The Nissan Club banner

Is there a way to make the "Alarm System" more sensitive?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  AlphaFox 
#1 · (Edited)
:rolleyes: Just traded in my 2001 accord for a 3.5 SE, Silver Altima.... and wondering if there is a way to upgrade the alarm system to make it more sensitive.... So that when i bang on the window or kick the tires it will go off... It'll be nice to know who's messing with my ride....serious paranoia....

-------------------------------------------
02 altima 3.5 SE, Sheer Silver, Stillen body kit & Street Scene Grill arriving in 4 days and counting,
99 sportster Harley Davidson,
96 Isuzu Hombre

#2 ·
No, not in the manner you are talking about. OEM alarm doesn't have shock sensors, so there is now way to make them more sensitive. You can tip the whole damn car over and it won't set off the OEM alarm.

It is not a terribly great system as far as alarms go, but the one on my Z did scare them away before they got to the stereo. Only problem is that they had already busted my window. Alarm only went off when the tried to unlock the door from inside without using the key (the way it is supposed to work).

#3 ·
mystycal666 said:
:rolleyes: Just traded in my 2001 accord for a 3.5 SE, Silver Altima.... and wondering if there is a way to upgrade the alarm system to make it more sensitive.... So that when i bang on the window or kick the tires it will go off... It'll be nice to know who's messy with my ride....serious paranoia....

i am wondering about the same thing. i have a passive alarm in my other car, the kind that arms itself even when you leave the car unlocked and ti arms itself,even locks itself.inoticed one time taht when i left the car(my alty) unlocked it locked itself and armed itself and this didnt happen again, is there soething that i d or didnt do.

-------------------------------------------
02 altima 3.5 SE, Sheer Silver, Stillen body kit & Street Scene Grill arriving in 4 days and counting,
99 sporster Harley Davidson,
96 Isuzu Hombre

#6 ·
there is probably a way to splice in an aftermarket shock sensor (or even glass break sensor) to the factory alarm. go see your local installer. I was able to add a Clifford shock sensor to the alarm on my Pioneer DEX-P1 (stereo that has a built in alarm). just needed a relay.

#8 ·
2002Altima said:
The alarm is most likely activated on the Dome light switches that are on all four doors. You could probably tap an impact sensor into those door dome light switches and then it would work.
i don't think that it would be quite that easy. there would have to be some kind of brain as well, or it would only be armed when the dome lights are on or off.

#9 · (Edited)
unleaded said:
i don't think that it would be quite that easy. there would have to be some kind of brain as well, or it would only be armed when the dome lights are on or off.
Your dome light switch is just that... a switch, on or off, 1 or 0.

If you put on that circuit another switch with on or off, that would trip the alarm. This switch would be a motion sensor. Could even be a mercury switch or something... kind of like in your air conditioner thermostat in your house.

CAR
| |
| |
| |
| |
-/- <--------- alarm switch (open until tripped)
| |
| |
-/- <--------- Dome light switch (open until car door is opened)

#10 ·
:) Will look into it tomorrow from the dealer...It was closed when i called.... But took another preventative measure....got my windows tinted with 45% metallic film, matches the silver on my car... the tint shop took a reading on the window after it was completed and it came out to 37%--------------->2% close to the legal limit of 35% in Mass!!! Whew!!! close! but went with 35% tint in the rear window.... this will keep curious people from peeping in...just a preventative measure for now..............

#12 ·
Re: shock sensor

M-Easy said:
this dude hooked up a shock sensor to the factory alarm.
http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/howtoo.html

This guy's pretty bright....the information is helpful....but check with the dealer today and they don't do anything with the fact. alarm....and if it's done by an alarm shops then the fact. warranty would be voided....if something were to happens to the electrical system....

#14 ·
From the ESM for Altima 2002

I'm reading the Service Manual and the alarm can be triggered by (1) Doors, trunk opened without the key or keyfob, (2) hood (there's a sensor that turns the light on and triggers the alarm). There are no motion detectors, so there's no sensibility adjustment. Must be careful doing electrical work around the Alty 2k2... it's got three 'real computers' controlling everything. It even has a CAN (Control Area Network) that links the three main controls. The alarm circuits are located at the BCM (Body Control Module) that also controls door locks, wipers, window motors, lights, etc. These cpu's can be easily damage, and they recommend disconnecting the battery (both wires) and wait 3 minutes (this is how long the Air Bag deployment circuit keeps alive after a crash (and a dead battery).
If montion sensor I think would could be installed in parallel with the hood switch. This will trigger the alarm (if armed).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.