The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I will be on the computer, and after a while, it will freeze. I will reboot, and the HDD will not load Win XP, and instead, I am asked to insert a system disc. If I reboot, it will do the same thing for a while. If I leave it off for a bit, it will be fine, and then repeat the cycle.

HDD too hot? I am thinking of taking the case cover off and leaving it off for a bit....see if things get better. The reason I have it on is for dust, otherwise I would just always leave it off.

Or is it something else?

Thanks!

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
mine is always off cause i don't see a need tohave it on. DUst will get in there either way. seems like it may be a heat problem. Try it with the side off and a fan on it. If that doesnt help it very well maybe the hdd is dying. How old is the machine?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HDD is less than 6 mos old.....turned on the A/C in the house, and now no probs....I am really thinking heat

·
Registered
447 Posts
Download Motherboard Monitor and to check CPU temps, anything over 75C isnt so good. What kind of HDD do you have? Usualy unless there is no air flow in your case, the HDD is able to withstand the heat.

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
heat can cause all sorts of problems. I say get yourself a new cpu cooler and see if that makes the system get better. If not you may not have enough circulation through the entire case. I have 7 case fans, 2 on my powersupply(one pulling air up and antoerh one pushing it out) , and a thermaltake volcano 11+ on my cpu. my system makes minimal noise and my processor rarely goes above 50 celcius.

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Running it with the side off is a good way to find obvious problems, of course. I've has cooling fans fail on two video cards and a mobo chipset. That's something you can see.
You may need to blow the dust out of your CPU heatsink - they can get pretty clogged.

·
How now brown cow?
3,865 Posts
98% of the time if the thing will not boot and says "insert system disk" that is a sign the hard drive is having issues. On occasion it will be the M/B, but usually the hard drive.

6 months old. sucks. Have you noticed that most places that used to offer 3 year warranties on their hard drives now offer only 1? The reliability on drives nowadays has not improved at all, they've just crammed more in there.

Next time it says "no system disk found" reboot and go in the BIOS and see if the drive is even detected.

·
Registered
904 Posts
get some fans to cool the hard drive down. it's probably the ventilation inside the computer. I had some scsi hard drives that would lock up the system until I put in some fans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts