The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
lol...If you need a walk through you should not be installing pistons. Have you a clue at what's at hand? That's a pretty big job buddy!

·
22,052 Posts
- Wait for engine to cool down.
- Open hood and remove valve cover.
- There are 4 piston covers. 1 bolt on each piston cover.
- Remove the piston cover...do 1 at a time.
- You'll need to spray some WD-40 down into the piston sleeve to help ease the old piston out. Use some pliers to grab the old piston if you have to.
- Take out the old piston and set aside.
- Posistion the new piston in the same direction as the old one, and slowly ease the piston in.
- Once it slides in, move on to the next piston.
- Once all 4 are in place, replace the piston covers, then replace the valve cover.
- The new pistons will require more lubrication, so you'll need to add an extra 3-4 quarts of oil to the car.
- Add the oil, run it for about 15-20 minutes, then you can drain the extra oil out.
- There you go, now go race.

·
Lite Brite Disposal Tech
1,724 Posts
Peterson said:
- Open hood and remove valve cover.
- There are 4 piston covers. 1 bolt on each piston cover.
- Remove the piston cover...do 1 at a time.
- You'll need to spray some WD-40 down into the piston sleeve to help ease the old piston out. Use some pliers to grab the old piston if you have to.
- Take out the old piston and set aside.
- Posistion the new piston in the same direction as the old one, and slowly ease the piston in.
- Once it slides in, move on to the next piston.
- Once all 4 are in place, replace the piston covers, then replace the valve cover.
- The new pistons will require more lubrication, so you'll need to add an extra 3-4 quarts of oil to the car.
- Add the oil, run it for about 15-20 minutes, then you can drain the extra oil out.
- There you go, now go race.
ROFL:D

·
altima/dsm lover4life
1,511 Posts
Pete you make it seem like its a cake walk i think alot of steps were skipped in the process of replacing the pistons. Barrings,rod bolts,wrist pins install. If this guy needs a walk through of how to replace the pistons then he sure needs to know about all this other stuff.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
a better way to do it is from the bottom, it's a lot faster but you need a lift to do it. this involves removing the axles, unbolting the tranny, pull the oil pan, pull the oil pump, pull the crank with the pistons and rods attatched, pull off the pistons, replace em and reverse all the steps. and no this is not as easy as it sounds, this is pretty complicated, and if you need a specific walk through, dont try it.

·
Lite Brite Disposal Tech
1,724 Posts
Peterson said:
Heheh my favorite part

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Man , you guys are gona have these guys pulling there engines all appart ..... You have to remove the head , you have to remove all of the oil pan stuff , remove rod and piston assy. have pistions fitted to rods and have pin bushings honed out , hone cylinders, use special tool to compress rings and reinstall .... Sounds easy huh .... Its not ... It takes alot of practice and is not for the weekend mechanic .... Also if your engine has over 50,000 miles it should be bored and oversized pistons used ...That means the engine has to come out of the car !!!! And dont forget new rod and main bearings , gaskets Etc. .....It took me well over 15 hours to do mine , and I have done a ton of engine rebuilds !!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts