The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2002 2.5S Altima from Hertz with 28,000 miles on it three weeks ago. So far, I've had Nissan replace the front console (due to a broken latch on the console door), replace the catalytic converter (SES light was "on" and water/steam was coming out tailpipe), and resecure loose fabric on a headrest.

I've got until March 1st to decide if I want to buy an extended warranty on the car from Hertz. The warranty seems to cover most of the important items on the vehicle and has no deductible. The three warranties offered are:

1. 4 years or 48,000 miles for $899

2. 4 years or 60,000 miles for $1199

3. 6 years or 70,000 miles for $1499

I'll probably put about 23,000 miles per year on the car (of which 80% will be freeway mileage) and will probably keep the vehicle until it has between 160,000 to 180,000 miles. Not being mechanically inclined, I don't personally perform any repair work on my car.

In your opinion, are any of these warranties worth the money?

·
18" SHOES
308 Posts
I agree. I drive a lot of rental cars for my job and I tell you what I have run some a lot of cars into the ground w/ only 5k miles on them. I could only imagine what was done to a 2002 w/ 28k miles on it. Get the warranty!!!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I would look into the Nissan gold preferred plan with $0 deductable. The price will be less then what Hertz is going to charge you and it is good at any Nissan dealer. In addition, you get trip protection etc. I have always been against getting one of these but with the problems I have been having, I figured it was well worth the price. If you do get it from Nissan, you can negotiate a price so having the Hertz information will help you along with the purchase. The dealer I purchased my car from wanted $990 for the gold preferred with zero deductable (100,000 mile) but I picked it up at a different dealer for less. One thing with the Nissan plan, you have to pay an additional $75 because your over 12k miles. As far as parts that are covered, the gold preferred even includes belts and hoses! Can't beat that.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Pricewise you can do better that what they've offered. I think I payed 827 for 5 year /100k Gold with no deductable. Keep working on them they'll come down.

I'm in the same boat as you are, 28k a year planning on keeping the car 7 years but don't want to deal with any issues in the first 3 years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
rbenkeser said:
I just bought a used 2002 2.5S Altima from Hertz with 28,000 miles on it three weeks ago. So far, I've had Nissan replace the front console (due to a broken latch on the console door), replace the catalytic converter (SES light was "on" and water/steam was coming out tailpipe), and resecure loose fabric on a headrest.

I've got until March 1st to decide if I want to buy an extended warranty on the car from Hertz. The warranty seems to cover most of the important items on the vehicle and has no deductible. The three warranties offered are:

1. 4 years or 48,000 miles for $899

2. 4 years or 60,000 miles for $1199

3. 6 years or 70,000 miles for $1499

I'll probably put about 23,000 miles per year on the car (of which 80% will be freeway mileage) and will probably keep the vehicle until it has between 160,000 to 180,000 miles. Not being mechanically inclined, I don't personally perform any repair work on my car.

In your opinion, are any of these warranties worth the money?
Those prices seem VERY HIGH for an extended warranty. I would not buy this from Hertz. You can find much better and cheaper ones. Do not give in to their pressure/deadline-as long as the car is still under manufacturer's warranty most other companies will be willing to sell you one without much problems. Just shop around and take your time comparing cost/benefits.
Go to Edmunds.com and look around, I remember seeing extended warranties advertised there, much much cheaper. But at any rate make sure you read the fine print-this is the time to do it, before you buy it so you do not run into unpleasant surprises. One way or another, since this was a rental car you can safely assume it has been thoroughly abused, you MUST buy an extended warranty.
From your info, you want to drive the car another approx. 150k mls, so you need at least a 6 year period (150k mls : 25k mls/year=6years) with as close to 150k mls as possible as a mileage limit.
Also, just as important as cost, make sure they have a good rating from the rating companies (i.e. AM Best ) you want them to still be in business when you'll need them, won't you :D
Try this and good luck
http://www.warrantybynet.com/?sourceid=00383699856672500661

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=auto+extended+warranty&btnG=Google+Search

·
Barkless Dog
1,933 Posts
Check the coverage if you are intending on modding it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"I think I payed 827 for 5 year /100k Gold with no deductable. Keep working on them they'll come down."

I agree with haggling, but the reason the prices are so high is probably because its a used car. When I bought my 02 new they offered me the gold plans at a certain price and told me I could buy them anytime during the warranty period, but as the car aged and the mileage went up so would the cost of coverage.

