The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the "county" now with smaller mountains, we get a lot of snow here.
I have a 45 minute commute and I'm thinking about canning my 00 accord sedan for a Jepp Liberty. Not too sure if it is a good idea because I'm not familar with the Liberty, but I like the way it looks.
Any thoughts or comments? I want to get a used SUV...something with relativly low miles and under 15k.

·
Just another ricer
2,177 Posts
they seem to small to me. When I was looking at the Ram, I sat in one and it just seemed tight. Maybe look into a Grand Cherokee

·
Steelie Crew Member #001
1,106 Posts
We had a Liberty Renagade 2003... had no problems at all.. got that stolen and now we got a Liberty limited CRD Diesel 2006..

They are both awesome.. They don`t offer the luxury of the bigger SUV`s.. But it does everything good.. We tow alot too! 4x4 is great

IF I had to think of something is the foot room in the front passenager side.. yuck! thats all I have to say... Try and get the renagade if you can... the 4 flood lights are money!

·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like the looks and I hope they are rugged in the snow.
Also, I have a daily 70 mile round trip commute...The only thing I worry about
is reliability and most importantly MPG....

I would love to get a renagade :D

·
4,020 Posts
The Liberty's are horrible in crashes, handle poorly and over all are not that good of a vehicle when it comes to reliability.

I live in a city that has a Chrysler drive train manufacturing facility, so a quite a few of my friends have Chyrsler vehicles. Those with Liberty's are not very fond of them.

I would find a Grand Cherokee if I were you. The MPG difference between the Grand Cherokee I6 and the Liberty is neglible.

·
Fear me, For I am a Demon
730 Posts
JLewisinSyr said:
The Liberty's are horrible in crashes, handle poorly and over all are not that good of a vehicle when it comes to reliability.

I live in a city that has a Chrysler drive train manufacturing facility, so a quite a few of my friends have Chyrsler vehicles. Those with Liberty's are not very fond of them.

I would find a Grand Cherokee if I were you. The MPG difference between the Grand Cherokee I6 and the Liberty is neglible.
yep, i was gonna say the same thing, they r nice and quick and handle alright... it is a suv after all....orrrrrr u could get a subie.. maybe a forrester?

·
its all over...
579 Posts
Liberty isnt really that good for snow! My friend has one he uses his acura legend in the snow cuz he claims it handles better...

It's horrible in crashes btw.

Edit.

Forces on the head when the dummy moved into the airbag were moderately high in the second test, indicating the possibility of head injuries.
Overall = Marginal
:dunno:

·
4,020 Posts
Oh, and if you decide to get a used Grand Cherokee...you can buy mine...2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has I6 with 13k miles, 4WD, PW, PL, Cruise, AM/FM/CD/Cass, Fog Lights, Roof Rack Cross Bars and Cargo Net.

$18,000 (Average Private Party in Good Condition from 2 Resources - Edmunds and KBB and Trade in From NADA)

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Get a used grand cherokee. You can get a 2004 with the I6 (which is a very proven engine) for around $17-$20K asking used. There are a TON of them (I think they are lease returns). Friend just picked up a 2004 "certified" one from a dealer with 18K miles on it for $16,500 (the negotiated price).

The liberty will get you around 13-14 mpg from what I've heard, which is worse than the I6 grand grand cherokee which will get you about 16-18, and the Grand is much more vehicle for the money. If your going to 4 wheel, the 2004 Grand still had a front solid axel vs the liberty's IFS.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
ChickenWing said:
just get a supercharged xterra.
bingo... was going to say that. much more reliable than any domestic crap. laughing at people who said ford exploder; and daimler-chrysler products.

·
Fear me, For I am a Demon
730 Posts
Decoy said:
bingo... was going to say that. much more reliable than any domestic crap. laughing at people who said ford exploder; and daimler-chrysler products.
grand cherokees r FAR from crap

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Get an AWD wagon like a used A6 or Legacy Outback.

Frankly a long commute in a snowy region is not a very good reason to get an SUV...you can outperform many an SUV in the snow with a basic fwd car and a set of blizzaks. I don't have any issues with either the Altima or the Celica until the snow on the road gets over 15" deep and as much is going over the hood as under the car. I live up in the hills in New England.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts