The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the intermittent wiper mode for the first time today. I noticed that if I have the wipers cycling every 10 seconds when driving they repeat fine. If I’m sitting at a light they cycle every 25 seconds without changing the setting. As soon as I start driving again they go back to the 10 second cycle. The wipers seem to sense the car moving. Anyone else experience the same situation?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven't spent enough time in the car during a rain yet to notice. What you've described could be a nice feature, or a flaw. In my old car while driving the blinkers click at one rate, but speed up if I stop at a corner. This has to do with how much electricity is being sent to them. Driving consumes more energy, thus less for the blinkers.

But it's very hard to imagine that a 2002 car would have the same problem. They should be engineered well enough to not have energy conflicts change the car's (features) performance.

So lets just pretend it's a nice "feature", and pat you on your back for being the first one to notice it! Way to go!

OpalBlue

·
Registered
4 Posts
The intermittent wiper mode is speed sensitive, similar to the volume control on the Bose radio. As you speed up, so do the wipers!

Definitely a great feature!

·
Barkless Dog
801 Posts
I haven't noticed it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually I noticed it on my car as well, I was going to time it one of these days but I never did. I thought it was just me :cool:

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
95 Posts
i think it's speed sensitive. seems like most new cars do that. 2001 accord does the same thing i noticed.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,758 Posts
Rain Ride

Out yesterday in the rain, did not notice any difference. Manual, from what I saw, said nothing of this in the wiper section. If it did have such a cool function, don't ya think they might have mentioned it in the manual?

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
95 Posts
hm...
that's weird, because i just tried it out yesterday, and it was definitely speed sensitive.

i don't think it has a exact setting. it depends on how fast you're driving as well. i had the wipers set at the 2nd til last intermittent setting (second slowest), and while driving, it ran between 10sec-15sec but when i was stopped, the interval was as slow as 18sec-25sec.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep Seems to be Speed Sensative

Notice it a few times and asked my service tech at the Nissan dealer where I drought my car. He said while he couldn't confirm it he had several other owners tell him the same thing. Wonder if it's based on the model??:rolleyes:

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,758 Posts
Re: Yep Seems to be Speed Sensative

bmvalk said:
Notice it a few times and asked my service tech at the Nissan dealer where I drought my car. He said while he couldn't confirm it he had several other owners tell him the same thing. Wonder if it's based on the model??:rolleyes:
mine is loaded and does not do that!

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
If no such option truly exists then it is certainly suggested! I would prefer speed sensitive wipers than radio volume.

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
Didn't notice either...

I was driving in the rain and did not notice this either.

On another note, the rain we had yesterday was pesky drizzle. I hate this type of weather. If you drive behind a SUV or VAN you get rained on, if its a car you get lightly splattered - depending on the speed and if you're at a traffic light you figure you don't need to have the darned wipers on because all you can hear is the rubber scraping your glass.

I have to say one thing about this - being able to adjust the interval of the intermittent wipers is nice, but when the weather gets like this I keep adjusting it every 5 minutes because I kept going from one extreme to another - PITA. In this case I missed my Sentra with its wiper settings - SLOW, FAST, or FASTER. Toys can sometimes make your life more of a pain.

Done venting...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Didn't notice either...

Polished2002 said:
I keep adjusting it every 5 minutes because I kept going from one extreme to another - PITA. In this case I missed my Sentra with its wiper settings - SLOW, FAST, or FASTER. Toys can sometimes make your life more of a pain.
Done venting...
Hahaha! I have thought the same thing on many ocasions. After twiddling with the speed control, I usually give up and just leave them on high!

G

·
I think if you get the leather interior you get the speed sensitive wipers. I find that it slows down to about half the speed after you stop. As soon as you start to move above about 5mph, the origional speed you have chosen (I am talking using the variable control not the normal low speed) comes back. As far as rubbing on the windshield, I always use rain-x on my windows and most of the time I never have to use the wipers over 40mph

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checked in the service manual and found this quote:

INTERMITTENT OPERATION
Wiper intermittent operation delay interval is determined from a combination of 3 switches (intermittent operation
dial position 1, intermittent operation dial position 2, and intermittent operation dial position 3) and vehicle speed signal.

No mention of differences in models however.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, I checked it out yesterday. I had my intermittent wiper switch set on the second notch at a stop light. There was a 5 second delay between wiping.

When the light turned green, I started driving about 30 mph and the delay was about 3 seconds. IT DID GET FASTER WHEN DRIVING.

You are one observant person, Jimcze!

·
Registered
65 Posts
2002Altima: so it DOES work? I gotta try it out later....happens to be raining now anyways. ;-) What's the "vehicle speed signal"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts