The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay, i bought the damn thing on saturday, sunday morning it won't start. figures.

anyway, at first the engine cranked over but wouldn't start so i jumped it and got her running. put it in the garage to charge the battery for a while. after a few hours, i tried to start it and it won't even turn over now. i disconnected the battery and hooked the car up to another battery. still won't turn over. i can hear the fuel pump, i didn't see any blown fuses (checked the fuse box between the battery and driver side fender). i don't know what's wrong.

i got this from carpoint: "An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the Distributor (Crank Angle Sensor), and a periodic problem is failure of the Ignition Power Transistor (PT). Either one of these failures may prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Crank Angle Sensor is estimated at $419.35 for parts and $52.00 for labor.The cost to repair the PT is estimated at $88.62 for parts and $26.00 for labor. "

can anyone tell me how to check these? i don't have the factory service manual yet.

does anyone have any other suggestions as to what i should check?

fwiw, i did stop at circuit city on the way home from a dealer to buy a stereo. i put in it last night without any problems. i grounded it to the frame of the car, and didn't hook up the antenna. i'm not sure this is related at all, but maybe it will help someone. also, i took it back out, and it still won't start.

·
Registered
475 Posts
check to see if you have power to the starter......you said it wont even turn over now?.....not cranking has nothing to do with the crank angle sensor. Try applying power directly to the starter and see if it cranks, The distributor in our cars is sometimes a problem and would cause it not to fire. Are the relays, main fuses good? Check and see if they put the radio in right, hell take it out, they might have cut some wires in the dash that would cause problems.....Id be selling the car soon If i were you, shit these problems come up only a day after......just think of what else will go wrong in time

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would check the alternator too...maybe your battery isnt getting charged and just draining out...might not be the problem though but it couldnt hurt to check

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alchemist said:
check to see if you have power to the starter......you said it wont even turn over now?.....not cranking has nothing to do with the crank angle sensor. Try applying power directly to the starter and see if it cranks, The distributor in our cars is sometimes a problem and would cause it not to fire. Are the relays, main fuses good? Check and see if they put the radio in right, hell take it out, they might have cut some wires in the dash that would cause problems.....Id be selling the car soon If i were you, shit these problems come up only a day after......just think of what else will go wrong in time
well, i think i've narrowed the problem down to the starter solenoid. there's power at the input to the solenoid, and when the solenoid is engaged, there should be power to the starter motor. i checked the voltage after the solenoid and before the starter and it was very low, less than 1v.

does anyone know if i can just get a replacement solenoid or do i have to buy the whole assembly?

can someone please scan the wiring diagram and related pages of the service manual and email them to me? i would really appreciate it.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
my starter was replaced by original owner around 100k cuz it was failing. I think it's something that fails around 100k for 1st gen altimas. I've seen a few around her talk about it.
Jay

·
Registered
475 Posts
might as well just go and replace the thing from autozone for a reman one with lifetime warr....but the solinoid switch is only like 40-70 bucks 40 for auto, 65 for stick

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alchemist said:
might as well just go and replace the thing from autozone for a reman one with lifetime warr....but the solinoid switch is only like 40-70 bucks 40 for auto, 65 for stick
i saw the solenoid on carparts.com for about $90. the freakin' starter motor was about $300 for a remanufactured one. anyone know how much they are from courtesy nissan? i am going to try and pull it out tonight and bench test both the starter and the solenoid to be sure that's the problem.

i just find it amazing that used car dealers manage to get the cars to work just long enough to drive them off the lot.

dan
95 supra tt that runs like hell.
busted 93 altima.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts