The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Nissan Sentra SV has recently been skipping when I accelerate, so I took it in to a Midas to get it checked. They told me the Mass Airflow Sensor was worn and they suggested I get a new piece specific to my car (which I ordered twice).

The first one I ordered (22680-5RFOA) did fit my car, but it wasn't the right piece (according to another mechanic I spoke to after installing this piece). So I ordered the specific piece (22680-5RBOA) and installed it.

After I installed it, I saw the check engine light was still on. I then remembered that the mechanic I spoke to the 2nd time told me that it would be necessary to get my car reprogrammed to recognize the maf sensor, because I had been using the wrong piece and it recognized that instead.

My question is, is it necessary to reprogram the MAF sensor? Or does my car do it automatically?

·
Registered
495 Posts
My 2016 Nissan Sentra SV has recently been skipping when I accelerate, so I took it in to a Midas to get it checked. They told me the Mass Airflow Sensor was worn and they suggested I get a new piece specific to my car (which I ordered twice).

The first one I ordered (22680-5RFOA) did fit my car, but it wasn't the right piece (according to another mechanic I spoke to after installing this piece). So I ordered the specific piece (22680-5RBOA) and installed it.

After I installed it, I saw the check engine light was still on. I then remembered that the mechanic I spoke to the 2nd time told me that it would be necessary to get my car reprogrammed to recognize the maf sensor, because I had been using the wrong piece and it recognized that instead.

My question is, is it necessary to reprogram the MAF sensor? Or does my car do it automatically?
A replacement MAF does not require any type of manual reprogramming. The ECU will recognize that it's a different unit, so it'll make the required changes to fuel mappings.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
On some Nissans the new MAF will need to be combined with a reflash, I think they shorted the software envelope and it shows up as the cars get older.

Thinking we may be buying the MAFs for nothing and the software update would take care of it alone as long as the MAF still works right. Many cases of it needing done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts