The Nissan Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! So here's the deal. A week ago I purchased a black on black 1997 Maxima SE. Full trim with al the goodies (heated seats, sunroof, Bose, etc. etc. etc.) and 150xxx miles. I bought it because I needed a car ASAP and that's what was available in my price range. When I was first told about it, it only had a master cylinder issue so I told them to replace it. They did and thankfully it's great now. HOWEVER, after purchase and driving it for a week or so (and taking it to inspect...which it failed) I've discovered a bunch of issues. I'm gonna list them and see if anyone has any tips or tricks for dealing with these issues.

1. Cracked radiator - actually I fixed that already. Thanks, JB Weld!
2. Dead hood lifts - already ordered a replacement
3. Transmission hangs for a second before it shifts - tranny fluid looks dirty...should I flush it? Might that be the issue?
4. Code P1400 - I've found all the threads on this site about that code...I'm gonna need some luck with that one!
5. Brakes - Apparently the pads AND rotors all need to be changed. The pads are thin and the rotors aren't perfectly smooth but they're not by any means shot. Is a brake job on this Maxima your typical brake job or is there anything special I should know?
6. I was told that there's a leak in my power steering system. Anyone have luck with those power steering fluid/stop leak mixes?

I know there's more but I can't think of it right now. Otherwise the car is great. Engine is fantastic, all the buttons and features work except for the driver's side heated seat button.

Anything else that I should know about these things so I can feel like I know what I'm talking about as I go about my business on this site?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,915 Posts
I'd say you are good to go other than the dirty tranny fluid which is a bit worrisome. I would absolutely have that looked at right away before spending too much cash. With any luck a flush, new filter (assuming given vintage) and new fluid and you should be rollin'....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts