The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a hand full of friends that Chrome rims are too heavy for your car and it will put a strain on your transmission, eventually damaging the tranny. Is this true at all. I dont think so, but I thought that I can get some other views.

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
chrome is like .001" thick. copper nickel then chrome. its really not much heavier than the wheel of same design painted. its usually the design of the chrome rims that makes it heavy. (to show as much bling as possible)

·
Registered
17 Posts
over-sized wheels also F'up your tranny...weight jus slows ya down...and looks ugly:eek:

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
what does wheels have to do with tranny....

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
If you want super-light Chrome wheels, get HRE's or Fikse's. :D I think OZ has light Chromies too. These are going to take a big-ass bite out of your checking account though.

The reason why Chromies are usually heavier (usually only by a pound or so), is because the Nickel is heavier than the alloys.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
chiadog said:
what does wheels have to do with tranny....
That's what I thought, but then again, Tony Lau ("1clnaltima") has been through 2 trannys I think on his 19"ers. <shrug>

·
I &#9829; speedbumps
1,459 Posts
I'm guessing the slight difference in weight puts a strain on the tranny and drive shafts to make the wheels turn to the proper speed..just as increase in diameter/circumference of the wheel makes your speedo off. Who knows..just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts