The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all safe and healthy in these crazy times.

I am frustrated with my brand new 2020 Nissan Sentra. There are a couple of major issues. I am totally ticked off and would appreciate any advise on a potential resolution. This is the 3rd Nissan I have owned and not had any major issues in the past with the other two:

1. Rattling Noise

From Day 2 of purchasing my car from Cool Springs Nissan in Franklin, TN, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the car. It was not very loud but nonethless very annoying and not what I expected in a brand new car. Happens every single time. Let me summarize my intercations so far:
  • 4 different visits to two local dealerships (Cool Spings Nissan and Murfreesboro Nissan).
  • First diagnosis was explained as something to do with the exhaust system. Took it to the second dealership to get some after market accessories installed and thet claimed to have fixed it - WRONG - it was not fixed! Still rattling away.
  • Took it back to Cool Springs Nissan and they had a couple of Nissan engineers that particular day. They did not know what it was and obviously could not diagnose the problem. They claimed the car they were driving had it too (2020 Nissan Sentra) and also claim they test drove two other cars on the dealer lot that were having the same issue.
  • They supposedly escalated to Corporate Engineering who apparently stated they the factory was aware of this "issue". However, there is NO fix at this point - Shocking!!

2. Apple Car Play:

My Apple Car play will not work because Nissan has not obtained an update for the current version of the IOS software. They told me that it was only compatible to the 13.2 version. which was the one when they sold the car to me. My phone is updated to the 13.6 IOS version. Having owned the car for just over two months, I do not have access to my maps or music on my screen when using my IPhone which the only option for me. Worse yet, I was told at the delaership that it was not Nissan's fault! Say what? The Apple Car Play was certainly an important feature in my decision making process to purchase the car. So, I am now out of luck until Apple sends an update to Nissan. What happens when Apple upgrades its software to the next version? Do I have to wait for Nissan's convenience to get this updated? Again shocking?

Finally, to make matters worse, I got a call today from Nissan Consumer Affairs. One of the very first questions they asked me was what would be a satsifactory resolution for me. I told them I needed the two issues fixed ASAP and started to get increasingly frustrated when the guy (Brandon) kept telling me there was nothing they could do until there was a resolution from their factory. When I asked for a timeframe, the answer was "I cannot tell you". It is completely open-ended. He could not even answer when the previous version of the IOS software was upgraded and said they had no access to this information. Additonally, he said that the dealership was responsible for fixing the car (for which there is no fix according to the dealer). The deaership tells me there is nothing they can do and Nissan tells me there is nothing they can do.

So now, I am one unhappy owner of a borderline lemon. Any advice on escalation/resolution would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing with me, the rattling sound. I bought the 2020 SR about 18 days ago. When I accelerate I hear a rattling sound, it's very low but with the windows down and the sunroof open, I can hear it. It's annoying, brand new car with 375 miles on it. The sound goes away once I let go of the accelerator. Took it to the service department. Drove the car with the Nissan tech, he heard the sound told me that for the Sentra that was normal. I looked at him as if he were crazy. A new car should not sound like that. It also makes that sound when I first turn it on for about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jay,
Update: Nissan would not do anything. I called the dealership and spoke to their owner. He offered me back the full purchase price of the car in exchange for a Nissan Altima ( I paid for the difference of course) I wanted another Sentra, but the remaining ones on the lot had the same rattling noise. Not sure if this helps.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing with me, the rattling sound. I bought the 2020 SR about 18 days ago. When I accelerate I hear a rattling sound, it's very low but with the windows down and the sunroof open, I can hear it. It's annoying, brand new car with 375 miles on it. The sound goes away once I let go of the accelerator. Took it to the service department. Drove the car with the Nissan tech, he heard the sound told me that for the Sentra that was normal. I looked at him as if he were crazy. A new car should not sound like that. It also makes that sound when I first turn it on for about 10 seconds.
Hello. i have same 2020 SR, got it two weeks ago, i get same noise when i accelerate, with windows down i can hear it (i assume exhaust). Also some rattle noise that looks like coming from dashboard area, that dashboard rattle occurs on bad road, seems like something is loose.

Few other stuff, new car and dealer had to do touch up paint in few places lol my guess, during assembly at the factory they missed it in few spots, NISSAN come on!

Extremely annoying! brand new car! for 24 thousand i could buy lots of cars, (slightly used lexus, infiniti or acura)

Sentra is my 3d nissan, and possibly last one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. i have same 2020 SR, got it two weeks ago, i get same noise when i accelerate, with windows down i can hear it (i assume exhaust). Also some rattle noise that looks like coming from dashboard area, that dashboard rattle occurs on bad road, seems like something is loose.

Few other stuff, new car and dealer had to do touch up paint in few places lol my guess, during assembly at the factory they missed it in few spots, NISSAN come on!

Extremely annoying! brand new car! for 24 thousand i could buy lots of cars, (slightly used lexus, infiniti or acura)

Sentra is my 3d nissan, and possibly last one.
Maybe a disgruntled plant assembly employee may have purposely left something inside the dashboard. :)

·
Registered
2021 Sentra SV
2 Posts
Howdy,

I notice this topic was started a few months ago but I thought this might help...

I just got a 2021 Sentra myself. And the first day, I noticed an odd "rattle" or "tapping" noise, seemingly coming from the firewall area. It sounded to me like detonation (engine knock) but I assumed that was impossible at low speeds, using good gas.

I have not mentioned it to my dealer. But I read an article recently that suggested one of the (MANY) drawbacks of the Direct Inject setup is that the much higher fuel pressure required makes the fuel delivery system very noisy. They said if one has good ears, you might hear it while driving at low speeds. They also said some car makers have added insulation or tried other methods to hush it.

Well, I have excellent hearing and I hear the noise on my Sentra. It's not a big deal and I can easily block it out, especially if playing music or whatever. But it's there.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the supposed dirty intake valves we can expect around 20,000 miles!

Hope this helps and be safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
At least you all have some sound. I can turn mine on drive 5 miles and the radio screen goes blank. No cameras, no radio, no anything. It has been in the shop five times. Last time they changed out the radio with a new one. I pick up the car and it stopped working by the time I got home. So over this shit. I knew I should have gotten a Mustang.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At least you all have some sound. I can turn mine on drive 5 miles and the radio screen goes blank. No cameras, no radio, no anything. It has been in the shop five times. Last time they changed out the radio with a new one. I pick up the car and it stopped working by the time I got home. So over this shit. I knew I should have gotten a Mustang.
Hello, I have same issue, screen goes off and resets by it self lol my guess due to Android Auto?.... and lots of other stuff, I guess Nissan never going to change lol quality wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy,

I notice this topic was started a few months ago but I thought this might help...

I just got a 2021 Sentra myself. And the first day, I noticed an odd "rattle" or "tapping" noise, seemingly coming from the firewall area. It sounded to me like detonation (engine knock) but I assumed that was impossible at low speeds, using good gas.

I have not mentioned it to my dealer. But I read an article recently that suggested one of the (MANY) drawbacks of the Direct Inject setup is that the much higher fuel pressure required makes the fuel delivery system very noisy. They said if one has good ears, you might hear it while driving at low speeds. They also said some car makers have added insulation or tried other methods to hush it.

Well, I have excellent hearing and I hear the noise on my Sentra. It's not a big deal and I can easily block it out, especially if playing music or whatever. But it's there.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the supposed dirty intake valves we can expect around 20,000 miles!

Yea this is sucks, especially on new car. I still have rattle(sounds like a loose metal part), that looks like coming from behind of dashboard... my car been in service twice! I'm suspecting, that it could be exhaust related, maybe that metal cover on headers??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe a disgruntled plant assembly employee may have purposely left something inside the dashboard. :)
Could be. Its a Nissan!!! LoL but after everything was completed and I was about to leave dealer, I noticed, by the driver rear wheel, paint is missing !!!! And they told me its a factory defect 😡😡 after I bought the car lol FML......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I have same issue, screen goes off and resets by it self lol my guess due to Android Auto?.... and lots of other stuff, I guess Nissan never going to change lol quality wise.
It can’t be an android problem because I use Apple play. The guy at the Nissan place here tried blaming it on Apple phones. Does your stay off for hours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It can’t be an android problem because I use Apple play. The guy at the Nissan place here tried blaming it on Apple phones. Does your stay off for hours?
It happens once in a while, it either freeze and I have to disconnect usb cable from my phone or it resets by it self. If your stays off for hours, nissan dealer should replace headunit. And unfortunately these dealers don't wanna do anything 😠😠

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 202 Nissan. I’m having Apple play issues that many of you are as well. My back up camera also goes blue and then black and auto breaking system will randomly go off stopping my car. I’m trying to get some sort of a resolution because it’s a safety issue, but they keep turning me away saying there is no fix so they can’t do anything. I called the corporate office and submitted a claim but they also said they could do nothing about it. I’m furious because they obviously don’t care about the safety of their customers. I will NEVER purchase a Nissan again. If anyone has advice please let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took my 2020 Sentra for service 4 days ago, only had 4891 miles, told him about this same noise effect, said it was fuel injector and it was normal. Seems abnormal to me. Never started hearing this ticking noise til it reached about 2500 miles if not before. Seems to get louder, more noticeable now with 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Howdy,

With this new technology of direct fuel injection, it seems that on certain engines the back of the intake valves and their ports can become coated with carbon deposits. On the older style port-injection systems, the spray of fuel directed onto the valves kept this from happening as modern fuels contain cleaners. If enough carbon builds up it can cause rough idling, stumbling on acceleration, stalling, check engine lights, increased fuel consumption and a general lack of power. Some drivers experienced this with well under 30,000 mi on the engine. Short trips that don’t allow the engine to see any significant time at full operating temperatures can aggravate this condition.
Another problem with direct injection is with ethanol fuel. Ethanol is known to speed up the corrosion rate of some metals that are used in an engine. With the higher pressure of a direct injection engine, and thanks to the fuel injector being exposed to in-cylinder explosions, there’s a higher chance of a problem or failure. Because of this, it’s more important to use higher quality fuels.
Many owners of vehicles with direct fuel injection are experiencing strange noises like rattling, pinging like sounds which nothing much can be done about it. It's the outcome of this technology. IMO, I would stay away from vehicles that use this technology. It looks like in the coming years, a lot of automobile manufacturers will be going over to this technology. When that happens, I'll be buying an all electric vehicle like the Tesla.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all safe and healthy in these crazy times.

I am frustrated with my brand new 2020 Nissan Sentra. There are a couple of major issues. I am totally ticked off and would appreciate any advise on a potential resolution. This is the 3rd Nissan I have owned and not had any major issues in the past with the other two:

1. Rattling Noise

From Day 2 of purchasing my car from Cool Springs Nissan in Franklin, TN, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the car. It was not very loud but nonethless very annoying and not what I expected in a brand new car. Happens every single time. Let me summarize my intercations so far:
  • 4 different visits to two local dealerships (Cool Spings Nissan and Murfreesboro Nissan).
  • First diagnosis was explained as something to do with the exhaust system. Took it to the second dealership to get some after market accessories installed and thet claimed to have fixed it - WRONG - it was not fixed! Still rattling away.
  • Took it back to Cool Springs Nissan and they had a couple of Nissan engineers that particular day. They did not know what it was and obviously could not diagnose the problem. They claimed the car they were driving had it too (2020 Nissan Sentra) and also claim they test drove two other cars on the dealer lot that were having the same issue.
  • They supposedly escalated to Corporate Engineering who apparently stated they the factory was aware of this "issue". However, there is NO fix at this point - Shocking!!

2. Apple Car Play:

My Apple Car play will not work because Nissan has not obtained an update for the current version of the IOS software. They told me that it was only compatible to the 13.2 version. which was the one when they sold the car to me. My phone is updated to the 13.6 IOS version. Having owned the car for just over two months, I do not have access to my maps or music on my screen when using my IPhone which the only option for me. Worse yet, I was told at the delaership that it was not Nissan's fault! Say what? The Apple Car Play was certainly an important feature in my decision making process to purchase the car. So, I am now out of luck until Apple sends an update to Nissan. What happens when Apple upgrades its software to the next version? Do I have to wait for Nissan's convenience to get this updated? Again shocking?

Finally, to make matters worse, I got a call today from Nissan Consumer Affairs. One of the very first questions they asked me was what would be a satsifactory resolution for me. I told them I needed the two issues fixed ASAP and started to get increasingly frustrated when the guy (Brandon) kept telling me there was nothing they could do until there was a resolution from their factory. When I asked for a timeframe, the answer was "I cannot tell you". It is completely open-ended. He could not even answer when the previous version of the IOS software was upgraded and said they had no access to this information. Additonally, he said that the dealership was responsible for fixing the car (for which there is no fix according to the dealer). The deaership tells me there is nothing they can do and Nissan tells me there is nothing they can do.

So now, I am one unhappy owner of a borderline lemon. Any advice on escalation/resolution would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Chris
I had a rattling noise from the front passenger side area. It sounded like a hollow metal rattling noise as if something is loose in either exhaust or AC ducting in the dash intermittently. When checking tire pressure, I noticed a service person put too much air in my all four tires; were 36-37 psi all around while it should be 33 psi. I reduced the tire pressure to factory specification (at 33 psi), and test drove about 100 miles. The problem went away and has not been encountered ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy,

I am having clicking/ tapping noise from the firewall area as well. It sounds at low speeds particularly at the bumps, decelerating accelerating at low speeds. I do not hear at highway speeds. When I turn the steering of the car from side to side while stationary, it makes a similar clicking noise, so I think it is from the steering wheel column, which from how it sounds it may be better to have insulated or add structural rigidity to avoid rattling (The front-wheel-drive cars have powerplant power train and steering mechanisms close together). Since I drive on the freeway all the time, and seems to be safe as it is, I decided to just live with it.

On hot summer days, I experienced engine pinging and it is a light form of engine knock. I also live in low altitude area geographically, so it makes it more tend to knock; due to the high density of oxygen. I checked Google and the engine has 10.6:1 combustion ratio, which is very high for a passenger sedan, so for hot summer road trips, I may go for higher octane gas (91 AKI). Currently, I commute in the morning and evening when days are cool, so I decided to just put 87 octane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a rattling noise from the front passenger side area. It sounded like a hollow metal rattling noise as if something is loose in either exhaust or AC ducting in the dash intermittently. When checking tire pressure, I noticed a service person put too much air in my all four tires; were 36-37 psi all around while it should be 33 psi. I reduced the tire pressure to factory specification (at 33 psi), and test drove about 100 miles. The problem went away and has not been encountered ever since.
My vehicle is 2020 Sentra SR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My vehicle is 2020 Sentra SR.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts