The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the precat failure that most QR owners suffer from, I had to get a new motor. I was consuming about a quart every two weeks, since I was starting to drive the car more often for school. I looked up on the B15 forum about buying used motors or going the reman route. They say it's best to get a reman and I also seen that they were talking about Karking Auto.

So, about two weeks ago, I had purchased a reman motor from Karking Auto in Ontario, CA. I asked George, the owner, for a quote on one. He said that they had a sale going on a week earlier but still offered the sale to me, even though the sale was over. The sale was the core charge, motor, and shipping all together for $1800. I would have originally paid $2100-$2200 + shipping. So I didn't want that offer to expire and I purchased one on sale. Shipping was stupid fast (3 business days). I shipped my motor straight to my mechanic because Karking requires a commercial address or if shipped to a residential address, there would be a $50 charge.

I let my trusted local mechanic swap the motors out for me. He charged me $918 for labor and fluids. I also had to buy new thermostats, water control valves, and a new valve cover from Nissan ($160 all 3 parts). I didn't use aftermarket parts because of the bad rep from them.

Fast forward a week later, the car is done. Upon start up there was a small whine coming from the pulley/belt area but after driving it for a couple minute, it went away. The motor looks really good. It's super quiet (I'll fix this.) It drives like a new car. Very pleased with this purchase! I only drove it a couple miles but I'll take her out for a drive later. The motor does come with a 6 month warranty. I'll update this as I drive with my new motor.

Pics:

Old motor

New motor

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Glad to know everything went great !

Good props to KarKing Reman for the extended special awarded to you . .

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Awesome! Congrats and thanks for the open review! Im sure it will help others. Glad you got this finally taken care of. I know your happy now. :)

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No more checking the oil every two days. Very happy!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
lol , you bet ! That must be some relief right !

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course!

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to drive the car for a little while today. The power difference is night and day. I know this isn't a race car nor do I plan it to be, but the car is defiantly quicker. It is very responsive on the throttle. I'm just in love.

There are a couple mishaps though. The whining noise that I mentioned in the earlier post is still present. You can't hear the noise when it's at idle but when you drive it or rev, you can hear it and it's pretty loud. I was hoping it would clear up. I was thinking that it may be a belt. I know it can't be the alternator (because that's what it sounds like) cause it's brand new. Can't be nothing wrong with the motor because it's like new. I don't know. I'm going to give it another week to see if it clears up.

Another thing is my steering wheel. It's crooked when I'm driving straight. Is there a way I can fix this?

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I ruled out the alternator. I did the screwdriver trick to see if it was the alternator, it's not. It's gotta be a belt or pulley. On start up you can hear the whine but when it warms up, the noise is gone. I'll figure it out.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,563 Posts
You can fix the steering wheel being cockeyed by having (at least a front end) alignment done at a reputable shop. They are supposed to align the wheel and lock it in place before the alignment starts. If they don't, or it moves during, then your wheel will be off even though the car is tracking true.

Whine: vacuum leak, ps pump, timing chain guide?

PS congrats on the new motor!!

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can fix the steering wheel being cockeyed by having (at least a front end) alignment done at a reputable shop. They are supposed to align the wheel and lock it in place before the alignment starts. If they don't, or it moves during, then your wheel will be off even though the car is tracking true.

Whine: vacuum leak, ps pump, timing chain guide?

PS congrats on the new motor!!
Wouldn't the timing chain guide make a "ticking" noise? It's probably the ps pump because I've had problems with it before.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so it's not the ps pump. I asked my mechanic about the whining noise. He said that it is the timing chain guide. Since the motor is like new he said that it may make that noise but if it doesn't clear up in 1-2 months then call Karking back and get a replacement. It has been getting quieter over the past couple days. It's still in the break-in period. I'll keep this updated.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Help!

Fvckin pissed today. After a week of driving the car, I thought everything would be fine. No, the car stalled while taking my brother to school few minutes ago. The ses light didn't come on but I checked for codes and a couple came up: P0340, P0335, P0725, P1564, and P0330.

The codes seem to be related to the sensors. I've replaced both cam/crank sensors with metal Nissan ones so that couldn't be the problem. You think something happened while the mechanic was working on it, like carelessness? I do have a recall for the ECM that I still need to get fixed.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,563 Posts

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now the ses light is on.:banghead: All these problems didn't persist until after I had the work done.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just called the Nissan dealer. I have 2 recalls, one for the headlights and one for the ECM. I'll be going to get the ECM reprogrammed on Tuesday and today I'm gonna go to my mechanic and see what the heck is going on.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Will check for updates , hope it will be fixed soon & wont cost an arm .

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The mechanic scanned it and cleared the codes. It's the crank sensor again. I don't understand why, it's a brand new OEM Nissan sensor smh!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Any corrosion on the connectors itself !

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first time I replaced it, I didn't see any. The second time the mechanic did it for me. It's hard to get to that thing. SES light is back on now, throwing the 0725 and 0335 codes. I know for sure it's the crank sensor. Time to replace again.

·
Novice Grease Monkey
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I keep thinking that I screwed a wire or something up. When I first replaced the cps, I kept tugging at the wires when I unbolted the sensor. Could I have shortened the sensor's wires out?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts