The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes. read this http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

do you have a need for non-87 octane gas?
if you hear your engine ping or knock? if not, go to 87.

you would need higher octane gas IF!:
you are using forced induction.
you have high compression pistions.
different cams.
aggressive timing.

our engines are designed for 87.

you know, you can make your own octane booster.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone noticed a difference in the 2nd gens when running 89 octane in the system? If I run 87, I get a slight pulsation through the gas pedal on the highway and slightly lower gas mileage. The dealer has checked this out, and couldn't find anything wrong. Just wondering if anyone else had seen these symptoms. I've been running 89 for six months, and none of those problems have happened in that time.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
I have just about every bolt on minus clutch/catback/ECU, but we started running 93 a little while after all the boltons and you could see the mileage go up. The car also used to "tick" after we turned off the motor and it just sat after driving. It doesn't do that anymore. We also put in a N.O.S. octane booster when filling up.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My standard response to this question whenever I see the subject brought up is to say that the only difference between gasoline with an 87 octane rating and gas with a higher rating, is that gas with a higher octane rating ignites at a higher temperature. There is no other difference.

If an Altima engine with stock internals knocks or pings using 87 rated gasoline, there’s something wrong with it that’s causing the gasoline to ignite prematurely.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
AlienAlt said:
Personally i think the car runs a bit smoother.....i always use 93....it is cleaner too.

In the long run it can't hurt right?!?:cool:
The only thing that might be a problem with using 93 is incomplete combustion, but the only thing I know it hurts is your wallet.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
ok heres my story...i had a 87 vw gti and a 91 jetta gli 16v when i had them...i mean when i first bought them i let the old gas just burn up....i was on e for a while....then i slapped in a full tank of sunoco ultra 94....and wow it was like a turbo boost....both cars just loved revving....anyway when i had the gti i had this argument with someone....so they convinced me that i was waisting my money....so i used some 1/2 tank of 89 and well....
my car turned into a POS bigtime....shit would shiver like a bitch at a light....wouldnt rev like it did with the 94....i let that gas burn...threw in some injector cleaner and put a full tank of 94 and vroooom......back to normal....that was one situation....

now with the alty....when i bought it the guy gave it to me with a ull tank..when i asked what he used he told me 87.....so i let that gas burn up.....and slapped a full tank of 94 from sunoco and again....vrooooooooooom!!!!shit was on crack....i felt like it was on nos....

then one day i passed a exxon and i needed gas bad....so i said fuk it...this will be the real test.....so i put the best shit they had....their premium....93 i think...and well my car became a POS....shivering....shaking...new noises...i was like fukkkkkk....so i burnt that up...added some fuel injector cleaner and a full tank of the 94 and vrooooooom!!!!chirping in second slight chirp in 3rd...

my point is....say what u want...u wont convince me....sunoco..ultra 94...i dont care how much it is....i know my car loves it....

also i went to vegas last april....and my uncle had a old ass caravan and he uses the cheapest gas...well when he lent me the van....after driving for a while i had to look out and fill up his tank....so i went to texaco.....added a full tank of that premium shit they have.....some special shit and wow.....that car changed totally.....also was much MUCH quieter....too bad theres no texaco's by me....i wanna try some.....

if my car were financed or leased i wouldnt care but i own my car and i plan on keeping my shit for madd long....so only the good shit for me.......

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
kenshi said:
The only thing that might be a problem with using 93 is incomplete combustion, but the only thing I know it hurts is your wallet.
And because of incomplete combustion, you're burning dirtier, not cleaner.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
altima95seny said:
ok heres my story...i had a 87 vw gti and a 91 jetta gli 16v when i had them...i mean when i first bought them i let the old gas just burn up....i was on e for a while....then i slapped in a full tank of sunoco ultra 94....and wow it was like a turbo boost....both cars just loved revving....anyway when i had the gti i had this argument with someone....so they convinced me that i was waisting my money....so i used some 1/2 tank of 89 and well....
my car turned into a POS bigtime....shit would shiver like a bitch at a light....wouldnt rev like it did with the 94....i let that gas burn...threw in some injector cleaner and put a full tank of 94 and vroooom......back to normal....that was one situation....

now with the alty....when i bought it the guy gave it to me with a full tank..when i asked what he used he told me 87.....so i let that gas burn up.....and slapped a full tank of 94 from sunoco and again....vrooooooooooom!!!!shit was on crack....i felt like it was on nos....

then one day i passed a exxon and i needed gas bad....so i said fuk it...this will be the real test.....so i put the best shit they had....their premium....93 i think...and well my car became a POS....shivering....shaking...new noises...i was like fukkkkkk....so i burnt that up...added some fuel injector cleaner and a full tank of the 94 and vrooooooom!!!!chirping in second... slight chirp in 3rd...

my point is....say what u want...u wont convince me....sunoco..ultra 94...i dont care how much it is....i know my car loves it....

also i went to vegas last april....and my uncle had a old ass caravan and he uses the cheapest gas...well when he lent me the van....after driving for a while i had to look out and fill up his tank....so i went to texaco.....added a full tank of that premium shit they have.....some special shit and wow.....that car changed totally.....also was much MUCH quieter....too bad theres no texaco's by me....i wanna try some.....

if my car were financed or leased i wouldnt care but i own my car and i plan on keeping my shit for madd long....so only the good shit for me.......

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
I can tell a small difference in the way my car sounds and feels between 87 and 89, but no difference between 89 and 92. So I figure 89 is worth the extra buck or so per tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.