The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
PhattyAltNAtl said:
Save yourself the trouble, buddy and get a new one. Like they said that car has no guarantee. Besides, it sounds like it has some extensive damage (funny how they say it has front end damage yet they won't show you how much on the pic) so you can bet you'll be paying a fat chip on repairing it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Estimated repair cost:
2 headlights = $180each=260
radiator= $300
hood= no idea! let's say 500
fender= $200
airbag= $?????150$?
That comes out to around 1400$
Transmission = ??600?
This is the cheapest you can get but I doubt you can get it at that price.
The parts alonecosts 2000$
The labor will probably be even more.
I wouldn't get this if I were you.. it's not like the damage is small cosmetics. If the internals are busted, it's gonno cause you problems in the long run.

·
What it is!
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have an '02 2.5, but I was just curious to see if anyone would actually buy one. I would like oto get some pieces off there though, like the taillights, and the seats.

He would probably make more selling the parts, rather than the whole car.

Oh well.... What a waste!:(

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
the whole salvage deal sucks. think of it this way: a car is deemed salvaged if the ins co doesn't want to pay to repair it. When does the company not want to pay? Usually when it costs more to repair than it does to just pay u the cost of the car before the accident. So you figure the cars gotta be worth at least 14k...I can't imagine how much it'll cost to repair since the ins co thought it wasn't worth it to fix. I was also told that ins will walk away from any frame damage cuz it makes the car structure weaker...which can lead to your death...and we know the ins co doesn't wanna pay for deaths. (I was told frame damage fact by my claims agent after my altima in my sig was totalled in a hit and run).
Generally, I stay away from salvaged for the ins reason. And if you decide to sell the car later, good luck...I find that typical buyers think "salvaged" is the same as "junked"...it's much more difficult to sell and harder to get a good price.
Jae

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, it really is not worth getting IMHO.

Best case senario you spend a lot of time and $ getting the thing back to normal, now you have a 4cyl, auto, no leather, no sunroof,
no spoiler, baically plain jane altima. Plus, after all your hard work, it still has basically no resale value whatsoever. The only way it could come close to being a deal is if you got it cheap enough to where you could make some $$ parting it out, but even then it is a royal PITA and you are left with a stripped car in your driveway that you have to get hauled away.

·
AE '00
356 Posts
Tico, where did you get that sig?? It's tripping me out, hahahahahaha :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't see how the engine could be okay. Look closely at the front end pic. The car was smacked pretty good. I wouldn't bother. Parts are going to be expensive. The salvage yards won't have any parts so you would have to get them ALL though a dealer. If the shop that has the car could make a profit they wouln't be selling it...!

A shame to see a car like this with only 116 miles.....:(

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
YleKiot said:
If the shop that has the car could make a profit they wouln't be selling it...!
I thought it was a private seller. Body shops don't get to keep the cars. that brings up another point. Why would the guy think he could get more money by selling the altima than take what his insurance reimburses him? What's his deductible?
Jae

·
Da Shiznit
520 Posts
My Theory....

Since the car only has 112 miles on it and the seller is charging sales TAX to the buyer id they are NJ it isn't being sold by a private party. (unless NJ's laws are different)

I think it was on a test drive and the yahoo who was driving it rearended someone and they have no job/money/life so the dealer is out the car. And the dealer is prob self insured so instead of fixing it salvage it and sell as is and cut their losses...

Just a guess though.....

jf_spade..... I got the original off their website and butchered it. Do you know who they are?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I thought that when you test drive a dealer car, you're covered under the dealer's insurance? I thought that was the case cuz I know someone who's a sales guy and crashed several new cars; all were covered by the dealership. Well whatever the situation, it's pretty strange.
Jae

·
Da Shiznit
520 Posts
Jae,

Salesmen are always covered under their insurance and when you take a test drive I think you are covered under their liability but if there is an accident and you are at fault I am sure the dealer is not gonna just let you walk away ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
hehe. maybe i'll change my mind about becoming a sales person.
Jae

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.