The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Behold the Power of HID!!
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but....if all Jim Wolf does with your ECU is re-program the Air/Fuel Ratios...couldnt you just buy the Apexi S-AFC and program the Air/Fuel Ratio yourself? I was reading up on this and an Apexi Gauge would look a hella of alot nicer in my car then a new ECU...which u cant see!

·
founding father
1,709 Posts
the afc isn't worth it really if you haven't done everything else and unless you can get it to a dyno to be tuned with. the ECU does more than remapping the air/fuel ratios. i'd do the ecu before the AFC any day you get much more out of the ECU then the AFC

·
donor cycle
8,475 Posts
JWT does more than just a/f ratios, raises rev limit for one, and I am pretty sure the apexi is useless without a dyno tuning session.

·
donor cycle
8,475 Posts
dammit donnie beat me :D

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn...you guys goin for the quickest response...betta service here then most businesses!! Thanks Donnie and Rick. So an upgraded ECu and S-AFC isn't redundant?

·
altima/dsm lover4life
183 Posts
My opinion

Hey look in all honesty I don't know shit about the Jim wolf Ecu so I can't really comment on if its better than the AFC or not. But I will tell you this that I just got my S-afc the other day installed and tuned it with some help and I feel a big difference in pickup. And I'm only just getting started. And it looks damn good underneith my Kenwood CD and TApe player. The ladies love it.

But decide whats best for you but I tell you that either way I don't think you'll waist your money b/c when you upgrade your afc will come along for the ride and unless you have tons of money to spend it will be for a long ride.

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
rick and donnie are right. i'd go with the ecu. Raises rev limiter, adjust air/fuel, and retards timing as needed. True, it costs a little more, but i think it's worth it.

BTW, you don't want to do the ecu til every bolt on is done. Otherwise, you'll have to send it back and have them update it, b/c it's custom done to your car.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the point of raising the Rev limiter if Max power on our engines comes at 5500 RPM?? Ill doubt that Ill get the AFC over the ECU...just thought that it would be a good intermidiary MOD from now till then.

·
H.N.I.C.
2,666 Posts
actually....
u should do wateva u are gonna do to the engine and drive train b4 u get the ECU.....
the ECU should be like the last mod u get for awhile.....
'cause as stated b4...
each ecu is made wit your mods in mind....
if u took SHAWN's ECU n put it in Peterson's alty it might do alright..
cause peterson is a good ways along in mods like VK n Shawn..
but in like mine, or someone like Stick's ride, the ECU would be like WTF??...
cause we ain't got the pulley, header, clutch(mine's an auto anywayz :( , but I'm gettin the VB in TQ :) ), or alot of the other stuff...

so it might be good to work on the engine some more..
then u can get more out of the S-AFC (it's a good idea to have an air fuel ratio meter to tune it)..
then the ECU...
so if u do some other stuff..
JWT wouldn't have to remap your ECU as much...

help this long ass post helped some........

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually I was talking with Adam at Stillen and he said that bolt-on Mods. had really no affect on how JWT reprograms your ecu, he said the only option that had to be figured in was if you get a turbo or some major engine work then you would have to wait to get the turbo before reprogramming the ecu. Adam said the ECU was smart enough to pick up on the addition of the bolt-ons...those are his words not mine...;) Im jus trying to figure some sort of timeplan here...so it can coincide with when i got the loot!! Thanx for everyone's help! :D

·
Liquid-Ink Venom Kit!
783 Posts
They are supposed to make them for 2nd gens right?

Im wondering...i mean i have some stuff to do first but iv'e been hearing that JWT is making the chips for the OBDII's. Besides that part-waiting time (as usual).....are the ecu more noticiable in automatics?.....that is what i have and it needs a kick in the ass.

Oh MeeTsenPu, where did you get mandrel bending done?....just wondering, and the torque converter is a good mod right? Even though it is expensive.

Im trying to figue out how far I should go with my ride.
Im starting to get bitched at for putting to much money into it. A Hobby is a hobby I say!
Thanks

·
6,859 Posts
Re: They are supposed to make them for 2nd gens right?

AlienAlt said:

Im staring to get bitched at for putting to much money into it.
I've always been bitched at about this.

If you want I can give you the name of the shop Orlando had his done at. They kinda shady over there though.

Meetsenpu had his stuff done done in Jersey. Pretty far down also. I think i remember him saying exit 7 on the NJTP.

·
Liquid-Ink Venom Kit!
783 Posts
Re: Re: They are supposed to make them for 2nd gens right?

mrdeucie said:

I've always been bitched at about this.

If you want I can give you the name of the shop Orlando had his done at. They kinda shady over there though.

Meetsenpu had his stuff done done in Jersey. Pretty far down also. I think i remember him saying exit 7 on the NJTP.
Ack....i don't feel like taking a trip...especially all lowered like i am.

im gonna see what there is around here...

·
No more pomegranite boobs
1,027 Posts
1fastaltima said:
rick and donnie are right. i'd go with the ecu. Raises rev limiter, adjust air/fuel, and retards timing as needed.
not trying to flame, but why would you want to Retard your timing? did you mean advance?
or you just mean it is variable in both directions so it will retard timing upon ping/too much advancement?

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
RiceHead said:

not trying to flame, but why would you want to Retard your timing? did you mean advance?
or you just mean it is variable in both directions so it will retard timing upon ping/too much advancement?
it adjusts as needed. Up and/or down

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah i got my exaust done at a performance exaust shop near Trenton...The Anthrax Capital! But yeah...every Mod I listed was worth the money spent! Some are just more affordable then others!

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can anyone answer my question or give me some more ifo about my last post on the first page of this thread???

·
Registered
22 Posts
MeeTsenPu Quick question how much did they charge for the Mandrel bending?

But on the subject definately get the ECU over the AFC. From peoples experiences and what I have read it will benifit you more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts