The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 with 146,000 miles. This is my hobby car so I am trying to learn how to fix stuff. I only paid 200 dollars for it and fixed a bunch of things. I hope I can fix this...

Originally I had a Crankshaft position sensor code (P0335). I went to the Nissan dealer and bought the OEM parts for both the crankshaft sensor and camshaft since I heard it's best to replace both. I replaced both. Now I keep getting a Camshaft sensor code (P0340). Car would intermittently not start, delayed start, bad acceleration etc... sometimes I had to clear the code for the car to start.

The car originally had the plastic sensors, and the new ones are the cylinder metal types.

I put back the old plastic camshaft sensor back into the car and so far it seems to be ok but will give it a week to see...

Any idea what else it could be? Car runs fine when it is running, no crazy noises... etc...

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,730 Posts
That is unusual, as the metal sensors have historically been more successful in this engine. Could just be a bad sensor...I'd go back to the dealer and explain the situation...you might get a replacement sensor on the basis that the old sensor is still working, and the new one does not. IIRC, the cam and crank sensors on this particular car are the same part number...if so, you could swap the troublesome crank sensor into the cam position and see if the error moves...or you could just be happy that all is running well and move onto the next fix :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is unusual, as the metal sensors have historically been more successful in this engine. Could just be a bad sensor...I'd go back to the dealer and explain the situation...you might get a replacement sensor on the basis that the old sensor is still working, and the new one does not. IIRC, the cam and crank sensors on this particular car are the same part number...if so, you could swap the troublesome crank sensor into the cam position and see if the error moves...or you could just be happy that all is running well and move onto the next fix :)
Thanks. I will go to the dealer and see later this week depending on how this old sensor works out.

I really do not want to try to remove the crankshaft sensor again lol. It was such a pain. It's definitely easier to work on the new sensor but getting back there sucks! lol.

And yes, I want to go on to fixing other things but I also want to feel like this car is getting better and have some periods of no problems lol...

·
6,730 Posts
Not saying to redo the crank again, just saying to swap the bad sensor into the cam position (assuming you have a year that they were the same part). Cam's are easy, and if it starts throwing cam codes, then you have a case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not saying to redo the crank again, just saying to swap the bad sensor into the cam position (assuming you have a year that they were the same part). Cam's are easy, and if it starts throwing cam codes, then you have a case.
Oh yeah. I will swap the "new" part in later. I want to see if the original one that was in the car throws the code. So far it seems like it's ok. But I will drive it around a bit more today.

I've also heard of grounding issues and timing chain stretching. But is my assumption to not fear that yet because I never had the code until the new part was put in? I understand the crankshaft and camshaft sensor work together but the codes should be clear cut on what's going on?

If it were a grounding issue, I would expect it to be more consistent with not turning on at all all the time.

If the timing chain is stretched, I would have expected that Camshaft code to happen first before having a crankshaft code?

·
6,730 Posts
Everything you say above is correct to my knowledge. Very curious to see the result of the swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything you say above is correct to my knowledge. Very curious to see the result of the swap.
Thanks! I drove it a bit more today. The car drives well for having 146,000 miles IMO. My friend never gave this car a chance so I am hoping I can get some good life out of it. For some reason I have pride driving it compared to my other car lol. I guess since I've fixed some many things and learned so much. I hope I can cross 200,000 with it!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
How many change ten different sensors yet never suspect the wiring or connector? And this.........

'If it were a grounding issue, I would expect it to be more consistent with not turning on at all all the time.'

.....is simply not true. You can have partial ground to work/not work all day long. Been there a hundred times.

Those sensors are often shielded wiring and even outside interference can mess those low volt impulses up. Say running the sensor wiring right beside a main power cable. Crossover noise then messes the sensor output pulses up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm dealing with a similar issue, recently replaced both the cam and crank sensor with the original OE Nissan part 23731-6N21A. Went to start up and it would crank but not start, took a lot of time messing around with it before deciding to pull another old one from a pull a part yard, same black plastic one as before, plugged it in and no problem. I'm going to swap the new crank for the new cam sensor again, but if it doesn't work I saw on a website part# DE SS10818 a Delphi unit is compatible with our motor and looks like the OE one that came out. I feel like our cars are super particular in some instances with what cam sensor we use...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Talking hundredths of a volt there, the connector quality becomes a huge issue, the pins lightly touching instead of firmly can do it.

I feel most of that 'you MUST use Nissan only sensors' thing is actually wiring or connector issues, I use way too many aftermarket sensors and zero issues doing it. They are simple Hall effect devices and not hard to duplicate at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: as for 5/29/2020 I have not gotten a camshaft code. Car runs perfect. Nissan would not return the sensor and gave me a new one but I am afraid to install it lol.... It's an expensive spare....

·
6,730 Posts
Flog it on ebay if you want...they are a common replacement item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts