The Nissan Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really like the 2013+ sentras for their looks and fuel economy and many seem to be available that are under 50k miles for $12,000. But I am worried , how common is the CVT problem ? It seems (from what I've read on different review sites) like many people have to get their transmissions replaced at low miles on their 2013+ Sentras. I have a 2000 Altima that is over 250k miles and runs great, so I assume nissans are reliable. But now I am worried that Nissan isn't the same anymore and I am going to have to go with a different make. I love everything about the 2013+ sentras, but the cvt issues freak me out.

Is there anyone on this site that actually thinks the 2013+ sentras are reliable? Or are they all crapping out with their cvts? Does anyone have over 50k miles and no transmission problems?

I really want this car, but I am worried it may be a trap. Please, Does anyone actually think these cars are reliable?

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
CVT owners. Is there any hope with this car?

Thanks roog, glad to know the manual version seems ok
Keep in mind, Nissan was one of the pioneers of CVT technology, and they got it right when other manufacturers failed miserably. I have a 2015 SR (with CVT) that I just purchased, but I traded a Versa with a CVT--no issues. Also, I have a big family so my wife drives a Quest that we bought when we returned from overseas in 2012. We have over 60K miles on it and the CVT has been absolutely solid, and we drive the hell out of it....to include driving from North Dakota to Georgia. Of course, with enough Google'ing, you'll read about the horror stories, but no car manufacturer are without their fair share of horror stories....even the esteemed Toyota and Honda brands. I'm the type of person that does their homework, and before we bought our Quest I rented a Dodge Caravan, Honda Odessy, and Toyota Sienna. It was a very close decision between the Sienna and the Quest, and my wife simply liked the Quest a little better. I say that to reiterate that Nissan isn't perfect (no manufacturer is), but they do a really good job in regard to the CVT.

Also please remember this: The squeaky wheel get the grease, and most people come to Forums to complain about something. The satisfied customers are predominantly quiet in automotive forums.

Having said all that, in my opinion the Sentra is a great value, regardless of which transmission it has. You won't be winning any drag races, but if fuel efficient, reliable transportation is what you're after, you really can't go wrong with the Sentra. BTW--Nissan has redesigned the Sentra for 2016, and it looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a new 2015 Sentra SV automatic. Only 1100 miles so far, but very happy. Right now new 2015 models are going so cheap, I wouldn't buy a used one. I've seen some advertised around $12k for manuals and I got mine for $13.5k + ttl with the CVT. I've now seen Automatic S models going for $13.2k in central Texas.

You can't get any other new car with the Sentra's options and interior room that cheap. If a new Sentra is still too much for your bank, 2015 Versa's are also cheap. around $10k for new manuals and $12k for autos. Drove one when I was car shopping and wasn't a sucky as I thought it would be.

Overall though, I think a new Sentra is a better deal since it comes with most power options and the cheapest Versa model will have roll up windows and no remote door unlock, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sentra 2013+ CVT

All I know about the 2013 is just like my 2011, if you need parts for it, the dealer only has "Some" external parts. Meaning, if you want the belt, disks, or any of those parts, hopefully aftermarket will make some, or you will have to buy a whole new transmission.
The oil is crazy expensive too, up in Canada you have to use the NS-2, and its $45/L at the dealer. Amsoil has made what they are saying will do just as good, but still with nissan voids the warrenty.

I have a 2013 with the 1.8L out for a test drive and I had it awhile, so a few fill ups, and I got 37mpg non highway. Way better than my 2011 2.0L

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Man this is getting so difficult to choose . 2014 Sentras are now 10,000 bucks at several dealerships around me with 50,000 miles . they're such beautiful cars with great gas mileage and price . I just don't know if it will be a wise decision to get the 2014 Sentra and then have The transmission need replaced after driving it for 20,000 miles or so

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get the 2014 instead of 2013.

Nissan improved the steering and suspension setting on the 2014 (increased steering ratio, thicker sway bars, retuned shocks?) plus other bugs & glitches. Some of the complaints here came from the 2013 model which is not encountered in the 2014 model. These kinds of problems is usually common for the first year model releases of any brand which is the 2013 for the b17 sentra.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2014-nissan-sentra-press-kit
The 2014 Sentra's performance enhancements include:
A reduction in the transmission of engine noise into the passenger cabin through use of improved body insulation and sealing, along with a change in engine mount layout
More responsive steering feel, through use of a quicker steering ratio (16.3:1 versus the previous 18.6:1) and retuning of the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system
Body roll has been reduced through use of retuned springs, shocks and thicker stabilizer bars (22.0 mm front versus previous 19.0 mm, 24.6 mm rear versus previous 21.7 mm)
Ride comfort has been increased through improved body motion control, due to shock absorber damping force tuning
And acceleration feel has been enhanced through retuning of the Xtronic CVT, including the addition of a D-Mode step shift program

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would not buy a ONE year old car with 50k miles or more, doesn't matter what brand.

Figure out your budget AND if possible get your own financing before going to the dealer or seller. I wound up getting dealer financing, but only because my bank was too slow to process my old car's sale and other stuff. I'll refinance within the next few weeks.

Whatever you do, make sure the car you get has most of it's warranty intact. At most for a one year old car, I'd go 10-15k miles max.

·
Registered
17 Posts
also check out this thread from Nissan club. after viewing these reviews, it seems like a bad idea to get a 2013+ Sentra. I should probably just go with Corolla instead

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...-3.html#/forumsite/20547/topics/373161?page=1
If you're going to base your decision on one Altima thread, then you should probably Google this: "2013 Corolla Issues". There are plenty of complaints, defects, and regrets. This further illustrates my point that the squeaky wheel is all you hear about. No manufacturer is immune from problems, and in this day and age those problems will undoubtedly be plastered all over the internet forums. In my opinion, you should purchase the car that best fits your needs in terms of budget and style preference. If I were you, I'd test drive both the Corolla and the Sentra. After that, your decision will be a lot easier. For the love of all things Holy, don't base your decision solely on Internet posts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my 2015 for 3 months and have a little over 3,000 miles on it so far. The most "odd" part of the transmission for me as I get used to it is that by what I guess would equate to the "third shift" there seems to be a big lag or pause where I kind of wondered if I was going to blow the car up by continuing to accelerate. Also, if you're at highway speed and then need to do a hard brake to slow down quickly, the RPMs rev up as the car is slowing.

I've just considered my experiences above to be normal for the CVT since I heard that CVTs will feel different.

Also, has it been the same transmission in the car since 2013? There should be some high-mileage owners out there approaching 50K miles at this point.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The most "odd" part of the transmission for me as I get used to it is that by what I guess would equate to the "third shift" there seems to be a big lag or pause where I kind of wondered if I was going to blow the car up by continuing to accelerate.
That might be the clutch type sub-planetary gearbox shifting, aside from the normal belt & pulleys of the CVT.
Next generation XTRONIC CVT | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
At eco mode, mine shifts at 40 MPH, but can shift for as low as 22 mph if I do the gas pedal lightly.

Also, if you're at highway speed and then need to do a hard brake to slow down quickly, the RPMs rev up as the car is slowing.
I does that for engine braking and is more pronounced when you're in sport mode. I usually drive in eco mode and there's not much "down shifting".

Also, has it been the same transmission in the car since 2013?
Product Information | JATCO Ltd
It's the same Jatco CVT7 (with an auxillary sub-planetary gear box) which is also used by other car manufacturer. Has a max torque rating of 130 ft lbs (although the mr16ddt of the juke has 170 ft lbs (turbocharged) uses the same CVT).

The latest altima/maxima/rogue uses Jatco CVT8 (without the auxillary gear box, probably because it won't handle the greater torque)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a new 2014 Sentra SR about a year ago and have been very pleased with it so far. The 1.8L engine coupled with the newest generation of their Xtronic CVT is more than adequate as far as acceleration is concerned plus I get a fairly consistent 30 mpg in the mostly heavy stop and go city driving I do.

I wouldn't really be too concerned about CVT reliability. Nissan has been using some version of the CVT in their cars since 2002 and has made numerous improvements to it over the years. If it's such a bad transmission why are so many other car companies starting to use it ?

All things considered I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better compact sedan for the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts