The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cheetah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys who drives an automatic Altima ever change/flush your tranny fluid. I was looking at the owner's manual and it did not mention anything about it, but I am almost certain the fluid need to be changed along with the filter at certain point. They are not life time fluid/filter, is it? :rolleyes:

·
Cheetah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
victor said:
just says inspect. a good bet is 30K, however, don't go more than 60K
So, just change the fluid and filter between 30-60K or a flush is recommended/required? My car has about 62K and have never perform this before. Should I change or **FLUSH**??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
change you drain a portion and replace,
full flush you empty everything and replace.

go to the FAQ forum and look fro the thread titled ASSORTED PAGES FROM NSM

in the links in there is the page on doing a flush.

·
Cheetah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the information, Victor. the FAQ gives me a lot of informations.

A few more questions before I go ahead to change it:

I talked with Nissan dealer and they told me that Altima use Dextron III transmission fluid, if that is the case, do I have to use Nissan or I can go with any Drextron III fluid, any brand is recommended? Also, the dealer told me that they stop doing transmission flush (changes only). So, do you guys flush the tranny every 30K or just change it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
shmang said:

I talked with Nissan dealer and they told me that Altima use Dextron III transmission fluid, if that is the case, do I have to use Nissan or I can go with any Drextron III fluid, any brand is recommended? Also, the dealer told me that they stop doing transmission flush (changes only). So, do you guys flush the tranny every 30K or just change it?

Thanks in advance.
I had an independant shop do a flush prcess where they pump a cleaner in that dissolves varnish, then flush the thing out, then refill. This was at about 55k miles. I plan to do once a year, which is about every 38k miles currently.

Firemunki is right about a screen - pretty worthless. I added a universal external trans fluid filter kit I got from Summit Racing for about $30. It takes any one of several common, large oil filters. The shop said Saturns come with external trans filters like that.

·
Cheetah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shmang said:

Thanks in advance.
So, any comment on those questions? Thanks.

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
shmang said:

Thanks in advance.
go with any D-III fluid. and if you've got the instruction for a flush, do it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I think the following should be faq'd:

·
Cheetah
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi, guys, I just did a transmission flush. It is not hard, but this is my first time on doing works on automatic tranny.

Anyway, now it shifts much smoother. Thanks for everyone especially Victor for all the good info. :D :)

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
bg24623 said:
I also want to flush my automatic transmission, but I can only find the instructions on how to do a partial change. Can anyone tell me how to do a complete flush?
are you blind?

did you not see the post I eluded too?

its here.. http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3261

look for the one link ending in 193.

scroll down, see where it says Changing A/T Fluid? that is to change it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.