Being a rental car I'd be inclined get the coverage...4/60 is probably the best deal, but you're going to be out of coverage in 17 months...taking that into account I'd chance it...I don't think that short a period is worht that money, especially since you're planning on driving it about 3 years after the coverage expires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I guess that there must be a lot of discretion in what Nissan charges for their 5 year/100,000 Gold Preferred, $0 deductable plan. My local Nissan dealer just quoted me $1,373 for this coverage.

Should I shop this quote at other local Nissan dealers? If I find a better price from another Nissan dealer, does any Nissan dealer have to honor the extended warranty ... or just the dealer that I purchased the coverage from?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Any dealer will honor the plan if its a Nissan plan.

You might want to shop aftermarket warranty companies as well. You'll probably make compromises on coverage details, but would you sleep better at night knowing your cupholder bin cover was covered or that your powertrain and electrical system was covered for a couple hundred bucks less?

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
I know it's been said but being as it was a rental I'd buy some sort of warranty.
I agree with everyone else on the Nissan Gold being the best deal out there. I normally don't buy extended warranties but I bought the Gold version mainly because it was a first year model. I wasn't worried about the drivetrain so much as wierd electrical problems and build issues.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here's a link to a good aftermarker company. Nice thing about them is they pay via their credit card (so no out of pocket), and you can take your car anywhere from "Billy Bob's Car Repair" to Nissan dealers if you want.

The dealer that I bought my car from had very good things to say about them, as well. Good luck.

www.warrantygold.com

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
rbenkeser said:
Wow, I guess that there must be a lot of discretion in what Nissan charges for their 5 year/100,000 Gold Preferred, $0 deductable plan. My local Nissan dealer just quoted me $1,373 for this coverage.

Should I shop this quote at other local Nissan dealers? If I find a better price from another Nissan dealer, does any Nissan dealer have to honor the extended warranty ... or just the dealer that I purchased the coverage from?
This is where dealership make most of their profits. As you can see they're working for a 500 profit on top of what they made for the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Am I screwed if I JUST bought one, (Silver Preferred) cause the bastard told me there was $50.00 deductible! $985.00 72 mo./100k No mention of GOLD:mad: Damnit! I didn't know that shiot was negotiable!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Only a tard would buy a rental car from Hertz!:D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If you just got the silver go change it to the gold with zero deductable. If you look at the $50 deductable the language is a little odd, I think they get you for the service and each part. The price difference between zero deductable and $50 is not much and if you ever have to use it, you will break even.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only a tard would buy a rental car from Hertz!

We'll see. Hertz's price beat the local dealer's by $3,500 for the same vehicle. It also beat anything that I saw advertized by private owners by $1,500 - $3,000. The money saved will pay for the extended warranty plus lots of repairs beyond that. BTW, who says that private owners don't abuse their vehicles or try to sell their lemons too ... especially if they're selling them after only a year's time?

By the way, half an hour ago I faxed 15 local Nissan dealers a brief letter saying that I'm interested in the Nissan 60 month/ 100,000 mile Service + Gold Extended Warranty if they can sell it to me at the right price. The body of the letter stated that I was sending it out to multiple dealerships. One dealer already called me back saying that they'd sell it to me for $708 ($0 deductible) or $587 ($50 deductible).

This sure beats the prices I was getting quoted by some of the same dealerships before they knew that they had any competition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
rbenkeser said:

By the way, half an hour ago I faxed 15 local Nissan dealers a brief letter saying that I'm interested in the Nissan 60 month/ 100,000 mile Service + Gold Extended Warranty if they can sell it to me at the right price. The body of the letter stated that I was sending it out to multiple dealerships. One dealer already called me back saying that they'd sell it to me for $708 ($0 deductible) or $587 ($50 deductible).
What dealer did you go with. i'm thinking of getting it and this would be a great start for me. thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
rbenkeser said:
Only a tard would buy a rental car from Hertz!
And this is why:

http://www.fuelslut.com/~rick/camrytest256.wmv

Shit, the video is gone now..... anyway, someone rented a Camry from Enterprise and abuse it til the tires are bald. Doing 180 turns in parking lot at 60mph and swithcing into Reverse at high speed and max out in reverse speed. If that video is still available, you would see the horror of owning any rental car.

People tend to abuse cars when it's a rental. I personally won't buy a rental unless it's 1/2 less than the KBB value of the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts