The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Altima-heads,

I have some problems with my engine! Here's to hoping you guys who know a lot more about my own car than me can help me.

Before we start with my problem let me tell you I drive a 95 GXE in auto. Now that that's cleared up, my problem:

My car idles funny sometimes. If I'm just sitting at a red light in D with my foot on the brake, it sometimes drops from its normal idle of 700rpm to like 500, bounces off the point right where it's about to stall, then either returns to 700rpm or goes up to 1k!

Secondly, let's say that this red light turns green, I take my foot off the brake and give it gas. My car kind of... putts... like "duhduhduhduh...vroooooooduhdudhuhd.....vrooom"

I know, that was lame but it's the best I could do :p

Also, if I'm accelerating and it decides not to put-put, right when it gets to 1500rpm exactly it will sputter then. And sometimes at 2000rpm almost exactly.

Sometimes I can be driving and it will give one sputter, and keep running...

Any suggestions on how to repair this problem? (My check engine light has been on for a while and it would probably help me to read the code, but I don't know how to do that)

·
master of the custom cai
885 Posts
do a search on "reset the ecu" it will tell u how to read the codes.

and how many miles u got?/ if u got alot, id replace the o2 sensors

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just crossed 115k, but another of my problems is that sometimes the speedo doesn't work, ya gotta bash the plastic cover on the gauge cluster with your knuckles before it jumps back up from 0 to however fast you're going. The previous owner of the car didn't mind that at all... and since when the speedo isn't working the odomoter doesn't turn (I have tested this it's true) I don't really know HOW many miles I have :(

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
pull the little kick panel by your accelerator pedal. see the box sitting there behind the console? thats the ecu. with the ignition in the "on" position but with the engine NOT running, turn the little screw on the ecu all the to right...(?) dont force it. hold it for 2 seconds, then return it. again, dont force it. the red led will start blinking. count the blinks, it will give long blinks and short blinks and then a pause. count the amount of long blinks and jot it down. after you count the short blinks, place that number next to the first number. now you have a code. for example, 5 long blinks, quick pause, 5 short blinks = 55, all normal. got it? when its all done, it might show more than one code, so pay attention. turn the knob AGAIN and hold, then turn it back, this will reset the ecu. good luck!

·
Registered
626 Posts
resetting the ecu will not do any good...I recommend that you check all your vacuum hoses and check your fuel filter(replace it)

IACC valve, injectors, and so on and maybe the O2 sensor

check the cheap stuff first

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
i didnt have him do that to FIX the problem, i posted that to get a code. we need a starting point.

·
I'm The Green Member
2,303 Posts
i have the same problem, my mechanic said that it was a code 32 or 33 and it was my knock sensor, witch makes sense why it is doing the putting part but i am no sure about the idle situation cause it has done it to me ever sense i bought the car so i think that is a saparate issue. i am getting my knock sensor replaced soon so i will let you guys know( by the way i got a 94 gxe)

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
my car has had similar problems with idling low and changing idle like that but not sputtering like you sad(but it has tryed stalling before and prob went away). but for those with just idling probs. i don't no one altima around here especially auto that does not have similar symptoms. my car runs fine other wise. there is just so many possibilities with idling probs. i have replace some stuff and tune ups and nothing. i think some people solved some idling issues with better grounding the car. for overlord there can be a prob. but for everyone else i wouldn't worry. my car is still fine. it will be the day when by accident i come across something when my alti has better idle

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
a lot of people could have different idling problem like most thread i have seen and tons of people give different suggestions. some work some do not. if i come across my problem i will post it. but it seems to me there is just so much and you don't want it to get costly just trying to fix it. get the free stuff done:
make better grounds if you got some stereo 4 gauge lying around
get your alternator amd batt. checked(its free at autozone why not)
check ohms with multimeter for both o2's
i'm sure there is a way to check the maf.(i don't have the manual right now)
idle control valve check(in service man or haynes)
new fuel filter(cheap at laest)
tune up if you haven't done one(try others first so you don't waste the money)
any other suggestions
torque convertor or tranny but i don't think there really is an easy way to check that other than symptoms or if you get a tranny code.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
My 93 auto has a slight problem w/ that though I suspect mine is from a worn out front driver engine mount (upper). Another cause of idle probs is a defective int man gasket which I had: expensive difficult job (manual sugg removing entire head) but fixed the erratic fluctuating. (symptom is a progressively louder whistling as time goes on) Also my car was stalling out (very dangerous in heavy traffic AND auto!). Solution: Cleaning the TB!

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Sounds like a bad plug wire to me ...

·
1,592 Posts
niceguy said:
My 93 auto has a slight problem w/ that though I suspect mine is from a worn out front driver engine mount (upper). Another cause of idle probs is a defective int man gasket which I had: expensive difficult job (manual sugg removing entire head) but fixed the erratic fluctuating. (symptom is a progressively louder whistling as time goes on) Also my car was stalling out (very dangerous in heavy traffic AND auto!). Solution: Cleaning the TB!
exactly which gasket are you talking about? my car makes a whistling sound and has a shitty idle and i'm clueless as to what it is.

·
RIP 6/24/07
1,611 Posts
My car also makes a whistling sound but my car idles fine. 'cept when i am parked and i have the music cranked everytime the bass hits the rpms drop.:D

·
When In Doubt FSCK It !
121 Posts
Anyone please correct me on this one if I am wrong but, I would relate any whistling accompanied by a rough idle with a possible vacuum leak.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
you are correct and the easiest way to find said vacuum leak would be with a spray solution such as soapy water.

·
Registered Member
175 Posts
My car did the Exact same thing as "overlord" and i got the oxygen sensor replaced and it was as good as new. It would sputter between 1000 rpm's and 2000, and not go over about 2200 rpm's. But what do i know?? im a 'newbie.'

1 - 20 of 26 Posts