The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably been asked before but with the new board might as well start it to become a searchable topic later...

when was the KA introduced? and in what car/truck? and are there non-U.S. spec KA's?

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
All i know is the earliest version i have seen was the KA24D in a 86 nissan PU, but that doesnt mean it was the first one, just the first one i have seen.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1fastaltima said:
what automobile?
----Pick up truck

Any JDM models of the KA?
----Negative. They had SR20DE's and DET's

so where are KA engines built?

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Ry said:

so where are KA engines built?
not sure, but i do know that the Altimas are made in Symerna, Tennessee. I don't know if the engines are shipped over here or if they are made here as well. But the Altimas are assembled here in the States.

That's why there are no JDM KA's. I think the KA is made here. And they use SR20's over there in Japan.

·
I'm kinda a big deal
1,103 Posts
call me an idiot for asking this but if they use the sr20 in the altimas over in Japan, can we have one put into our cars? and if so why hasn't anyone does this yet? or have they?

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Luv2Surf247 said:
call me an idiot for asking this but if they use the sr20 in the altimas over in Japan, can we have one put into our cars? and if so why hasn't anyone does this yet? or have they?
Yes it's possible, but it's not as easy as Hondas. It takes more modifying and money. It's not like Lego's (Honda). It has been done before, but by many people. It's also not really worth it unless it's the SR20DET or the SR20DE with an after market turbo.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the engine is made in Japan. All they do in Tennessee is assemble cars from shipped components.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Capitalist said:
I'm pretty sure that the engine is made in Japan. All they do in Tennessee is assemble cars from shipped components.
Actually today's ka engine is made/assembled in decherd tennessee and shipped to smyrna for the altima and frontier

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Capitalist said:
The Altima is defined by the US government as an American car. The rule is that over 78% of a car's parts must originate in the U.S. in order to be defined that way. The KA engines for the Altima have been built in the US starting, I believe, for the 1998 model year.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kenshi said:

The KA engines for the Altima have been built in the US starting, I believe, for the 1998 model year.
so KA only has north american duty right?

·
Proud owner of an 06 SE-R
515 Posts
Ry said:

so KA only has north american duty right?
Nope... i was reading on freshalloy and it turns out if ya look in the "super model matrix", the base model 91-96 bluebird has the KA24DE in it! Oh and also its used in the 93+ Japanese "Largo"... whatever that is.

So, there ya go!:D

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AltimaMan said:

Nope... i was reading on freshalloy and it turns out if ya look in the "super model matrix", the base model 91-96 bluebird has the KA24DE in it! Oh and also its used in the 93+ Japanese "Largo"... whatever that is.

So, there ya go!:D
hmm.. interesting.. what were the specs on those variants of the KA?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first Nissan vehicle available in the U.S. with a KA engine was the 89 240sx. The U.S. trucks didn't get the KA until 90. And yes, the Japanese used the KA in the Bluebird wagon i believe.

·
Bling Bling Player
697 Posts
The Stanza has a KA24E. It was used in the Hardbody pickup and also in the 240SX from 89-90. The Stanza was totally built in Japan, as was the motor. They used the CA18DET and SR20DET in the AWD hot versions of the Bluebird (SSS). The Australian Pintara (also based on Bluebird) used the CA20DE and KA24E as motors.

The reason a SR20DET won't just drop in, is due to the AWD vs. FWD chassis available here and abroad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts