The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving today behind some idiot doing 30 in a 70, and he started slowing down even more, which really pissed me off. The light in front of us was turning yellow, so I switched lanes and I dropped it from 3rd to 2nd to make it, but the gas got stuck all the way on the bottom because of my carpet, and it was redlining for about 2-3 seconds(while I was still pressing the clutch). It probably hit the limiter 7-8 times before I shut off the car. I know I didn't **** anything up, because if something happened, it would've happened then and there, but what about wear and tear? I don't think it's very good to redline your engine like that, even though it was just for a couple of seconds

edit: Main reason for this post is to comfort my dad. He was in the car with me and he got really pissed cause he thought that it really damaged the engine and also bitched at me for driving aggresively like that

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alchemist said:
clutch should have a lot more wear on it because of this. As for engine......as for the engine, nothing much should have happened, I'd get the oil changed just to make your dad happy
how come the clutch gets worn? I don't know exactly how it works

·
they call me the butcher
1,975 Posts
tell ur dad dont worry and if he doesnt like ur driving he can walk
nothing bad wil lhappen to the engine the limiter is there so u dont hurt the engine

·
Registered
475 Posts
clutch wears faster because you had it engaged. By having your foot on the clutch you were separating the trans from the flywheel (sort of ). obviously it will wear out a lot faster at higher RPMs. nothing to really worry about unless you do it a lot or for an extended period of time. They are right, thats what the limiter is for. My money says you probably cleaned some of the carbon off of the valves. Just suck it up to your pops and apologize i mean what you did was kinda stupid (do you own the car or did he pay for it?)

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
alchemist said:
clutch wears faster because you had it engaged. By having your foot on the clutch you were separating the trans from the flywheel (sort of ). obviously it will wear out a lot faster at higher RPMs.
???? I thought 95_XE had his clutch disengaged at the time this happened.

95_XE said:
...bottom because of my carpet, and it was redlining for about 2-3 seconds(while I was still pressing the clutch). It probably hit the limiter 7-8 times before I shut off the car...
So if the clutch wasn't touching the flywheel, how could that wear out the clutch???

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
YES free reving an engine to the limiter is very bad !!! Trust me , you wont want to do that very often ....

·
Registered
186 Posts
nismoalty said:
nothing bad wil lhappen to the engine the limiter is there so u dont hurt the engine
i don't think there is one in 95alti. i have a 97 and my doesn't have a rev limiter.

·
"Realistic Dreams"
121 Posts
I bounce my tach needle of the rev limiter probably once a day and so far nothing has gone wrong . I have been doing this for about a year now hoping that some thing will break so I can upgrade it without having to hear the woman bitch about spending money on the car. go figure everything is fine.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
alchemist said:
clutch wears faster because you had it engaged. By having your foot on the clutch you were separating the trans from the flywheel (sort of ). obviously it will wear out a lot faster at higher RPMs.
That would hurt the throwout bearing, and maybe the fingers on the pressure plate, but not the clutch disk itself.

·
Traded in Alti!!!
67 Posts
Does adding a chip take away the rev-limiter?? cause i was driveing the other day and i acsidentally hit it into nuetral while i was flooring it around a corner and it went up to the hightest redline and bounced off that, but i redline everyday like 7 nd 8 all the time..........

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Dont get me wrong I am bouncing off 7000 RPM every time I drive my Altima ... But to do that just freereving is very bad for the engine !!!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the input guys! I'm just really glad I didn't **** anything up. Gonna change the drivers carpet though, it's too thick and always bothering me when I press the clutch....

·
Registered
186 Posts
1fastaltima said:
yes it's definately there, the revlimiter. It's right after the red line. Every Altima has one.
maybe there is one manual alti, i have auto and i don't have it. just to make sure, i floored in neutral and park, my odometer almost made another circle, and nothing happened. so, i tried to do the same thing in my moms 3.0CL in park it topped at 5000rpm. and in neutral it went all the way and nothin happened.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts