The Nissan Club banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
same problem

Hi there. a little late but i have yhe same problem post head gasket repair. started up beautifully but when the engine gotbup to operating temp it started to bog down and idle poorly until it stalled completely. now it idles very bad. i had a new pcv valve but i broke it when checking my timing earlier. so i took the old one and cleaned it up and tried to put it in. it seems its clear maybe its nfg. ill try to see if its defective. otherwise im going to check my timing. good god this sucks. stalls.

· IT Consultant
636 Posts
Old but bumping for the same reason.

New gaskets (including head gasket), new TB, new injectors, new plugs, new cam sensor.

After the TB and battery are unplugged for a while, and you start it, it starts great. Idle is not super smooth, but smooth enough. When you drive it, it drives fine.

But as the car learns, idle messes up. If you do the idle relearn procedure, it will consistently just stall and die a second after starting successfully. Same deal with driving it around for a minute. Let it idle, and it dies in a second.

No error codes, at all.

PCV hose was never removed from the plenum. MAF sensor has been squeaky cleaned.
Tomorrow my dad and I may end up driving it to the shop and revving it in neutral if stopped at a stop light.

· Registered
93 Posts
stalls

i had the exact same problem when i started up. it did the relearn by itself as the idle kept dipping down and i had to keep pressing the pedal to avoid stalling. i thought my TB was broken or something like that. i opened up the valve cover and turned the cams to make sure my timing was correct(lobes pointing forward and back equally 180 degrees apart intake exhaust) and everything was fine. i hooked everything back up and then it ran fine with an idle at 780 rpm. i did the relearn and in the process of doing that it does the lowering the idle until it stalls and i spiked the gas two times and it relearned itself and idles at ~630-660.

its a pain but hopefully it will resolve itself stick with it. it shouldnt be anything major

21 - 26 of 26 Posts