on the brake. (you can't put your foot on the brake or the car will start no matter how briefly and quickly you press it)

At this point I heard a beeping sound

I got out of the car (left keyfob inside), inserted metal key and turned it to the left (lock) position once, then to right (unlock position) once. (I left key in the door, but I also tried it by removing key from door before getting back in)

Got back in the car and pressed the start button once (without putting foot on brake) and dash lights went off.

I got back out of car and tried the intelligent key buttons and none of them worked - same as before. I repeated the procedure with both intelligent keys with the same result. I find it highly unlikely that both intelligent keys are bad, since they both exhibit the exact same symptoms. Transponder works, but buttons don't.

There must be some critical step I'm doing wrong here. Can someone please review the steps I did and comment if they did anything slightly differently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remote control problem REALLY resolved

As mentioned in the previous message, this procedure did NOT work for me with the problem described.

The solution turns out to be very simple. Although there *may* be some other secret way to get the car to reprogram the remote control functionality, the brute force method that works is to simply do a cold reset of the ECU. The easy way to do this is to simply disconnect a battery terminal - wait several minutes - and then reconnect it again. Before reconnecting the battery again, make sure the keyfob is inside the car. The ECU apparently only attempts to reprogram the remote functions on a cold boot and if the key fob is not within range, it won't work.

Both of my remotes were dead and I did this on each one - one at a time. You might be able to do more than one at once, but I guessed it might be necessary to do one at a time.

Please note this only works to solve the problem of the keyfob remote buttons not working. I believe this is most likely to happen after changing the battery in the keyfob. If your door request buttons are not working, or you are getting other errors or problems when attempting to start the car, this will probably not help.

·
2017 Altima SL 3.5L
41 Posts
I'm not looking forward to doing a battery change-out on my fob if this is the nightmare that I can expect!

But I did a quick Google search -- "altima key fob reset" -- and got lots of hits

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changing out the battery is pretty simple. It doesn't always de-program with a battery change. But if it does, the technique of putting the fob in the car, hitting start twice, then locking/unlocking the driver door with the key, and finally hitting start again worked great for me. Super easy. I was amazed.

Good luck.

·
2017 Altima SL 3.5L
41 Posts
Changing out the battery is pretty simple. It doesn't always de-program with a battery change. But if it does, the technique of putting the fob in the car, hitting start twice, then locking/unlocking the driver door with the key, and finally hitting start again worked great for me. Super easy. I was amazed.

Good luck.
I'm amazed that the reset procedure might even be necessary.

But the technology on this car ain't much - esp. the "radar based" alerts

·
Registered
2 Posts
As mentioned in the previous message, this procedure did NOT work for me with the problem described.

The solution turns out to be very simple. Although there *may* be some other secret way to get the car to reprogram the remote control functionality, the brute force method that works is to simply do a cold reset of the ECU. The easy way to do this is to simply disconnect a battery terminal - wait several minutes - and then reconnect it again. Before reconnecting the battery again, make sure the keyfob is inside the car. The ECU apparently only attempts to reprogram the remote functions on a cold boot and if the key fob is not within range, it won't work.

Both of my remotes were dead and I did this on each one - one at a time. You might be able to do more than one at once, but I guessed it might be necessary to do one at a time.

Please note this only works to solve the problem of the keyfob remote buttons not working. I believe this is most likely to happen after changing the battery in the keyfob. If your door request buttons are not working, or you are getting other errors or problems when attempting to start the car, this will probably not help.
Thank you! This worked perfectly aaaand I was able to do both of them at the same time. I left the battery disconnected for 3-5 minutes; 2010 Nissan Cube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue with both my keys. Once I changed the batteries on both fobs, the buttons on the fobs no longer worked. The car started fine, and I was able to open the doors and trunk with car buttons. What worked for me was putting both keys inside the car, closing the door and disconnecting both battery terminals. I kept them disconnected for 10 minutes. Once I connected them, both fobs work great. I love this website. Thanks everybody. Saved myself much $$$.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry to revive the old post... My trunk button isn't working nor is the panic button. Remote start, lock, unlock buttons work fine. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are two separate Nissan KeyFob issues that I have encountered.

Issue #1 : After replacing the keyfob battery you still get invalid key ID or no Key detected messages. Door request buttons also no longer work. Keyfob buttons to remotely open doors, etc typically still work. You can start the car by pressing the start button with the keyfob itself. (or by inserting it into the keyfob emergency start receptacle on some models)
Solution: Remove the backup door key from the keyfob. Enter the car and leave the keyfob inside. Press the start button twice (to cycle from OFF to ACC to ON). DO NOT Press the brake! Now exit the car leaving the Keyfob inside, but take the backup door key with you. Close the door and insert the backup door key into the door lock. Turn to the left to lock the drivers door. You'll hear the locking mechanism. Now turn the key to the right to unlock the door. Again, you'll hear the unlocking mechanism. You can now remove the door key and reenter the car. Push the start button one more time (don't touch the brake) to turn it to the OFF mode. The Invalid key ID messages should now be gone and everything functioning normally.

Issue #2 : This problem is basically the opposite of the above. Everything works normally except that none of the push button functions of the keyfob will work. Remote door lock, panic button, remote trunk release and remote start (if so equipped) do not function.
Solution: The ECU (main computer) must be rebooted with the keyfob inside the car. During a cold boot of the ECU the push button functions of the keyfob are re-programmed if it is inside the car. The easiest way to accomplish the cold reboot is to disconnect the main battery under the hood for a minute or two and then reconnect it. Be aware that disconnecting the main battery will erase the learned settings from the ECU, so the car may idle a little differently for the first few miles of driving. It will quickly return to normal.

If the battery is replaced in the keyfob before you start having intermittent problems, you typically won't have to do either procedure described above. However, if the voltage gets very low on the battery in your keyfob, the internal memory can become corrupted and replacing the battery alone may not bring it back to correct operation.

Finally: It has been reported that both keyfobs can be reprogrammed at once for either issue by leaving them both inside the car while performing either procedure described above. I've never had to do more than one keyfob at a time so I can't verify that, but it sounds like it should work.

Footnote: The correct replacement button cell battery is a CR2032, however a CR2025 will work in a pinch. The only difference is that the CR2025 is slightly thinner (2.5 vs. 3.2 mm thick) and has a slightly lower capacity so it won't last quite as long.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The solution turns out to be very simple. Although there may be some other secret way to get the car to reprogram the remote control functionality, the brute force method that works is to simply do a cold reset of the ECU. The easy way to do this is to simply disconnect a battery terminal - wait several minutes - and then reconnect it again. Before reconnecting the battery again, make sure the keyfob is inside the car. The ECU apparently only attempts to reprogram the remote functions on a cold boot and if the key fob is not within range, it won't work.

made an account to thumbs up and say this worked for me.
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Key problem resolved.

Had the same problem with my Nissan 2014 Altima. Key fob was recognized but buttons would not work. Tried your suggestion. Now everything works even the command start. Many thanks......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Key problem resolved.

This worked for me as well on a 2008 Nissan Altima.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The solution turns out to be very simple. Although there may be some other secret way to get the car to reprogram the remote control functionality, the brute force method that works is to simply do a cold reset of the ECU. The easy way to do this is to simply disconnect a battery terminal - wait several minutes - and then reconnect it again. Before reconnecting the battery again, make sure the keyfob is inside the car. The ECU apparently only attempts to reprogram the remote functions on a cold boot and if the key fob is not within range, it won't work.

Thank you for this thread! I have a 2013 Nissan Altima and my 2nd fob stopped working suddenly. After scouring the internet, we followed your instructions above and i this worked for both fobs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts