The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community

I just wanted to share with y'all that I have a few parts on the way and during the winter break, I'll be busy getting intimate with my car and installing these parts myself. Hope everything goes well. If you have any advice on the installation, please don't hesitate to suggest. Wish me LUCK!!!

PARTS ON THE WAY:
Used AEM CAI from @[email protected]
Dryflow intake
RL y-pipe
Motor Mounts
Axxtion STS
NWP VIAS Block Plate Kit

If there are other parts that compliment these parts, please let me know. Some of these parts, I have no idea what it does (block plate kit) but a lot of threads suggest it as a "must have".

I'm pretty content with the suspension. Living in SF with all the hills and crappy roads, I just see my car lowered as a liability. I feel like the Magnaflow Catback system would be too loud for me. So I'm only replacing the y-pipe. Headers are expensive as hell and don't want the CEL issue.

Should I recalibrate the ECU?

Is the throttle body spacer at NWP worth the purchase? What does it do? It separates heat from the throttle body? Can anyone with more experience on this chime in? I've done some research but it doesn't explain all that much...unless separating heat is the only thing. Characteristics, etc. would be appreciated.

Excited,

Thanks!!!! :grin

·
Super Moderator
2,585 Posts
Don't do the nwp TB spacer, do the whole 5-piece kit. It's well worth the investment and you'll be part of the cool whistle club. There is an immediate, noticeable difference in performance after installing the thermal spacers. Instead of your UIM being too hot to touch, you can touch it, showing that the incoming air won't heat up as much before it gets to the cylinders.

If you can swing it, the RL high flow cats is a great investment also. They flow TONS better than OEM and it's another noticeable difference. They're a Magnaflow cat, so register as soon as you get them for the warranty. I forgot about it and had an issue a couple years later. I am on of an extremely few who had troubles, so I ended up hollowing my cats. The flow between high flow and hollow is not a noticeable difference.

Welcome to the club Peter.

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @Penguinchit! thank you for the warm welcome.

I love your suggestions but the high-flow pre cats are too rich for my blood.

The 5pc Phenolic Thermal Intake Spacer Kit? It's $225. I need more convincing for me to buy it. Can you speak more on it? I called NWP and he told me how the phenolic piece is an insulator which traps heat, away from the throttle body or intake manifold. But aside from HP gains, what are the characteristics of the car after the installation. Keep in mind, I live in SF where the weather never gets hotter than 70. I think it'd make sense if I lived in desert heat, but do you think it's necessary in the Bay Area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would say from personal experience that adding full length headers, and a 3" exhaust all the way out is one of the best things you can do as the factory exhaust is very poorly made from a performance standpoint.

Next, and best mod you can make, again IMO is to buy an uprev. Doing this will give you room to grow in the future, not to mention you can get rid of some of the factory crap like "limp" mode, and on-board security system, and get rid of CELs that pop up after you mod, or delete something [ie egr valve, codes from o2 sensors on headers].

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
If I recall correctly, Cali has emissions testing/inspections, so...

Since you already have these:
CAI
RL y-pipe
Motor Mounts
Axxtion STS
NWP VIAS Block Plate Kit

In order of importance and performance added:

1. Performance Summer Tires

Since you already have fairly lightweight forged wheels (I'm assuming you still have the factory SE-R snowflake wheels), tires should be next on the list. If you're not on those wheels, a lightweight wheel option would be recommended. A piece of advice, figure out the tire you want to run, and then get a wheel that is optimal to run that tire. If it's a daily driver, I'd suggest sticking with the "Max Performance Summer" category instead of the "Extreme Performance Summer" category. One of the top three would be good to choose from - the venerable Michelin Pilot Super Sport (best performance and longevity in the class, but pricey), the exceptional Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (near-Michelin performance, but heavy), or the comfortable Continental Extreme Contact DW (Near Michelin performance, but "squishy"). As long as you're not in Northern Cali, you should be good with those three options all year long.

2. RL HFPC's

I agree with Chris (Penguinchit) on this. Completely worth the investment, as the OEM precats are known failure points and can/will completely wreck your engine. If you think these are pricey, wait until you get the bill for a new motor. Small price to pay for peace of mind on this platform. You can't go to headers due to inspections, so these are the next best thing. Research the issue with the OEM precats and their associated costs, and I'm confident you'll see the bargain value for the RL's.

3. NWP Phenolic Spacers

Proven benefits (as with all of NWP's options), and you don't need to live in a hot climate to see the difference. Your engine operates at 215*-ish no matter where you live, and that heat transfers from the engine block to the intake manifold. If $225 is too much for you, Aaron makes an economy kit that is less expensive and works great if you don't intend to disassemble/reassemble the intake manifold a bunch of times. At a minimum, the 3-piece kit is worth it - economy or normal.

4. 3" Exhaust Pipe

This would replace the exhaust pipe starting where the y-pipe comes together from the two sides of the motor (at the "Y" joint in the y-pipe) and goes back to the "Y" break-off for the dual mufflers. If you have a local exhaust shop do it, it's not all that expensive, and it's worthwhile for your intake setup. The VQ puts out more and more power as it can breathe and exhaust better. If you're curious, M-train has a great picture in his build thread.

5. Tune (UpRev)

If you can find this for a deal (typically in the classifieds for $200-$400 instead of $550 directly from UpRev), there are options for e-tunes between $50 each and $150 for unlimited tunes to get it right. With the parts you have listed above, I wouldn't suggest this. If you go with all the suggestions above, you'll sincerely benefit from a tune and the investment cost would eventually be returned to you in better MPG and less wear/tear on engine components.

Those are the bigger benefit options, based on what you've said about your parts list and suspension needs. If you change your mind and want to talk suspension, let us know.

Keep in mind we also haven't discussed 3.5"/4.0" intake, injectors, cams, forged bottom ends, superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous, brakes, weight reduction, aero, cooling, transmission, external lighting, interior/exterior appearance, etc. There's a lot of information out on this forum and its brother/sister forums.

:welcome:

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate all the input that you all have put into this thread. I've been really thinking about what you've said about the pre-cats and the 5-piece spacer. i will continue to think about those mods, especially because they both seem really practical and healthy for the longevity of the car. After @BPuff57 mentioned tires, that's also something I want to put importance into because it really can be a difference in losing control of the car and not. Funny part of your response is that I am in nor cal. Your explanation of each part, its importance and the effort put into the response was well noted. Thank you

As of the immediate future, I'm waiting for the parts in the mail and setting up my garage, and driveway to be an ideal place to plug and chug these parts! I'm pretty excited. Any advice on installation of these parts are most welcomed.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I really appreciate all the input that you all have put into this thread. I've been really thinking about what you've said about the pre-cats and the 5-piece spacer. i will continue to think about those mods, especially because they both seem really practical and healthy for the longevity of the car. After @BPuff57 mentioned tires, that's also something I want to put importance into because it really can be a difference in losing control of the car and not. Funny part of your response is that I am in nor cal. Your explanation of each part, its importance and the effort put into the response was well noted. Thank you

As of the immediate future, I'm waiting for the parts in the mail and setting up my garage, and driveway to be an ideal place to plug and chug these parts! I'm pretty excited. Any advice on installation of these parts are most welcomed.
Pics or it never happened... :grin

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say from personal experience that adding full length headers, and a 3" exhaust all the way out is one of the best things you can do as the factory exhaust is very poorly made from a performance standpoint.

Next, and best mod you can make, again IMO is to buy an uprev. Doing this will give you room to grow in the future, not to mention you can get rid of some of the factory crap like "limp" mode, and on-board security system, and get rid of CELs that pop up after you mod, or delete something [ie egr valve, codes from o2 sensors on headers].

Alright. So apparently my check engine light came on yesterday and I took it to a family-friend mechanic and he said I'm getting an Egr system code. So I remembered @M-train had mentioned this earlier and I did a search and people are saying that it's related to hi-flow pre cats. What's the deal? Should I just replace the Egr valve? Get the RL HFPC, or get a UPREV tuning? Or all three?!?! Please help.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Alright. So apparently my check engine light came on yesterday and I took it to a family-friend mechanic and he said I'm getting an Egr system code. So I remembered @M-train had mentioned this earlier and I did a search and people are saying that it's related to hi-flow pre cats. What's the deal? Should I just replace the Egr valve? Get the RL HFPC, or get a UPREV tuning? Or all three?!?! Please help.
Not sure what you want to do, but I deleted the whole system and installed the resistor to fool the ECU into thinking that the system still works. No CE light for me... An UpRev tune could also remove the code, but why keep the system in?

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure what you want to do, but I deleted the whole system and installed the resistor to fool the ECU into thinking that the system still works. No CE light for me... An UpRev tune could also remove the code, but why keep the system in?
Yeah. Saw numerous threads about the delete. Will I pass smog if I did delete or "trick" the ecu? It doesn't sound like a bad idea...just worried about passing smog.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Yeah. Saw numerous threads about the delete. Will I pass smog if I did delete or "trick" the ecu? It doesn't sound like a bad idea...just worried about passing smog.
Probably depends on whether they do a visual inspection or a sniffer...

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably depends on whether they do a visual inspection or a sniffer...
No I don't think they do. Depends on where I go but never had I had someone really take a good look around my car.

As for the test itself, it would pass?? California has some pretty strict emissions laws.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
No I don't think they do. Depends on where I go but never had I had someone really take a good look around my car.

As for the test itself, it would pass?? California has some pretty strict emissions laws.
Not sure... we don't have any emissions testing in Michigan.

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure... we don't have any emissions testing in Michigan.
Hmmmm...decisions decisions. I think I'm gonna call nwp. They might know since they sell the Egr block plate. And I want the tracking number for my order ?
As always, thank you for your input.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Hmmmm...decisions decisions. I think I'm gonna call nwp. They might know since they sell the Egr block plate. And I want the tracking number for my order ?
As always, thank you for your input.
Anytime, Sir. As a side note, I have the NWP EGR plate, and it's great. :grin

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anytime, Sir. As a side note, I have the NWP EGR plate, and it's great. :grin
Aaron from NWP says: "Without a functioning EGR system in your 05 Altima, you will probably not pass emissions in your state. I would not recommend to delete your EGR system. This EGR Block Plate Kit is intended for those that have done an engine swap with the 04-06 Maxima or 05-06 Altima VQ35DE engine and are using a non-EGR ECM such as the 95-99 or 02-03 Maxima ECM..

At this time, this kit is not intended to eliminate the EGR system on a street driven 04-06 Maxima or 05-06 Altima, since that will decreases your chances of passing emissions as well as give you a check engine light. So no EGR block plug will be included for the RH exhaust manifold."

so basically it's a no go and I gotta get it fixed. another 2-3 bills. :crying

In other news, I've decided to order the RL HFPC as you've suggested. I think it's worth the investment because everyone, including you guys, had great reviews about them. @Penguinchit I shall register them once they're in my hands.

More questions: should I be replacing spark plugs as I install the HFPC? http://www.************.net/diy-cats-and-spark-plugs-noob-t3928.html?t=3928
should I replace the o2 sensors as I'm installing the y-pipe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHhNW1dMRwQ (I know it's a Maxima)
I'm not sure what the life is on anything on this car as I got it this past summer. There hasn't been any issues other than the aforementioned EGR (even with that, I don't feel a difference :dunno:)

113k miles

Thanks

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
I did plugs when I installed my spacers and headers. Intake manifold was off, so why not. I did mine at 80k miles, so I'd recommend swapping plugs while you're in there.

O2's... If you can't get them off the old ypipe, sure. If they aren't working, sure. Otherwise, I'd use the old ones. That's me, though.

·
GoDodgers!
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 50 Posts