The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Murano , I love my car but the mootor overheated when my son had it and now need to replace the motor . everywhere I have looked shows dropping motor from underneath,Ugh! I am a backyard mechanic without any way to really lift the car to pull from bottom can it be taken from the top? Help!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,730 Posts
I would be super surpised if that's even possible. That is a crap ton of work with very little clearance to work with. I know that's not the answer you're looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not , I just hate to lose the car over the motor. I can't figure out how to take out from bottom in a dirt driveway which is what I have. and up on blocks.

·
6,730 Posts
I don't even know how you'd roll a engine hoist around on a dirt driveway, I think at a minimum you'd need a concrete pad, if only for safety, if not ease of movement.

So let's circle around to why the engine needs replacing? Is it a blown head gasket, rod knock...because a head gasket leak should be possible in situ, but anything block related/lower down not so much. You'll probaby still have to rock the engine back and forth to get at stuff, but not having to drop the subframe would be a boon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My son drove my car it overheated and kept driving thinking the overflow had water so he cooled down enough to get it home around the block, we found that the radiator had split in the top. replaced the radiator and started getting a # 3 misfire code , replaced the coils and when started we were getting bubbles in the overflow and overheating still, figure blown head tried some stuff that was supposed to seal but did not work so it has a blown head . these small motors tend not to do well once this happens. Then some teens stole the car from my side yard went for a joy ride and I don't know how far they drove it but they did abandon it and I got it back with no keys and now will start but cannot run long before overheating so yes blown head but don't know now with what happened if I can replace the heads and have the car run correctly or not and hate to invest in heads if it won't run right. no knocking tho. So not rods

·
6,730 Posts
Well that sucks. I don't think doing the heads will be any less work, but at least it's all doable from the top (except the exhaust disconnects). If you take your time and get the heads machined...there should be a good chance of success.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
'....there should be a good chance of success.'

IF they didn't combined drive the engine long enough to cook the rings and distort cylinder walls as well. Head(s) alone often don't fix all on one severely overheated. Thinwall block castings now used often crack blocks too.

Yanking from the bottom on dirt? I have stone age conditions and do just that, you sometimes have to remove the head and higher parts to get engine shorter in height. to get it out easier while avoiding vehicle having to lift so high.

It's like working on P-47s in European fields where and the way I do it yet the work goes fine with no issues. I've yanked engine, trans, and engine/trans together. A pain in the hoohahs but doable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did some checking on my Murano, Sadly the motor has now seized up completely from setting so long I guess but thank you both for the responses. Usually I can take out a motor pretty readily from the top. we use plywood to support the engine puller and it works but now I think I will just get rid of this one! Sad , I liked the car but its time for a new one and I do not think I will go back to Nissan. To difficult to work on. I usually like to keep cars simple.

·
6,730 Posts
I just did some checking on my Murano, Sadly the motor has now seized up completely from setting so long I guess but thank you both for the responses. Usually I can take out a motor pretty readily from the top. we use plywood to support the engine puller and it works but now I think I will just get rid of this one! Sad , I liked the car but its time for a new one and I do not think I will go back to Nissan. To difficult to work on. I usually like to keep cars simple.
I completely understand, the Murano, like my Altima has a 10 gallon engine in a 3 gallon car...it's like it's poured in there. Tons of fun, unti the day it goes wrong....

RIP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts