The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Altima 2.5S

The glove box is fully closed in the picture. Is the gap between the glove box door and container normal? It seems like it should be closer when closed, but I don't know what it's supposed to look like. I checked the six screws for the glove box and they seem a little off because they're going in more angular than straight, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the gap I'm seeing.

Also, the hump to the upper right of the glove box feels like it's supposed to closer to the car body, but I also don't know if the gap there is normal either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
2011 Altima 2.5S

The glove box is fully closed in the picture. Is the gap between the glove box door and container normal? It seems like it should be closer when closed, but I don't know what it's supposed to look like. I checked the six screws for the glove box and they seem a little off because they're going in more angular than straight, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the gap I'm seeing.

Also, the hump to the upper right of the glove box feels like it's supposed to closer to the car body, but I also don't know if the gap there is normal either.
No.
Someone probably did a DIY cabin filter change and did not redo properly.
Check youtube on how to change cabin filter for altima and take it all back apart yourself, while you are doing it just change the filter also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No.
Someone probably did a DIY cabin filter change and did not redo properly.
Check youtube on how to change cabin filter for altima and take it all back apart yourself, while you are doing it just change the filter also.
Thanks for letting me know it wasn't normal. I took down the glove box and figured out what was wrong:

Turns out, the string mechanism that holds the glove box door does not retract far back enough into the tube when closed, so the door is loose. The dealership I bought the car from did a quick fix by inserting these larger stoppers to make the glove box door appear to be normal. I suspect these rubber stoppers aren't the stock/OEM pieces that came with the car.

I couldn't figure out how to tighten the string back, so I had the just put everything back. Guess I'll live with the gap.

EDIT: So, the string mechanism appears to be the glove box damper part, and would only cost $11 MSRP to replace. I might do that, assuming that this is in fact my issue.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just an FYI the string mechanism you speak of does not hold the glove box closed, it slows the speed of the door when opening it.

The stoppers are OEM too.

Back to the drawing board...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts