The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97.5 and i have a internal coil i was wondering if you can buy a different distributor to make it external or if modifying the old one is all you can do? i want to get msd for my car but i want to know what im up against

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
you modify your exsisting distributor cap...I suggest you buy another brand new distributor cap and rotor when doing this...

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Zerogroundclearance said:
I have a 97.5 and i have a internal coil i was wondering if you can buy a different distributor to make it external or if modifying the old one is all you can do? i want to get msd for my car but i want to know what im up against

Its easy, I have done it on Hondas all the time. You just need to interrupt the two wires that go to the internal coil and send them to the MSD then from the MSD back to the internal coil. I usually drill a notch in the cap to run the wires through and repeat the notch every time I bought a new cap.

If you want to ditch the internal coil and use an external coil, its more of a challenge, but it is easiest with a MSD power tower and single coil wire. Just determine where the cap connects the output of the coil to the center pin. Drill the power tower to contact that point and wire the MSD like normal. It is usually a good idea to remove the internal coil while you are at it.

Lastly, I think I remember that the Nissan ECU does not like the crank signal being bothered by the MSD system so you will probably need a Tach Adapter to prevent an Check Engine light. Do a search for the part number.

Randy

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
MSD is just not worth it for our cars and especially internal coiled ones. I have had msd and it ran my car horribly, so has black hornet, quicks97, str8altima and manty others I know just locally. external obd1 is a little better in excepting MSD. but If you do not need the msd for high hp reasons than your fine. not worth it atleast for modifying 97.5 distributor unless you NEED To. I have a fully built car with n20 and no MSD and stock ECU. get a standalone ECU and yes you will need it for most units but much more tuning capabilities to go distributorless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts