The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my new rims and tires this weekend. The 18" Konig Tantrums with 235/50/18 BF Goodrich tires. I haven't really experienced any rubbing yet.

This is the first new set of rims and tires. They are wider and slightly taller than stock, but not by much.

I was just wondering if the ride of the car is supposed to change a lot or a little. The steering wheel shakes a little bit at higher speeds (probably because of balancing?????). I could get that checked out, but the guys at discount tires sent me the rims and tires mounted and balanced. Sometimes it feels as if the car pulls to the left a little as if the steering wheel was turned just a little. Is this because of the increase in tire to ground surface.

What to you guys recommend I do. Should I take it to the dealer to fix it for me. (Remember these are aftermarket parts, not the original factory parts they are used to.)

Another question..since I just put aftermarket parts on..can this void my warranty on certain parts of the car??

Thanks guys

http://www.altimas.net/registry/vehicles.php?vehicleid=1338

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I presume you bought them from Discount Tire Direct.
If so, just take your invoice/receipt to any Discount Tire
Outlet in your area and have them A) Re-balance them and/or
B) Order a set of hub-centric rings for your wheels.

Just because they balanced them at the warehouse before
they sent them to you does'nt mean it was done right.
Remember, a volume retailer like Discount Tire is interested
in getting them out the door as quickly as possible and on to
the next customer...

Don't waste your time taking them to the dearlership. They
won't help you with aftermaket wheels/rims.

Good Luck...!

·
The Reverend
413 Posts
Ditto on the above. Also keep in mind that your BFG's mostly have a stiffer carcuss and sidewalls. This will make the ride feel more sensitive to bumps and vibration from the road.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think they have any disocunt tire outlets in New York. If they do I haven't seen one.
What are the hub-centric rings and what do they do for the tires and rims

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
tkd1979 said:
What are the hub-centric rings and what do they do for the tires and rims
The hub rings sole responsibility is to take up the space between the center bore of the wheel and the hub of the car. For example: the center bore of all 4x100mm and 5x100mm wheels is 64mm. However, the hub diameter of the Honda is 56.1mm. Therefore to take up the space between 64mm and 56.1mm a hub ring is used.

All wheels are classified as being either "Hub Centric", or "Lug Centric." The term Centric refers to the way a wheel is centered. In other words a hub centric wheel centers on the hub of the car, if you put the wheel on the car without lug nuts the wheel would be perfectly centered. On a lug centric wheel, the wheels are centered by the lugs as they are tightened down. Manufacturers build wheels lug centric to allow the wheel to fit a wider selection of vehicles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explanation...I gotta check it out. Do you think the guys at Discount Tire Direct would have that info? I think I might give them a call.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
tkd1979 said:
Thanks for the explanation...I gotta check it out. Do you think the guys at Discount Tire Direct would have that info? I think I might give them a call.
Yes, they should.

It surprises me that Discount
didn't just give you a set
with the purchase of your wheel/tire
package. Most companies will do that
as a customer courtesy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts