CAI for 3.5 is available at

Place Racing Inc.
Address: 1016 West Gladstone Azusa, CA 91702
Phone: (626) 334-3345

$199 for blue or red
$206 for silver

--------------------------------------------------------------
NO CUTTING INVOLVED :rolleyes: (maybe)

I just got off the phone with Gil from Place Racing. I ordered a silver clear coat CAI for $220 including shipping (I am in Virginia) .
He did say that Triflow can get a Group Buy going if he can get 20 people together by the end of March for 20% off. I didn't want to wait. Compared to a K&N FIPK it is a good deal at $200.

The silver CAI intake is $206 since they put a clear coat on it. They do this because the silver tends to fade quickly. They also have blue and red. They are just ending a silver production run of six intakes and have 3 orders including mine. They are selling out of them as they make them. The red or blue are $199.

Their web site is supposed to be back up in about 2 months. I asked about the Monster Flow filter and he said that they didn't want to change from K&N, but Monster Flow asked them to try it out and they found out that they worked really well. He said they had found out that the K&N filter oil causes problems on some MAF sensors because they coat parts of the sensor and distort readings causing a loss in power. He couldn't tell me what the life of the Monster Flow filter is but MF makes them in house.

He has some PDF's of dyno runs that he is going to send me.
I should be getting the mine in about two weeks.:cool:

Their phone number is 626-334-3345

·
Banned
0 Posts
That's tight. So you're saying its $180 if I get in with the group buy. Damn, it's tempting but I'm not sure if I can get that much by the end of this.

BTW where do you live in VA? I'm up in Fairfax... I haven't seen too many Altimas around, and most of the ones I see are driven by moms and old people...

·
Registered
850 Posts
timjkarp said:
NO CUTTING INVOLVED:D

Errrr... just got off the phone with them too and there IS cutting involved.

It comes with a template. You will need to enlarge an existing hole where the resonator is. Although they said it was really easy to cut, there will be some cuting involved!!!!

All that said, I'm stil going to be ordering the CAI in the morning.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
hmm....so what happens when the Monster filter get dirty? Throw it out and buy another? That's one of the best things about K&N: wash, rinse, oil, and it's good as new. Dunno about the oil thing, but it makes sense. I've never heard of anybody having problems w/the Oil...if it were true, then nobody would buy K&N, Stillen, or JWT...and we all know that them 3 are doing very very very well in the nissan community, among others.
Jae

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,809 Posts
20% off of 220

176.00 I am assuming this is the final price on a group buy????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Gil told me there wasn't any involved. Who did you talk to? I think Triflow said there wasn't any either. Where did they say you have to cut? In Triflow's pics the hole in the fenderwell looks like the original hole. I took my resonator out and saw the same hole.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
OhTwoAltimaSE said:
No group buy unless we all get together...

The Foam filters are washable and oilable (is that a word?) No replacement necessary, unless they start to break apart.
are you describing k&n or mf?
http://www.monsterflow.com/mfdescriptions/turbulencedestroyers.html
"Airfoil Turbulence Destroyers"...couldn't they think of a better name? Destroyers sounds so kiddy-like.
Which filter comes w/the CAI: Street, Sport, or Race?
At some point, the filter's gonna get dirty. If it doesn't, imagine all the crap that's gonna go straight through and into your engine. If it can be washed and oiled, then it's no better than K&N. Either way, it's not enuf facts to get me to change from tried/true K&N.
Jae

·
Registered
850 Posts
timjkarp said:

Gil told me there wasn't any involved. Who did you talk to? I think Triflow said there wasn't any either. Where did they say you have to cut? In Triflow's pics the hole in the fenderwell looks like the original hole. I took my resonator out and saw the same hole.
I didn't catch his name. He said the hole that is where the resonator is located it too small. It comes with a template, but hey, I don't know, just typing what he said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fatboy said:
That's tight. So you're saying its $180 if I get in with the group buy. Damn, it's tempting but I'm not sure if I can get that much by the end of this.

BTW where do you live in VA? I'm up in Fairfax... I haven't seen too many Altimas around, and most of the ones I see are driven by moms and old people...
-----------

I live down Route 50 (near I495- Falls Church HS). If you know where to get good deal on customizing the new Alty please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes the hole is that big. Take out your air box/ resonator as I have done (cheap CAI with noticable difference) and you will see that the hole is the same as in Triflow's pics. Which you can get at http://home.attbi.com/~itsok120/PlaceRacingCAIPack.zip
At least you gotta give Triflow credit for posting pictures. I asked Place Racing for any info and they didn't have any to give.

Also I got confirmation from Gil at Place Racing.

Thanks Tim for reminding me about the .pdf. On the cutting, I am sure that no cutting is required, it is the only application that does not require cutting.

Honda Catalog $3.00: https://www.placeracing.com/Honda.asp
Nissan Catalog Free: https://www.placeracing.com/Nissan.asp

Gilbert V. Garcia
Research & Development
Place Racing Inc.
1016 W Gladstone St.
Azusa, Calif. 91702
(626)334-3345 Plant
(626)334-3225 Fax

The PDF he is referring to is dyno runs comparing: no filter, cotton mesh, and monster flow. They show about 3 hp increase between K&N and Monster Flow. No filter has the least power. I will try to put the PDF somewhere where people can see it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Looking at Triflow's new pictures, it looks like he needed to cut some plasitc, just below the filter. Plasitc, I'll cut anytime. Metal was my concern.

I'm ordering the CAI in a few minutes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On Triflow's web site he says that cutting is OPTIONAL to let more air in. Can we put that to rest now????? :rolleyes:

Place Racing is going to send me a page maker file of the installation instructions. They say faxing doesn't work so well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I didn't see any new pics. In the one labeled lsidecai, everything looks stock to me. The tape on the white plastic wire loom is stock.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.