The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
I know that this has been discussed in other threads but I'd figured that I would put this info out anyway for anyone who is new or learning how to do their own oil and filter change. I know that I have learned alot in this forum
and why not pass on some knowlege that I have.
1 . Drive car up on ramps , put car in park, shut off engine, put on emergency
brake and chalk the back wheels with blocks.
2. Get oil drain bucket and put under oilpan and remove bolt 14mm. I use a
creaper board from napa to slide around. Drain all engine oil.
3. Remove oil filter which is located on the passenger side rear of the engine
block, make sure you put oil bucket under to catch oil coming from block and filter.
4. Putoil drain bolt (plug) 14mm back in, put oil around new oil filter rubber
sealer screw oilfilter back on block tighten up but do not over do it. Pour
in your new oil at top of motor, valve cover, screw back in oil filler cap.
5. Start motor make sure there are no leaks and everthing is tight. Drive off
Ramps or lower from Jackstand or what ever method you use. and your done.
I did mine this morning and too me 20 minutes max. I used synthetic oil and
new filter . Cost 20 dollars for synthetic oil and filter. I have been doing this
for all of my cars so I thought a little write up would be helpful. Also our engines take 4 quarts of oil. Check your oil dipstick to make sure your oil
level is full.
Glenn

·
Still Learning....
409 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the great write up, this should be a FAQ!

I do have a question though which stops me doing my own oil changes and thats, how do you dipose of the used Oil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Dreamer1uk and thanks for the complement,
I go to either NAPA or Autozone to buy my oil and they will take back your used oil as long as you keep your receipt from your oil purchase. I either pour it back into the bottles that the oil came in and screw back the caps or I pour the used oil in a 1 gallon milk jug and make sure that the top is sealed well to return. I for extra protection put the bottles or jug back in the plastic bag that I bought the oil & filter in
to bring back. This way you wont get that dirty oil all over your trunk or interior. Try to find a store in your area that takes back used oil, it makes
life much easier !!!!!
Plus I will put it in a box to keep it from tipping over.
Glenn

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
ok; but our engines don't take 4 quarts. they take around 3 5/8 with filter. also put a little new oil in the new filter beforing put it on the engine.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
^ OK I have read that the oil capacities are 4 to 4.1 quarts including filter. I know the Haynes Manual says 4.1 I don't remember what the actual Nissan Manual says.
As long as we don't over or under fill our engines. we'll be ok.
Thanks D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Glenn14 said:
As long as we don't over or under fill our engines. we'll be ok.
I changed my oil today and the oil is slightly higher (a few mm) than the high mark on the dipstick. Should I be concerned?

And thanks for posting that quick how-to.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Still Learning....
409 Posts
Hi,

Hmm, after this great post, i might adventure in changing my own oils :) Now here comes the newbie questions -
What are the good oils to use on the market?
What thickness should i be using on my Alty with 110k miles?
Filters, is there any bad brands to use or are they all universal in quality?

I have always had 5w30 in my car and no idea what that means. I know its a thicker oil and thats it. I also heard that ticker oil in the summer 'thins' out due to the heat as well as it 'thickening' in the winter due to the cold. is this true?

Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dreamer1uk,
A lot of these questions are a matter of people's opinions, I use synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 with either a factory nissan filter or a fram filter. Some people change the oil and only do the filter every other change. You can use Mobile1, Castrol, Penzoil, etc.
Most people and manuals recomend changing oil and filters every 3 months or 3,000 miles. Frequent oil changes is the best preventive maintenance you can do to your engine. Do a search on this topic in this forum, there are some great choices.
Glenn

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
Our engines take 3 5/8 quarts of oil, after doing this over, over, over and over again, that is the correct amount of oil for the engine, 4qts won't hurt, but just know that you are slightly over filling it.........also, use nothing but 5w-30, no matter what the miles are on your speedo, unless you have some modifications to your internals, boosting or running juice, 5w-30 year round is what is required

·
Still Learning....
409 Posts
Hi,

When you add the new oil, how do you know how much your adding in without under/over filling?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Each bottle is 1 quart, and then on the side of the bottle there are onces so on the 4th quart look at the incriments on the side of the bottle . I just use 4 quarts every oil change. I have a 1998. Altima. The manual for my 1998
2nd gen states 4.25 quarts with filter. And I guess 4 quarts with filter for
the 1st gens, I just use 4 quarts every oil change and never had a problem.
Every manual that I have read states 4 quarts or more with filter, that would cover any residual oil left in the engine after draining.
Glenn

·
Nissan Hack
115 Posts
Everywhere I have ever read states that the KA24DE engine in our Altimas has a 4 quart (with filter!) oil capacity.

That said, I won't disagree with the 3 5/8 quarts statement. The reason is that you can't get all of the used oil out of the engine at an oil change. It's not like 4 quarts of oil come out when you take the drain plug and oil filter off. Even after I let the car sit for 20 minutes, some amount of oil stays in the engine, coating surfaces. If you put in 4 quarts even, you are probably over-filling a little. I don't think it is enough to hurt anything, but I'm no engineer. I usually put in 3.5 quarts and run the motor for a second to completely fill the oil filter. Then I add some oil and check the dipstick until I get to full. I always have a little oil left over (in the 4th bottle of oil) and I bet it is about 1/4 to 3/8 of a quart.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
'93 Altima OE manual states 3 3/4 quarts without filter .... so if your doing the filter thats the extra 1/4 qt. .... I always do 4 quarts !!!

Actually the '98 Manual states 4.25 qt with filter 3.875 without filter .....

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ Well put Shawn,
Thats what I have read in every manual that I have including the Haynes. I checked my
Nissan 1998 Manual 4.25 with filter 3.875 qts without.
Glenn

·
Nissan Hack
115 Posts
CHECK THIS OUT - ENGINE OIL CAPACITIES

Straight from the Altima auto manuals; when changing oil:

2000 Altima
Changing Oil Filter: 3 5/8 quarts
Not Changing Oil Filter: 3 3/8 quarts

1998 Altima
Changing Oil Filter: 4 1/4 quarts
Not Changing Oil Filter: 3 7/8 quarts

1996 Altima
Changing Oil Filter: 4 quarts
Not Changing Oil Filter: 3 3/4 quarts

lol - they are all freakin' different

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ Yea that does not make sense since they are all the same engine unless the oil pans
are different. That makes us all correct I guess lol!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alright, I think I need a little help from this forum. I have a very well loved 96 Altima (I call it my beater simply because it is my daily driver not my toy (928 :cool: )). I started doing my own maintanence a little while back. The last oil change I switched to synthetic 5W30. Since then I have noticed a hot oil smell from the enginewhen I pull back in the garage after the car has been running at full temp. It appears that I have a sight oil leak at the cam cover gasket. I have read that switching to synthetic can disolve some of the sludge that builds up around the seals and leaks can result.
My question is do I stick with synthetic or do I need to switch back to dino? I have read conflicting advice re what to do in this situation. Anyone with experience with any of this?
Also I noticed that the haynes manual lists 5W30 oil for year round and 10W40 for summer. Any benifit to switching to a summer oil?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts